News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1351 Post by fishinajar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 pm

skyliner wrote:Now we are talking tram numbers and expense, does anyone know how many trams were used at the height of the original system - seems like they were everywhere. Will be some guide to the rebuilt system as well as expenses.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Drastically different situation and stock.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1352 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:01 pm

I do realise this but some aspects are still relevant - ie timetabling and frequencies etc. So you don't know the number of trams then???

Jack.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1353 Post by fishinajar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 pm

skyliner wrote:I do realise this but some aspects are still relevant - ie timetabling and frequencies etc. So you don't know the number of trams then???

Lol. No idea skyliner. Try wiki? ;)

EBG

#1354 Post by EBG » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Try Adelaide tram museum at

http://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/

This gives various dates and numbers of the various batches of trams .

PeFe

#1355 Post by PeFe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 pm

An article from In Daily discussing the aims and progress of the AdelLink trame extensions. No new details unfortunately.
Tram planning as part of a bigger public transport picture

The next year will be pivotal in determining the future of Adelaide’s public transport system as the State Government continues its drive to significantly increase patronage.
Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan says the State Government has invested $1.4 billion in public transport infrastructure in the past five years, and double that amount since 2003/04.

He points to the importance of the $160 million O-Bahn extension and the electrification and extension of existing train routes, in particular the $152.4 million Gawler line electrification and the $85 million project to take the Tonsley line through to Flinders University and Flinders Medical Centre.

A $4 million study into the new AdeLINK tram network across the CBD and inner suburbs is well underway with community consultation on a range of route operations.

A key element of the Government’s Integrated Transport and Land Use Plan (ITLUP), a range of route options for the AdeLINK network has been part of the community consultation and soon the State Government will refine the options and prepare a proposal and detailed business case.
That will determine the route of the expanded tram network.

Full article : http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/03/22/t ... t-picture/

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#1356 Post by Haso » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 pm

What about this sentence… Work on a city loop will begin later this year from today article –
(Link again http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/03/22/t ... t-picture/
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Llessur2002

#1357 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Haso wrote:.
What about this sentence… Work on a city loop will begin later this year from today article –
(Link again http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/03/22/t ... t-picture/
Nothing to get too excited about - the North Terrace extension is technically the first step (well, arguably the second after the West Terrace extension) of the city loop.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1358 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 pm

can someone explain to me why most traffic light sequences do not give trams priority
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

rubberman

#1359 Post by rubberman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:can someone explain to me why most traffic light sequences do not give trams priority
Good question. To which I would add: Why do trams travel so slowly in the reserved track from South Terrace to Brighton Road, compared to the normal tram speeds from the Entercentre to City West? If anything, one would expect even faster speeds in the reserved track.

Point being, with shorter travel times facilitated by better traffic light cycles and normal tram speeds from South Tce to Brighton Rd., maybe we wouldn't need the extra trams for Nth Terrace.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#1360 Post by Haso » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Roadshow events about DPTI future projects.
Does anyone have some time today/tonight to find out what’s going on with North Terrace and so on…? I can’t.

Arndale shopping centre
Date: Thursday 30 March 2017
Time: 9am to 9pm

Next one is at:

Marion shopping centre
Date: Thursday 27 April 2017
Time: 9am to 9pm
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

The Scooter Guy

#1361 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:10 pm

I assume works on North Tce will start in Mid May.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1362 Post by arki » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 pm

rubberman wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote:can someone explain to me why most traffic light sequences do not give trams priority
Good question. To which I would add: Why do trams travel so slowly in the reserved track from South Terrace to Brighton Road, compared to the normal tram speeds from the Entercentre to City West? If anything, one would expect even faster speeds in the reserved track.

Point being, with shorter travel times facilitated by better traffic light cycles and normal tram speeds from South Tce to Brighton Rd., maybe we wouldn't need the extra trams for Nth Terrace.
I travel on the tram every day and the speeds on the reserved track are usually around 60km/h - nothing wrong with this IMO. The issue is as OlympusAnt rightfully points out the lack of priority for trams on signalling within the CBD and most frustratingly the tram not having right of way on King WIlliam St South. They should either prohibit right hand turns or just bite the bullet and allow hook turns.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1363 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:39 am

The tram is a bit slow from Glenelg to South Tce, 26mins to cover 10km, in comparison the train from Brighton is 28min to cover 16km (all stops). The big problem is the 14mins the tram takes to get from South Tce to the train station. In comparison the bus takes 28mins to get to Rundle mall, the tram is about 36mins and has 5 less stops and a right of way, it should clearly take less then 28mins.

rubberman

#1364 Post by rubberman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 am

Torrens_5022 wrote:The tram is a bit slow from Glenelg to South Tce, 26mins to cover 10km, in comparison the train from Brighton is 28min to cover 16km (all stops). The big problem is the 14mins the tram takes to get from South Tce to the train station. In comparison the bus takes 28mins to get to Rundle mall, the tram is about 36mins and has 5 less stops and a right of way, it should clearly take less then 28mins.
Precisely. :cheers: I don’t doubt that they might get up to 60kmh occasionally. However, if that was done regularly, how is it possible that it is slower than the Anzac Highway bus, with more stops and having to negotiate traffic? I'd also point out that the Anzac Highway bus has front door loading, whereas the trams load/unload all doors, so even dwell times at tram stops should be lower. The ONLY variable making trams slower over this comparable stretch is average track speed. Physics. :mrgreen:

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1365 Post by arki » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm

rubberman wrote:
Torrens_5022 wrote:The tram is a bit slow from Glenelg to South Tce, 26mins to cover 10km, in comparison the train from Brighton is 28min to cover 16km (all stops). The big problem is the 14mins the tram takes to get from South Tce to the train station. In comparison the bus takes 28mins to get to Rundle mall, the tram is about 36mins and has 5 less stops and a right of way, it should clearly take less then 28mins.
Precisely. :cheers: I don’t doubt that they might get up to 60kmh occasionally. However, if that was done regularly, how is it possible that it is slower than the Anzac Highway bus, with more stops and having to negotiate traffic? I'd also point out that the Anzac Highway bus has front door loading, whereas the trams load/unload all doors, so even dwell times at tram stops should be lower. The ONLY variable making trams slower over this comparable stretch is average track speed. Physics. :mrgreen:
I have noticed it often depends on the driver as well. The good ones accelerate and decelerate quickly (still ensuring a comfortable ride) while others go frustratingly slow. Does anyone know if there is an actual speed limit for the tram line?