News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1186 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:59 am

Alyx wrote:
Waewick wrote:What is that?
One of the two H type trams retained and restored by Adelaide Metro. They were originally to be used on Sunday tourist services, but are now only available for charter.

The second tram, 351, looks like this.
351 is in the original burgundy livery we're all used to. 352 has been given the MTT silver look that the trams had in the 1950's and 1960's.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1187 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:49 pm

A number of MCAs (Multi-criteria analysis reports) have been released for all the proposed routes.

You can find them here: http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... elaide/faq

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1188 Post by rev » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:26 pm

New tram routes proposed for Adelaide

Political Reporter Lauren Novak, The Advertiser
November 9, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only

DECADES after we ripped up the tramlines crisscrossing Adelaide, plans are now being prepared to re-lay the tracks.

Four proposed city tram loop extensions have been released for public consultation, including an option to run a tramline through the centre of Victoria Square and past the Central Market.

The State Government is yet to choose its preferred option and is consulting councils and the public.

Proposals have also been released for tramline extensions to Unley, Norwood, Port Adelaide, Prospect and Henley Beach. Preferred options in each of those cases have been identified.

The plans are part of a $4 million business case being prepared for the Federal Government, to lobby for federal funding for the extensions.

The preferred proposed new tram routes across the city.

Old tram tracks under North Tce were discovered during construction works. Source: SA Government.
The CBD tram loop options include routes from North Tce along:

FROME St to Pulteney and Halifax streets, and along Morphett St.

HUTT St and Halifax St, then west to Morphett St.

HUTT St to Angas St — with an option to go west along Wakefield St, through Victoria Square — and right, onto Morphett St.

PULTENEY St, down Halifax St and right, onto Morphett St.

All options turn left on Currie St and join West Tce at Glover Ave.

The final design for the CBD loop would depend on choices made on suburban tram extensions and where these would connect with CBD thoroughfares.

Detailed reports released by the State Government also outline options for routes to extend tramlines into the suburbs.

Preferred routes have been chosen based on analysis of criteria including potential passenger numbers, traffic impacts and construction costs.

Preferred extensions to:

ADELAIDE’S East would run along The Parade at Norwood and Upper Magill Rd.

PORT Adelaide would convert the Outer Harbor train line to light rail and erect tramlines to West Lakes and Grange, with an option to extend to Henley Beach.

PROSPECT via Prospect Rd and O’Connell St in North Adelaide.

UNLEY via Unley and Belair roads.

HENLEY Beach down Glover Ave and Henley Beach Rd, with a spur line to the airport via Airport Rd.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said Adelaide firm InfraPlan had designed the business case, which would likely be finalised and ready to submit to the Federal Government before the federal Budget mid-next year.

Tram lines are laid on the corner of King William Street and North Tce in 1908.
Mr Mullighan said the Government was seeking community feedback on each of the options before making final recommendations.

“Expanding our tram network will drive development and boost jobs along tram corridors, while getting more people into public transport and reducing pressure on our roads,” he said.

Meanwhile, construction workers carrying out preliminary works for a tram extension east along North Tce have discovered buried tram tracks from Adelaide’s past.

Old sleepers and concrete slabs from the city’s historic tram tracks — built between 1878 and 1883 — have been unearthed using 3D scanning technology.

Much of the tram network was removed or covered by bitumen during the 1950s — except for the Glenelg tram line.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1189 Post by rev » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 pm

It would be nice if they could find a route to run along the metro coast linking Glenelg to the Port and the popular beaches along the way, in summer especially it would be a popular service and in winter they could reduce frequency.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1190 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:40 pm

I do like the idea of the trams to the port using the Torrens Junction and War Memorial Drive, it would be a lot quicker than Port Road. The addition of the tram to Grange Road is interesting, but could be a corridor for more medium density housing and mixed-use buildings.

