News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3781 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

SBD wrote:
how good is he wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am
Yes so I think we are discussing the next tram extension assuming/based on when Labour get in [one day].
Liberal did not rule out a north Adelaide extension
Still waiting on the infrastructure SA guys to rule it out for them.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3782 Post by how good is he » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Ha! Good comment. I think a few years ago the business case model didn't stack for a North Adelaide extension. I think it said the majority of residents are wealthy/own cars and don't/won't use public transport. Further there was limited reason for those that use PT to actually travel there. I think an AO stop/extension would work now and in the future an underground multi storey park n ride at 88 O'Connell and a re-development of the W&C Hospital would help.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3783 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm

how good is he wrote:Ha! Good comment. I think a few years ago the business case model didn't stack for a North Adelaide extension. I think it said the majority of residents are wealthy/own cars and don't/won't use public transport. Further there was limited reason for those that use PT to actually travel there. I think an AO stop/extension would work now and in the future an underground multi storey park n ride at 88 O'Connell and a re-development of the W&C Hospital would help.
I think that's a bit unfair on the residents of North Adelaide. 37% of residents are renters, so I think they would be very reliant on public transport to get them around. The average age of North Adelaide is also less than the state average, sitting at 37 from memory. The age ranges are very broad, there are many residents of all ages.

PeFe

#3784 Post by PeFe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:04 pm
Ha! Good comment. I think a few years ago the business case model didn't stack for a North Adelaide extension. I think it said the majority of residents are wealthy/own cars and don't/won't use public transport. Further there was limited reason for those that use PT to actually travel there. I think an AO stop/extension would work now and in the future an underground multi storey park n ride at 88 O'Connell and a re-development of the W&C Hospital would help.
North Adelaide residents tend to be on the elderly side.......hoping there is a changeover in the not-so-distant future where apartments as development is viewed as acceptable and (some) peoples attitude to public transport changes.

In fact if North Adelaidians want to keep "their village atmosphere" then they should oppose any large car parks and encourage public transport use.
Of course when (and if) the Le Cornu site is ever re-developped, maybe as a 5 star hotel, then North Adelaide as a "destination" will only grow stronger.
I have recommended to international visitors that they walk around North Adelaide because it is a "character" area. The fact that the only public transport is buses turns a few people off.....it really is much easier to convince people to use some sort of rail based transport.

A tram to North Adelaide might actually encourage "development" and turn the area into a tourist detination.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3785 Post by how good is he » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Norman, I'm only reporting on what was said/the outcome of the modelling and would love a tram to North Adelaide and beyond. I guess even on your numbers 37% is the minority. Also from March 18 In daily - Before the election, the Liberals released a transport policy, saying trams are “not viable, workable or needed beyond the Adelaide Parklands and North Adelaide, except for the existing Glenelg line”.

PeFe

#3786 Post by PeFe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm
I think that's a bit unfair on the residents of North Adelaide. 37% of residents are renters, so I think they would be very reliant on public transport to get them around. The average age of North Adelaide is also less than the state average, sitting at 37 from memory. The age ranges are very broad, there are many residents of all ages.
I am quite surprised the average age of North Adelaide residents is 37........I guess the 37 year olds are mainly renters because the city councillors from the North Adelaide tend to represent the older demographic (property and business owners)

Waewick

#3787 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm

We do need a bipartisan approach to PT.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#3788 Post by JAKJ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm
how good is he wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:04 pm
North Adelaide residents tend to be on the elderly side.......hoping there is a changeover in the not-so-distant future where apartments as development is viewed as acceptable and (some) peoples attitude to public transport changes.

In fact if North Adelaidians want to keep "their village atmosphere" then they should oppose any large car parks and encourage public transport use.
Of course when (and if) the Le Cornu site is ever re-developped, maybe as a 5 star hotel, then North Adelaide as a "destination" will only grow stronger.
I have recommended to international visitors that they walk around North Adelaide because it is a "character" area. The fact that the only public transport is buses turns a few people off.....it really is much easier to convince people to use some sort of rail based transport.

