News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
zippySA
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#526 Post by zippySA » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

[Shuz] wrote:But, I shall leave on a positive note. I know something you don't know. :P
C'mon - we won't tell anyone - what option is getting put up in the budget - or don't you truly know???

metro
Legendary Member!

#527 Post by metro » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Just a thought. Maybe the SA govt should look at adding a number of trams onto the Melbourne order for trams, which wont be finished until 2018. Maybe to run on an extended tram network here.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#528 Post by Waewick » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:My strategy would be to develop a series of smaller routes which link the very inner city suburbs with the CBD and create a 'culture' first, which in turn attracts more passengers - much like Melbourne has - before going on to do the longer-distance routes.

King William Road, Hyde Park - Melbourne Street, North Adelaide would be one such option - $40/$50m million to extend the line either way ($80-$100m) all up? In addition to opening up a new PT corridor within an existing area, you could then remove the need for the City Shuttle (and offload the shuttle trams onto the new route) but still maintain the 7.5 minute frequency down the KWS spine.

Anyways, this kind of discussion is probably best left for the Visions forum.

But, I shall leave on a positive note. I know something you don't know. :P
:sly:

Shuz, can I call you a bastard in a nice way...because that is a real bastard thing to do :hilarious:

claybro

#529 Post by claybro » Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Maybe the coast to coast can wait until the AAMI reidential developement takes place, afterall the other areas such as Bowden/St Clair and Woodville West are already service by heavy rail. Perhaps extending a line along KW rd through North Adelaide and Prospect Road might be next as it would enable the existing Glenelg route to directly serve Adelaide Oval on football days, and also allow for some developement of Prospect road North of Regency Road, and allow those in the inner North direct access to Adelaide Oval as well.

rubberman

#530 Post by rubberman » Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 am

claybro wrote:Maybe the coast to coast can wait until the AAMI reidential developement takes place, afterall the other areas such as Bowden/St Clair and Woodville West are already service by heavy rail. Perhaps extending a line along KW rd through North Adelaide and Prospect Road might be next as it would enable the existing Glenelg route to directly serve Adelaide Oval on football days, and also allow for some developement of Prospect road North of Regency Road, and allow those in the inner North direct access to Adelaide Oval as well.
Not sure where the State will get the money for this. There are plenty of higher priority projects.

In addition, there will be some problem getting the trams through North Adelaide. I cannot imagine O'Connell St being feasible without making provision for other vehicles during the peaks. It might work if there were a road tunnel under O'C St perhaps (same might be said for Melbourne St if we wanted trams there). On the other hand, road tunnels too, while being great for bypassing North Adelaide, fiendishly expensive. Would not that money be better spent elsewhere? That is, even if we had the money. What route would you have in mind?

I don't want to sound negative, my fondest memories of childhood are standing on O'Connell St and watching trams go past, and I would certainly like to see them again (and maybe if we could get the powers that be to gee up the speeds a bit they might even go as fast as the old drop-centres). However, I cannot see this happening for less than a couple of hundred mill, and that could go a long way in other needy transport situations.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#531 Post by Shahkar » Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 pm

[Shuz] wrote:My strategy would be to develop a series of smaller routes which link the very inner city suburbs with the CBD and create a 'culture' first, which in turn attracts more passengers
Agreed.
[Shuz] wrote:But, I shall leave on a positive note. I know something you don't know. :P
I wonder if it's an election promise. :roll:

Waewick

#532 Post by Waewick » Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 am

Nathan wrote:
Waewick wrote:I would have thought the already densely populated areas such as Norwood and Unley would get a gig?

why are we putting trams to places in the hope they grow and avoiding places that people already live?
Because they go through those other areas on the way to the already populated ones. ie. a tram through Kent Town would continue on to Norwood.
Oh I get that, but what I am trying to say is that the problem in SA is underutilisation by patrons.

to me, the most obvious thing to do to increase patronage is to identify the most densly populated inner suburbs and put a tram line to where they go.

For instance, if it was decided that Unley (which I think it is) is the most densely populated area, and the majority travel to Grenhill Rd and CBD (for work) then you create a spur from the King William line, up Greenhill road and down Unley road(or alternately straight down hutt street) which will provide the start of the loop.

You then create the incentives for it's use (i.e dedicated line) and encourage more users (buses from Mitcham terminate at the Tram ending) by doing this you create critical mass immediately - rather than building a tram to nowhere and artificially creating demand for it by pitting cheap parking and making the tram free (cheapening PT in the process)

rubberman

#533 Post by rubberman » Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#534 Post by Shahkar » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Smart doing this early. Wonder if the extension/city loop is going to pop up soon?

By the way, it says "duplication of 300 metre section of single track." It's barely a 100 metres?

Patrick_27

#535 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:01 am

Shahkar wrote:
Smart doing this early. Wonder if the extension/city loop is going to pop up soon?

By the way, it says "duplication of 300 metre section of single track." It's barely a 100 metres?
Better yet, I wonder if they will budget for a re-alignment of the track at Vic Square when that stage of the project commences, and potentially upgrade the track and station between Vic Square and South Terrace, a vital part of the line that remains un-wheel-chair-friendly.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#536 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 pm

So Shuz, what was it?

The Scooter Guy

#537 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:35 pm

North Tce tramway modification works from yesterday. A rare opportunity to see these traffic lights flash yellow!
North Tce tramway modifications by The Scooter Guy, on Flickr

North Tce Tramway Modifications by The Scooter Guy, on Flickr

For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

claybro

#538 Post by claybro » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:45 pm

I probably missed something way back in some thread somewhere, but can anyone tell me why this section of track was single line in the first place? I have heard the usual raised eyebrow comments again in the last couple of days about them "wasting more money on the trams" you know, the usual stuff from folks that never even venture into the city. But it does seem odd, they have to rip this section up so soon after it was laid.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#539 Post by dsriggs » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Entrance to the Convention Centre carpark, iirc.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#540 Post by BillD » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm

I was in Glenelg this morning and luckily had time to grab my camera as H-Type 351 was crossing Brighton Road.
I didn't see it again on-track so I assume that it was on its way back to Glengowrie depot.