You would hope they get a move on with this soon as the plans for Torrens Junction are already on the DAC website.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1191 Post by PeFe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:47 am

Is this map missing the tram line down Henley Beach Rd to Henley Square?
This is the only proposal I can see happening in the next 20 years (excluding the Outer harbor light rail debate.....)

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1192 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 pm

If the Outer harbor train get change over to light rail I will not use PT anymore and I know a lot of people who said the same.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1193 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

PeFe wrote:
This is the only proposal I can see happening in the next 20 years (excluding the Outer harbor light rail debate.....)
The reports say that an extension of the Grange Line to Henley Beach is better value for money. I haven't ready the reports thoroughly though so I don't have the exact reasons.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1194 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Norman wrote:
PeFe wrote:

The reports say that an extension of the Grange Line to Henley Beach is better value for money. I haven't read the reports thoroughly though so I don't have the exact reasons.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1195 Post by ml69 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:06 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:If the Outer harbor train get change over to light rail I will not use PT anymore and I know a lot of people who said the same.
Why? If the Port tram follows the proposed new alignment along War Memorial Drive, it would only be marginally slower than a train (avoiding the congested Hindmarsh to City section of the existing tramline), PLUS you get the benefit of continuing your journey all the way to Vic Square if need be .... can't do that on a train.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#1196 Post by Zills » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm with PAFC - I won't be ditching public transport, but as a user of the OH line I will be choosing the bus on Port Road over the tram. I'm all for trams in inner Adelaide (city loop, Norwood, Magill etc) but this vision isn't the right fit and we know this because it takes 40+ minutes from Adelaide station to Glenelg (the numerous stops don't help). In my view, this is not good enough. If you're not sure, I implore you to travel the world and experience for yourself what a good PT system should be. I feel like we are getting screwed here..

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1197 Post by rubberman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Zills wrote:I'm with PAFC - I won't be ditching public transport, but as a user of the OH line I will be choosing the bus on Port Road over the tram. I'm all for trams in inner Adelaide (city loop, Norwood, Magill etc) but this vision isn't the right fit and we know this because it takes 40+ minutes from Adelaide station to Glenelg (the numerous stops don't help). In my view, this is not good enough. If you're not sure, I implore you to travel the world and experience for yourself what a good PT system should be. I feel like we are getting screwed here..
Some comments. Yes, we are being screwed somewhat. However, it's more because we really don't have much in the way of real tramway expertise in Australia. Rather, we get light rail, which is generally more expensive and slower running.

Were we to get expertise in from Germany, Czech Republic or Poland, then we could run trams rather than light rail, and they would be both faster and cheaper.

Perhaps not as stylish as the French inspired light rail, but faster and cheaper. By a big margin.

In addition, if we ran trams with stops using Kassel kerbs, like many cities do, we could run buses on the tramlines as well to improve utilisation and flexibility.

Finally, I go to the city from Bowden 3x per week, and can either catch a tram or train - whichever is first. Mostly the tram is what I get. It's pretty fast till Morphett St. Thereafter slow as a wet week. However, that's a quick traffic light fix. Were we wanting to speed up the trams.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1198 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Zills wrote:I'm with PAFC - I won't be ditching public transport, but as a user of the OH line I will be choosing the bus on Port Road over the tram. I'm all for trams in inner Adelaide (city loop, Norwood, Magill etc) but this vision isn't the right fit and we know this because it takes 40+ minutes from Adelaide station to Glenelg (the numerous stops don't help). In my view, this is not good enough. If you're not sure, I implore you to travel the world and experience for yourself what a good PT system should be. I feel like we are getting screwed here..
Buses are a bit harder for me as a I am in a Wheelchair. Trams are a good idea but only in the CBD and for short trips.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1199 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:54 pm

There is an option included for trains to continue electrified. I suggest you go to the open day in a few weeks and voice your opinion to make sure you are heard.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1200 Post by Splashmo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Surely it would cost millions more to convert all of the Outer Harbor train stations to suit trams as well?

Then again some of them look pretty dodgy (ie. Albert Park) so some investment might not go astray.