News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1981 Post by rubberman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am
rubberman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am
Kasey771 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am

Is that what that was? Thanks I caught the very last sentence of that report about the bridge having switched over after the news started. Very frustrating. So is the work now the work at the north tce/KW intersection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder what tram axle load that bridge was designed for? I mean, it could take coupled H cars, and likely had some safety margin over that.
Whatever it was, I imagine it didn't predict potentially having multiple heavy vans and buses on the bridge at the same time as those trams.
I'm not sure how that would make a difference. Why would a heavy semi next to another semi be different to a tram next to a semi? I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, but it seems a little odd that, for example, Bridges over the Yarra designed for trams around the same era can carry modern trams and heavy vans and buses, but we need to spend millions. There may be a perfectly good reason, I'm just curious to know what that might be. Maybe they did the City Bridge here on the cheap?

FWIW, I agree with the decision not to spend $$ on extra curves at the intersection.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1982 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm
Honestly, the Government should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $30m on these two improvements. Get it done now and out of the way and lock it in, on the off-chance that the Liberals get into government next March, because we all know nothing will ever be done while they are in power.
As a person who leans Liberal based on economic principles, I am less than impressed by Steven Marshall's Public Transport 'plan' (what plan?). A functional city should split its transport budget roughly:
1/3 road network,
1/3 Public Transport, and
1/3 active transport(improving walkability & cycling infrastructure)

not the 100% roads we've been doing for the last 3-5 decades. :wallbash: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1983 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Honestly, the Government should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $30m on these two improvements. Get it done now and out of the way and lock it in, on the off-chance that the Liberals get into government next March, because we all know nothing will ever be done while they are in power.
As a person who leans Liberal based on economic principles, I am less than impressed by Steven Marshall's Public Transport 'plan' (what plan?). A functional city should split its transport budget roughly:
1/3 road network,

not the 100% roads we've been doing for the last 3-5 decades. :wallbash: :wallbash:
That's not true, there have been several public transport projects and rail upgrades in the last decade or so. Not as much as it could be, but still more than $1b.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1984 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm
Kasey771 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
1/3 road network,

That's not true, there have been several public transport projects and rail upgrades in the last decade or so. Not as much as it could be, but still more than $1b.
In the interests of full disclosure I live in Para Hills West so am pretty peeved that the Gawler Line electrification seems to be a bit of a unicorrn( its been described but nobody ever thinks we'll see one)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1985 Post by citywatcher » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Honestly, the Government should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $30m on these two improvements. Get it done now and out of the way and lock it in, on the off-chance that the Liberals get into government next March, because we all know nothing will ever be done while they are in power.
Never a truer word spoken

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1986 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am

According to Jon Whelan who is the DPTI project general manager for the tram extension( ABC 891 this morning) it is planned to run trams from the Entertainment Centre along North Terrace to East Terrace--meaning no trams from Glenelg will go to the Entertainment Centre when the new service starts.
Trams from Glenelg will either go to the Adelaide Railway Station or Festival Plaza. Tram frequencies along North Terrace in peak hours would be every 7/8 minutes.
Last edited by adelaide transport on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1987 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am
According to John Whelan who is the DPTI project officer for the tram extension( ABC 891 this morning) it is planned to run trams from the Entertainment Centre along North Terrace to East Terrace--meaning no trams from Glenelg will go to the Entertainment Centre when the new service starts.
Trams from Glenelg will either go to the Adelaide Railway Station or Festival Plaza. Tram frequencies along North Terrace in peak hours would be every 7/8 minutes.
So basically a N/S tram and an E/W tram? KISS in order to ease Adelaideans into the change? :applause: :applause:

[Shuz]

#1988 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am

Well if they had just come out and explained that from the onset, there wouldn't be so much media and public backlash about the right hand turn from KWS onto North Terrace. Honestly, DPTI's communications team couldn't run a chook raffle. It's pathetic.

With east-west running; it seems likely that there will be an announcement soon of a tram extension to Norwood. There's an election upcoming and Steven Marshall only holds Dunstan by 6.2%. With NXT in play, this is not a safe seat anymore. Expect this to be one of the big-ticket PT election promises from Labor.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#1989 Post by Nathan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

According to John Whelan who is the DPTI project officer for the tram extension( ABC 891 this morning) it is planned to run trams from the Entertainment Centre along North Terrace to East Terrace--meaning no trams from Glenelg will go to the Entertainment Centre when the new service starts.
Wouldn't the Glenelg service terminate at West Tce, where they've got the set up to turn back (not to mention service the medical precinct and Uni)?

Otherwise, all makes sense to me. Personally, it works well for me to get to work (on days I don't ride), but not as well for getting to the market. But if they can get the timetabling right such that transfer times are minimal, it should be a non-issue.

I get the sense most of the out-cry currently being fanned by the paper is by people just looking for an excuse to bitch and moan at the government. Had they planned to put the turn in, then the same people would be bitching and moaning about the cost of a turn no-one would use (or in complainer parlance, "a turn to nowhere").

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1990 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

I have listened again to the interview and yes I made a mistake -trams from Glenelg will terminate at the West Terrace stop.

PeFe

#1991 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Surely not.......any tram that turns left into North terrace will terminate at West Terrace (supposedly about to be renamed Royal Adelaide Hospital tram stop) where the turnback is.....

And a right turn at King William would have added $20 million dollars to the project.......

Yes the government should have been explicit with the detail when the project was announced, and it doesn't help that there is a section of the Adelaide population that think the tram should "go everywhere".....the concept of more than one tram route (requiring to get off one tram and get on another) just doesn't compute with them.

PeFe

#1992 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I just saw your answer Adelaide Transport after I posted......

rubberman

#1993 Post by rubberman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm
Surely not.......any tram that turns left into North terrace will terminate at West Terrace (supposedly about to be renamed Royal Adelaide Hospital tram stop) where the turnback is.....

And a right turn at King William would have added $20 million dollars to the project.......

Yes the government should have been explicit with the detail when the project was announced, and it doesn't help that there is a section of the Adelaide population that think the tram should "go everywhere".....the concept of more than one tram route (requiring to get off one tram and get on another) just doesn't compute with them.
There is a crossover at Adelaide Railway Station, but West Terrace and/or Festival Centre are the logical termini because of the facility to wait.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1994 Post by Eurostar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:03 pm

King William Road section could be used for a siding to store trams for peak hour services and I feel it might be only used on event days such as AFL games and Cricket matches.

rubberman

#1995 Post by rubberman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:03 pm
King William Road section could be used for a siding to store trams for peak hour services and I feel it might be only used on event days such as AFL games and Cricket matches.k
You may well be right. However, they have installed a scissors crossover at the terminus. That implies a somewhat heavy use of the stop, even though the crossover is of an outdated design. Having said that, I really don't know what they have in mind, but why install a scissors crossover for infrequent use?

I should add that what is stranger is that scissors crossovers with old tech facing points are not something you'd install if there was any intention of extending the track any time in the near future. Those points are ok for termini where the speeds are low, but these days high speed points are used if they are not at termini. Again, I don't know what the background is, but it certainly looks like the Riverbank and North Terrace termini are there for some long time.