News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#961 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:33 pm

Norman wrote:In each direction there are two traffic lanes and one parking lane on The Parade between Fullarton and Portrush Roads. If one traffic lane is taken up by trams that still leaves one traffic lane and one parking lane.
What if NPSP goes ahead and widens the footpaths? That may bring it down to only one lane in each direction. Anyhow. Let's work on the premise that the ironbarks on the median strip remain and the trams will run this strip of The Parade catenary free. I think the parking should go between Sydneham and Portrush Roads. This will cause some issues with business and parking congestion in one or two sidestreets. An unfortunate drawback that goes with the territory, but it opens up an extra lane on each side for traffic flow.

As for buses? They can run in the tram corridor. Better still eliminate them or run them down William Street and Beulah Road (if necessary). One other solution thinking outside the box is have both tram lines on one side of the road. This doesn't solve much though as it will only make way for three lanes on one side. If the ironbarks were removed that would change everything. You then could have the tram lines separated from the roadway and have four traffic lanes with no parking.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#962 Post by Splashmo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 am

It's not as simple as just turning the parking lane into traffic - you'd also have to cut back all the wider footpaths that extend out to the traffic (i.e. at the pedestrian crossing and George St). Not sure that would be a good outcome.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#963 Post by fishinajar » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Lets not forget that NPSP council is currently creating a new masterplan for the parade which will determine among other things footpath and street alignments, and I would expect some consideration of the future of how trees will be incorporated into the future. At present the ironbark trees are planted in too narrow a planter strip and the centre lanes are constantly being lifted.

The new masterplan is being cofunded and created in conjunction with DPTI to "ensure that the Masterplan integrates components such as transport".

I would say bye bye ironbarks and centre strip, hello dedicated tram lane, car lane, parking lane, and wider footpath. I would also say the section between Portrush and Fullarton to be reduced speed, which together with legal on street riding and other cycle friedly streets adjacent would negate need for a doorjam style bikelane.

rubberman

#964 Post by rubberman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Ho, you don't have to worry about catenary. Adelaide has only ever contemplated it for the Glenelg line in the very early days (There were towers built at South Terrace and Brighton Rd, but that's about it). Some countries overseas use it in the CBD in lieu of feeders. It's pretty much a heavy rail feature. So, I don't ever see it along the Parade. It's more likely to be standard tram overhead, or maybe at worst, the excessive gold plated stuff they have down the Glenelg line atm. :roll:

Buses can and should run in the tram corridor. If streets have one lane removed for public transport, it's only fair that the buses use the tram stops and lanes. Unless they put in those nutty centre island stops. :sly:

If they had normal stops down Nth Tce and Port Rd, buses could move from the roads, onto the tram corridor, and thus make it easier for motorists, and faster for the buses. But no, nutty center island stops. :wallbash:

Ho Really

#965 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Splashmo wrote:It's not as simple as just turning the parking lane into traffic - you'd also have to cut back all the wider footpaths that extend out to the traffic (i.e. at the pedestrian crossing and George St). Not sure that would be a good outcome.
Sorry, I forgot there's no room in those parking bays for an extra lane. At maximum it may be a third of a lane. Not enough I would think to change anything. As for wider footpaths these are not necessary unless you have cafes or eateries everywhere. The Parade is still a main thoroughfare. Australians need to understand that cafes and eateries do not belong on main roads. Period. They belong in pedestrian malls and lanes or sidestreets closed to automobile traffic. Unfortunately we have this misconception that Aussie cities need to be like European cities. With this in mind the only real solution would be to close The Parade off to vehicular traffic. What response will you get from traders and those requiring car access to The Parade?

That wide footpath at George Street is a pain in the backside for turning traffic. Made worse by the bus stop on the northern side next to the NPSP council chambers. I live at Norwood and use this crossing several times a day as well as the other crossing at Coles/Foodland. What advantage has the widening given pedestrians I don't know. Maybe good for drunks who need more room. Anyway nothing will change. These footpaths will not be taken back. I'm the sort who doesn't like things in half-measures. Either give cars more space so they can move along without having to stop-start or ban cars altogether. Half and half will mean cars will have to run at 25~40Kph on this stretch. Bad for fuel economy and good for those seeking to breathe even more fumes. I hope I've made sense.

Cheers

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#966 Post by Goodsy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Splashmo wrote:It's not as simple as just turning the parking lane into traffic - you'd also have to cut back all the wider footpaths that extend out to the traffic (i.e. at the pedestrian crossing and George St). Not sure that would be a good outcome.
Sorry, I forgot there's no room in those parking bays for an extra lane. At maximum it may be a third of a lane. Not enough I would think to change anything. As for wider footpaths these are not necessary unless you have cafes or eateries everywhere. The Parade is still a main thoroughfare. Australians need to understand that cafes and eateries do not belong on main roads. Period. They belong in pedestrian malls and lanes or sidestreets closed to automobile traffic. Unfortunately we have this misconception that Aussie cities need to be like European cities. With this in mind the only real solution would be to close The Parade off to vehicular traffic. What response will you get from traders and those requiring car access to The Parade?

That wide footpath at George Street is a pain in the backside for turning traffic. Made worse by the bus stop on the northern side next to the NPSP council chambers. I live at Norwood and use this crossing several times a day as well as the other crossing at Coles/Foodland. What advantage has the widening given pedestrians I don't know. Maybe good for drunks who need more room. Anyway nothing will change. These footpaths will not be taken back. I'm the sort who doesn't like things in half-measures. Either give cars more space so they can move along without having to stop-start or ban cars altogether. Half and half will mean cars will have to run at 25~40Kph on this stretch. Bad for fuel economy and good for those seeking to breathe even more fumes. I hope I've made sense.

