News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2806 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm
The $37m price tag was a whipped up during the election campaign by one of the Parliament House staffers with details provided by the Greens. IMO, I'd rather see that $37 go towards taking the tram over the Torrens and halfway to O'Connell Street.
The price tag came from the Parliamentary Budget Advisory Service, which provides independent costings for policies to all parties. The findings were requested by the Greens MLC Mark Parnell, but that was the extent of his involvement.
http://pbas.sa.gov.au

Waewick

#2807 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
The $37m price tag was a whipped up during the election campaign by one of the Parliament House staffers with details provided by the Greens. IMO, I'd rather see that $37 go towards taking the tram over the Torrens and halfway to O'Connell Street.
The price tag came from the Parliamentary Budget Advisory Service, which provides independent costings for policies to all parties. The findings were requested by the Greens MLC Mark Parnell, but that was the extent of his involvement.
yeah, wouldn't be blaming Parnell, he actually seems like a reasonable candidate.

It will be interested how the right hand turn is proposed, I mean if they are going to do it, which they say they are, why wouldn't you just do it now?

[Shuz]

#2808 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 am

Since when does the Liberal Party take costings advice from the Greens!?

Stranger things...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2809 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:54 pm

When it makes labour look bad

rubberman

#2810 Post by rubberman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
I'm not sure that the proposition that a single curve and some overhead should cost as much as 100 houses passes the common sense test.

I'd be shocked if the amount of labour and materials putting a curve in would be anywhere near the cost of foundations, brickwork, roofing, wiring flooring and windows of even one house, let alone 100.

Someone is having a lend.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2811 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm

Cost will also include purchase of several new trams-reason for this price.

[Shuz]

#2812 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm

The purchase of trams has already been factored into the existing $80m cost for the two extensions.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2813 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm
The purchase of trams has already been factored into the existing $80m cost for the two extensions.
No-if the right hand turn goes ahead it will be part of an extension of routes/services as per the Libs Transport Plan.
The Glenelg tram service would alternate with one service going to North Adelaide and the next service via North Terrace to the East End.
A shuttle service (as per the original operation) would operate from South Terrace to West Terrace(nRAH stop).Glenelg line passengers that wanted to go to the Adelaide Railway Station,Morphett Street or nRAH stops would be able to transfer at either--Victoria Square,Pirie Street or Rundle Mall.
The service to and from the Entertainment Centre would operate via Port Road,North Terrace to the East End.
All these additional services would require an additional 5 trams.
There would be need for a City Depot(a site on Grote Street in part of Australia Posts unused car park is one location being talked about).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2814 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 pm

I don't think the Libs intend to run all the services outlined in their plan from the moment the right turn is installed, but rather as further extensions are completed.

AFAIK, the cost of $37m is so high is because the whole intersection will need to be ripped out, the area re-levelled and then the intersection re-installed with the additional turn.

rubberman

#2815 Post by rubberman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 pm
I don't think the Libs intend to run all the services outlined in their plan from the moment the right turn is installed, but rather as further extensions are completed.

AFAIK, the cost of $37m is so high is because the whole intersection will need to be ripped out, the area re-levelled and then the intersection re-installed with the additional turn.
I think that was the argument against a full grand union (apart from the usefulness of the turns). The turn from the East toward the North certainly involved a few deviations from level. However, the turn from South to East is already level. I cannot see where any ripping out of existing work is required just for the one curve South to East.

I'm more likely to believe that the Parliamentary budget office put the decimal point in the wrong place under the constraints of the short campaign period.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2816 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm

The final shelter at Gawler Place is finally going up. North Terrace is also currently being resurfaced on the East-bound lanes been Gawler Place and Frome Street.

On the stops, paving has been done on most of them and should be done by the weekend.

Signalling looks to be done, including the traffic lights. So tram testing could be starting this weekend or early next week.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#2817 Post by citywatcher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Will Marshall cut the ribbon

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

metro
Legendary Member!

#2818 Post by metro » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Pisoni might, and it will probs be a very low key thing.

I'm thinking this will be the last tram extension for a while, this new state govt has much more important projects to work on like an expansion to the National Wine Centre, and duplication of the Hindmarsh Island Bridge. :wink:

Nathan

#2819 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Won't be Pisoni. The transport and infrastructure, housing and urban development, city of Adelaide, and local government roles have just been given to Stephan Knoll, member for Schubert (in the Barossa).

Patrick_27

#2820 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 am

Good to see they're resurfacing the roadway, any idea on whether they will be cleaning up the mess they've made installing new cable poles and fixing those poles that are seriously bent?