A tram to North Adelaide might actually encourage "development" and turn the area into a tourist detination.
I would be curious to understand the actual stats in North Adelaide's population background but there are plenty of young people. There are the residential colleges and high density "workers cottages" and townhouses scattered around which tend to be rented/ owned by young professionals (I'm not that old and I live there!).

The tram is sorely needed to better connect to the city and fill in a few of the shopfronts down O'Connell street. It isn't as bad as it used to be but there is still a lot of untapped potential there and some great spaces to be developed/ occupied.

**Edit** looks like I just missed the post showing the average age of 37, not surprising given the factors I have listed above.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3789 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Mpol03 wrote:Aren't the Liberal government against trams?
Are they even ‘for’ Public Transport at all? I remember how difficult it was to get their PT policy prior to the recent State Election! ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Waewick

#3790 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Trams at the festival stop for the cricket.

4 trams waiting for the tiny crowd.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3791 Post by ml69 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm
Norman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm
I am quite surprised the average age of North Adelaide residents is 37........I guess the 37 year olds are mainly renters because the city councillors from the North Adelaide tend to represent the older demographic (property and business owners)
You guys are forgetting that there are many uni students living in North Adelaide which brings the average age down.

If one was to generalise about North Adelaide, you'd say there were a lots of students renting there, plus lots of rich old people who own houses/apartments.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#3792 Post by RetroGamer87 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:59 pm

They better make tram extensions North and East because the two stubs they've build on King William Street and North Terrace are useful only as attachment points for longer lines. Besides the Tram could make North Adelaide feel less like a ghost town.

On the other hand I sincerely hope they don't replace the Outer Harbor train with a tram. That would be ludicrous. It would mean the hundreds of millions they spent upgrading Torrens Junction and Bowden Station would be wasted.

Also having tracked vehicles running along Commercial Road has already been tried in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It caused massive traffic problems leading to the construction of the viaduct. If they replace the OH train with a train and have it run along the surface of Commercial Road it will cause the same traffic problems. We should be eliminating grade crossings, not creating more of them.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#3793 Post by prometheus2704 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Have people really forgotten that there was a change of government and therefore a change of priorities? All these comments about how the recent extension only makes sense of it's continued seem to be forgetting this fact, believing instead that political ideology plays no part in decision making.

Talk about frustrating!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

rubberman

#3794 Post by rubberman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:42 pm

prometheus2704 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm
Have people really forgotten that there was a change of government and therefore a change of priorities? All these comments about how the recent extension only makes sense of it's continued seem to be forgetting this fact, believing instead that political ideology plays no part in decision making.

Talk about frustrating!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
In one sense I understand the frustration, because many of the things people here talk about simply will never ever have enough priority or economic value to become reality.

However, on the other hand, it's fun to dream a little, or a lot. As I was someone who used to dream about what the Adelaide tram system would have looked like had it expanded after 1950, rather than be scrapped, it would be very hypocritical of me to criticise others for imagining things that are no more or less impractical.

If you see some of these proposals as people's dreams which they discuss/argue with others, but which may or may not ever happen, it is a lot less frustrating.

The other point, which is substantial, is that if those who dream are challenged, and asked to provide hard evidence for their dreams, who knows? Maybe they will refine their proposals to eliminate objections, improve the advantages and thereby make the dreams realistic. Encouraging people to dream, but then making them come up with improvements and overcome objections sounds like a great role for this site.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#3795 Post by ginzahikari » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:57 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:59 pm
They better make tram extensions North and East because the two stubs they've build on King William Street and North Terrace are useful only as attachment points for longer lines. Besides the Tram could make North Adelaide feel less like a ghost town.

On the other hand I sincerely hope they don't replace the Outer Harbor train with a tram. That would be ludicrous. It would mean the hundreds of millions they spent upgrading Torrens Junction and Bowden Station would be wasted.

Also having tracked vehicles running along Commercial Road has already been tried in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It caused massive traffic problems leading to the construction of the viaduct. If they replace the OH train with a train and have it run along the surface of Commercial Road it will cause the same traffic problems. We should be eliminating grade crossings, not creating more of them.
Agreed, I wish that they could build the tram on Port Rd to Port Adelaide in some way that wouldn't affect the existing traffic flow too much.