Cheers
Make the Parade a no through road at Fullarton Road, problem solved.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#967 Post by fishinajar » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 pm

A few mentions of busses down the Parade in addition to trams. I would think that if they do put the tramline along The Parade to the Proposed UniSA Magill terminus, bus services would be adjusted accordingly. A couple would probably be removed altogether with the remainder going down Magill or Kensington Roads. Ie: No buses along The Parade as well as buses.
Maybe some of these lines could cross over from either the the Magill or Kensington Roads corridors to the other along Osmond Terrace. This would provided a service transfer point/people could walk to most spots along the Fullarton to Portrush section from there?

Also,
rubberman wrote:nutty center island stops. :wallbash:
Rubberman...why the hate on centre stops?

Waewick

#968 Post by Waewick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:22 pm

fishinajar wrote:A few mentions of busses down the Parade in addition to trams. I would think that if they do put the tramline along The Parade to the Proposed UniSA Magill terminus, bus services would be adjusted accordingly. A couple would probably be removed altogether with the remainder going down Magill or Kensington Roads. Ie: No buses along The Parade as well as buses.
Maybe some of these lines could cross over from either the the Magill or Kensington Roads corridors to the other along Osmond Terrace. This would provided a service transfer point/people could walk to most spots along the Fullarton to Portrush section from there?

Also,
agree, once or the other (trams hopefully)

Ho Really

#969 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Make the Parade a no through road at Fullarton Road, problem solved.
How about from Osmond Terrace to Portrush Road? At least traffic can circumvent this part of The Parade by either using Beulah Road and William Street. Of course people living down these streets would be dead against it. They live in relative peace outside peak hours at the moment.
fishinajar wrote:A few mentions of busses down the Parade in addition to trams...
Continuing from above and answering fishinajar... Or ban all traffic except buses that are now currently using The Parade (H22 and so forth). Bet you then most would be happy with that having PT at their doorsteps. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

rubberman

#970 Post by rubberman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:56 pm

fishinajar wrote:A few mentions of busses down the Parade in addition to trams. I would think that if they do put the tramline along The Parade to the Proposed UniSA Magill terminus, bus services would be adjusted accordingly. A couple would probably be removed altogether with the remainder going down Magill or Kensington Roads. Ie: No buses along The Parade as well as buses.

Also,
Simply because if you have centre island stops you can't run buses on the tram lane. The buses don't have doors that side.

Why is that a problem? Well, if you look at standard European practice, buses often run in the tram reservations in narrow streets. That means that long suffering motorists don't have to deal with losing a lane to trams PLUS having to deal with buses as well. It also means much more efficient use of the tram corridor. For example if we look at the tram extension to the entertainment centre, motorists lost a lane down North Terrace up to the Adam St intersection. However, they still get held up by buses stopping at bus stops, changing lanes etc. The buses in turn are slowed by the loss of a lane to the trams. That tram lane, even at peak hours is underutilised.

Had those centre island stops been bog standard tram stops, that lane could be utilised by buses. That would not have interfered with the trams, would have hugely sped up the speed of the buses in Nth Tce and down to the Entertainment Centre, and also freed up that stretch for motorists.

Furthermore, imagine if the next generation of trams is even a few meters longer. How do you extend a centre island stop without digging up the track curves? On every.single.stop. It's not just a matter of digging up the track either. The whole subgrade under tram track has to be dug up and reinforced. Whereas a bog standard tram stop, just lengthen the stop if future new trams are longer. No trackwork required, no special subgrade preparation required, no interruption to service required.

It's worse than nutty, it's a gross waste of public money that will cost millions to fix if ever longer trams are required, and precludes efficient use of an extremely expensive corridor to the detriment of bus and car users along that stretch of road. There's a reason why tram stops have been the way they are for over 100 years.

Use of standard tram stops and allowing buses to use the corridor in the Parade, could see buses being taken FROM Magill Rd etc and making it easier for motorists as well as tram travellers. But who cares about taxpayers anyway? It's not as if it matters if they are gouged unnecessarily plus being inconvenienced as well. Those islands look nice. That's what's important.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... to-license

Nathan

#971 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:27 pm

rubberman wrote:For example if we look at the tram extension to the entertainment centre, motorists lost a lane down North Terrace up to the Adam St intersection.
No lanes were lost along Port Rd between West Tce and Entertainment Centre.

claybro

#972 Post by claybro » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:15 am

North terrace west end from my memory was also always only 2 lanes... Or no traffic lanes lost.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#973 Post by AG » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:50 am

claybro wrote:North terrace west end from my memory was also always only 2 lanes... Or no traffic lanes lost.
Nope, it was definitely three lanes each way prior to the new extensions being constructed.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#974 Post by fishinajar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:18 am

rubberman wrote:Simply because if you have centre island stops you can't run buses on the tram lane. The buses don't have doors that side.
Thanks for clarifying rubberman. Problem is then you can't have people being safely dropped off or taxi pickups. Also any taxi or loading bays would not be possible without taking huge chunks out of whatever footpath there is, unless you had some arrangement of say footpath, tram lane, loading/pickup/drop-off/parking lane, then regular traffic lane...but that seems a bit nutty :wink:

Llessur2002

#975 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 am

AG wrote:Nope, it was definitely three lanes each way prior to the new extensions being constructed.
You mean this bit that's two lanes plus parking?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.921 ... 328!8i1664
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.921 ... 328!8i1664