News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3601 Post by citywatcher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Doubt you could fine someone if there is no line

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3602 Post by Goodsy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Shouldn't there be traffic controllers out directing traffic if it's unmarked?

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3603 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:04 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:28 pm
On the south-west side of the King William St/North Tce intersection, the lines that vehicles are meant to stop behind have been covered with a new layer of road. This creates a huge problem for the tram. If you look at the tram track that turns left into North Tce, it cuts the corner. That's why the stopping lines were staggered. Now the lines are covered, occasionally cars will stop beyond where they are supposed to stop.

I sat on the tram for two cycles at that intersection because cars were blocking the track. :wallbash: A bus could have easily driven around them. This is one reason why trams were ripped out in the 1950s.
Its Adelaide drivers, what do you expect :banana: :banana:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3604 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am
Sounds like a very temporary problem where the new asphalt has been laid but the lines have not yet been marked. It's probably resolved already. Not a big deal.
When I looked today asphalt had been planed away and there were no temporary lines. Judging where to stop was quite difficult.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3605 Post by Listy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:19 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Sounds like a very temporary problem where the new asphalt has been laid but the lines have not yet been marked. It's probably resolved already. Not a big deal.
When I looked today asphalt had been planed away and there were no temporary lines. Judging where to stop was quite difficult.
ARR 56(b&c) says that in the absence of a painted line you should stop before drawing level with the traffic lights. But if the intersection is staggered this could be very difficult to judge.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3606 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Tram line partial closure.
When: From Friday 5 October 2018 to Sunday 7 October 2018.

The Glenelg tram line will be partially closed for essential maintenance works from approximately 10pm Friday 5 October until last service Sunday 7 October 2018.
Substitute buses will replace trams between Moseley Square and South Terrace, timetables will be available shortly.

Tram services will remain in operation between South Terrace and the Entertainment Centre.

Trams will resume as scheduled from first service Monday 8 October.

Test trams may run intermittently during the closure but will not be available for passengers. Care should be taken when crossing the tramline.

Thank you for their patience while these important works are undertaken.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... al-closure
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3607 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Listy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:19 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
ARR 56(b&c) says that in the absence of a painted line you should stop before drawing level with the traffic lights. But if the intersection is staggered this could be very difficult to judge.
Without wishing to pile on to the volumes already written about this now farcical project, how is the road surface still not complete? Problems with the actual tram system/tracks itself are one thing, given lack of expertise or whatever, but this is a bog standard road surface and line marking exercise. How many months ago were the tracks laid?

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#3608 Post by baytram366 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Took my usual tram home last night and the tram in front of ours couldn't get around the intersection because of cars blocking the tracks. Our tram waited at Rundle Street tram stop for at least 10 minutes waiting for the tram in front to move. I didn't really mind though, gave me more time to read my book.
I did notice this morning though that someone has been busy with white spray-paint and temporary markings have been put back on the road thankfully so tonight's tram ride through that intersection should be pretty uneventful
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3609 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Here are the temporary stopping lines. The right lane needs to stop quite a way back from the intersection, so it's easy to see how the cars stopped over the tracks.

Last edited by 1NEEDS2POST on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claybro

#3610 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Temporarily marked? Please tell me they've got a team booked for tonight for permanent marking? What is the hold up? or are they still laying the road. WTF! Melbourne can get a whole intersection ripped up and relayed in a single weekend!

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3611 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:25 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:00 pm
Temporarily marked? Please tell me they've got a team booked for tonight for permanent marking? What is the hold up? or are they still laying the road. WTF! Melbourne can get a whole intersection ripped up and relayed in a single weekend!
You are correct: they have yet to lay the road. Further planing took place last night on the westbound approach to the junction and also at Bank St. Work is being carried out between 1am and 4.30am each night. The planer was parked yesterday in the work compound on Kintore Ave.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3612 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:28 pm

New Network Maps have started to be installed in the tram fleet in readiness for the opening of the new extensions.
Not long now.

PeFe

#3613 Post by PeFe » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Well this is confusing......
Labor’s AdeLINK tram plan still a ‘priority’ in Canberra despite SA Government efforts

THE Marshall Government may have killed off the plan, but the AdeLINK tram expansion remains listed as a “priority initiative’’ in Canberra.

Former premier Jay Weatherill’s AdeLINK program included new tram lines to North Adelaide and Norwood.

The latest official Priority List from Infrastructure Australia, which provides independent advice to the Federal Government, includes AdeLINK as a priority initiative for which a business case must be developed before it can proceed.

Former Labor treasurer Tom Koutsantonis said AdeLINK should go ahead because it would benefit all South Australians.

“Investing in trams not only creates jobs and breathes new life into our streets and suburbs – but encourages more South Australians to use public transport,’’ Mr Koutsantonis said.

The State Government will seek advice from its new public transport authority on congestion-busting travel options, which could include trams.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... c7e91809ac

rubberman

#3614 Post by rubberman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Not really. Nothing will happen unless the State Government prepares a business case and sends it to Infrastructure Australia.

The State Government is so disinterested, they couldn't raise the effort to cancel it. All they have to do is ignore it. After another three years, the original proposal will be out of date, and it will die quietly. Why waste even the price of a postage stamp if doing nothing produces the same outcome?

claybro

#3615 Post by claybro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:36 pm
Not really. Nothing will happen unless the State Government prepares a business case and sends it to Infrastructure Australia.

The State Government is so disinterested, they couldn't raise the effort to cancel it. All they have to do is ignore it. After another three years, the original proposal will be out of date, and it will die quietly. Why waste even the price of a postage stamp if doing nothing produces the same outcome?
[/quote

The federal government should threaten to withhold some funding from the state, unless it comes up with a proper public transport plan, that doesn't involve just adding a few extra busses here and there.