News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2011 Post by Eurostar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Will409 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:47 pm
There are pdf files online showing the future plans including the City Loop route. Perhaps within the next 10 years we will have trams going to more suburbs, a tram every few minutes within the City and quick easy seamless transfers.
http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... _FINAL.pdf

I think this file may be what you are looking for. This appears to be part of the formal Business Case being prepared for the future expansion of the network and it does make for interesting reading.
I recommend people curious about the proposed tram lines go to a link like above rather than read Murdoch Papers aka The Advertiser articles

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2012 Post by adelaide transport » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:47 pm
There are around 12 trams required to do West End to Glenelg route. At least a handful required to do Hindmarsh to Botanic Gardens route.

In Melbourne its common to change trams, should be common here too. Tough!

There are pdf files online showing the future plans including the City Loop route. Perhaps within the next 10 years we will have trams going to more suburbs, a tram every few minutes within the City and quick easy seamless transfers.
Currently 18 trams are required for AM and PM peaks between Glenelg and The Entertainment Centre-meaning 3 spares in the Depot. Under the new timetable assuming the same frequencies and departure times 2/3 less trams would be needed for this service,that will terminate at West Terrace(RAH). Coupled with the 3 Citadis due next month from Spain this would enable a 5 minute peak service between The Entertainment Centre and East Terrace, which would more than meet the needs of the travelling public.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2013 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Spent yesterday and the day before that in Sydney. Since last being there in July, I'm surprised at how slow the work on the George Street tram is. I get it's a bigger and more difficult job, but the lack of progress visible to a pedestrian like me was alarming.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#2014 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Yesterday I took a ride on the tram for the first time in six years. Is it common for them to be so crowded? I wouldn't mind an extra tram or two for the Glenelg - Entertainment Centre part alone to ease the congestion.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2015 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 pm
Yesterday I took a ride on the tram for the first time in six years. Is it common for them to be so crowded? I wouldn't mind an extra tram or two for the Glenelg - Entertainment Centre part alone to ease the congestion.
That could depend on a lot of things. Was the tram you were on late? Was it peak hour? Was it beach weather?

I find the tram is most crowded between Victoria Square and the Railway Station, apart from that it's not too bad.

[Shuz]

#2016 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 am

Yeah, it's so crowded between ARS and Victoria Square because there's a particular group of people who are too lazy to walk one or two stops. It's frustrating.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2017 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 am
Yeah, it's so crowded between ARS and Victoria Square because there's a particular group of people who are too lazy to walk one or two stops. It's frustrating.
Surely that is what the service is for!

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2018 Post by mawsonguy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I occasionally have to go from Victoria Square to the Railway Station. I find that, unless their is a tram waiting at the tram stop, it is usually quicker to walk.

rubberman

#2019 Post by rubberman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:17 pm
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
That could depend on a lot of things. Was the tram you were on late? Was it peak hour? Was it beach weather?

I find the tram is most crowded between Victoria Square and the Railway Station, apart from that it's not too bad.
FWIW. I was at the Entertainment Centre today.

1728, tram arrived packed solid, too many to count.
1730, next tram 51 passengers got out.
1732 next tram 12 passengers.

When one tram is slow for any reason, people still cram on, even if an empty tram is in sight. That makes it even slower. So, trams then bunch up.

Nort

#2020 Post by Nort » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm

rubberman wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm
Norman wrote:
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:

FWIW. I was at the Entertainment Centre today.

1728, tram arrived packed solid, too many to count.
1730, next tram 51 passengers got out.
1732 next tram 12 passengers.

When one tram is slow for any reason, people still cram on, even if an empty tram is in sight. That makes it even slower. So, trams then bunch up.
Part of the problem could be people don't know that the next one is going to be empty and assume that the entire line is busy.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2021 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Relevant
Why three buses come at once, and how to avoid it

Anyone who has waited for a bus knows the routine: you wait far longer than you should, then three come along at once. The problem, called “platooning”, plagues buses, trains and even elevators.

Now systems complexity researchers Carlos Gershenson and Luis Pineda of the National Autonomous University of Mexico have devised a mathematical model that shows how the problem might be prevented: transport managers need to get a little meaner about boarding times, and passengers should realise that jumping on the first train or bus that arrives won’t always help them reach a destination faster.

Full article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.new ... id-it/amp/
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#2022 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Norman wrote:
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:

Wednesday afternoon, got on at South Terrace, off at Railway station. I guess the heat and distance had a lot to do with it.

rubberman

#2023 Post by rubberman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 pm
Spent yesterday and the day before that in Sydney. Since last being there in July, I'm surprised at how slow the work on the George Street tram is. I get it's a bigger and more difficult job, but the lack of progress visible to a pedestrian like me was alarming.
It's a bigger and more difficult job for sure. But. Check their facebook page and check out the construction!

They are going to run Citadis - longer than ours, but essentially the same axle loads. Then check the track construction photos. There's one showing a ute in the trench where the track is. It's dug down to window level!!! :sly:

So, either we here are doing something wrong and our track is seriously underdesigned. Or, Sydney's track construction is waaaay over the top. As I contemplate Citadis running down King William Street without causing major track failure, I reckon I'll bet on Adelaide having it right, comparatively speaking.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2024 Post by Eurostar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
It's a bigger and more difficult job for sure. But. Check their facebook page and check out the construction!

They are going to run Citadis - longer than ours, but essentially the same axle loads. Then check the track construction photos. There's one showing a ute in the trench where the track is. It's dug down to window level!!! :sly:

So, either we here are doing something wrong and our track is seriously underdesigned. Or, Sydney's track construction is waaaay over the top. As I contemplate Citadis running down King William Street without causing major track failure, I reckon I'll bet on Adelaide having it right, comparatively speaking.
the section of track on George Street in Sydney is meant to be wireless/third rail if I remember rightly

rubberman

#2025 Post by rubberman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm
rubberman wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:

the section of track on George Street in Sydney is meant to be wireless/third rail if I remember rightly
True, but that's not load bearing at all, so half a ute deep? :?