News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3511 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they swing the track further out from the centre to allow for a wider platform, or change it to a side platform. The current platform is way too narrow to be compliant.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3512 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:40 am

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they swing the track further out from the centre to allow for a wider platform, or change it to a side platform. The current platform is way too narrow to be compliant.
Re side platforms, would that mean either removing car parking or reducing to 1 lane? Currently (from memory) it is still possible to drive along the track on this stretch. So side platforms will put a stop to this. also the platform itself would then take up some of the next lane-assuming they don't bring the tracks closer together after removal of the centre island stop. With car parking, this leaves only 1 lane for vehicles? How does it work on North terrace, as I haven't been over since it was complete.

Patrick_27

#3513 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm

The original plan (if I recall) was a single central platform (similar to Pirie Street, Rundle Mall and Adelaide Railway Station) and the removal of right-hand turns with a dedicated tram lane instead of a shared lane.

rubberman

#3514 Post by rubberman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:40 am
Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am
Re side platforms, would that mean either removing car parking or reducing to 1 lane? Currently (from memory) it is still possible to drive along the track on this stretch. So side platforms will put a stop to this. also the platform itself would then take up some of the next lane-assuming they don't bring the tracks closer together after removal of the centre island stop. With car parking, this leaves only 1 lane for vehicles? How does it work on North terrace, as I haven't been over since it was complete.
Side platforms enable buses to use the stops, so that if there's a need for a substitute bus service, passengers can still use the stop since buses just pull up in the same way as trams. If they use a centre island stop, then whenever there's a substitute bus, they have to create a temporary stop to which passengers have to move. And an extra stopping bus motorists have to deal with. Not a big issue, but why do it if the bog standard tram stop can do it? In this case, they could steal a metre off the footpath at each existing tram stop. That would make the stop a metre wider. These things don't have to be cathedrals - an extra metre would be oodles.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3515 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 pm

More problems for the new extensions. Yesterday a test tram with DPTI personnel on board struck a problem with the signalling at the North Terrace/King William Street intersection.
Transport Minister Stefan Knoll told channel 9 news tonight that he still could not give a starting date.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3516 Post by rev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 pm
More problems for the new extensions. Yesterday a test tram with DPTI personnel on board struck a problem with the signalling at the North Terrace/King William Street intersection.
Transport Minister Stefan Knoll told channel 9 news tonight that he still could not give a starting date.
This is getting beyond ridiculous now. Surely the circus that was hired to build it can be held accountable contractually?

claybro

#3517 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:08 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 am
adelaide transport wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 pm
This is getting beyond ridiculous now. Surely the circus that was hired to build it can be held accountable contractually?
York Civil? Too late, they saw the writing on the wall and got out of town.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#3518 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Didn’t they go into receivership?

claybro

#3519 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Yes. But curiously they were involved in both the current tram fiasco ,and the Swan River footbridge fiasco, both of which remain incomplete months after due opening, and with multi million dollar rectifications required. Margins are so tight on these projects now, that any time or cost over run is deadly. Not all due to their workmanship mind you, but more to do with poor management of the projects they were constructing. I bet though, the mud will stick with the contractors, rather than the government departments overseeing these projects and who's constant meddling are associated with the issues in the first place.

Ho Really

#3520 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Yes. But curiously they were involved in both the current tram fiasco ,and the Swan River footbridge fiasco, both of which remain incomplete months after due opening, and with multi million dollar rectifications required. Margins are so tight on these projects now, that any time or cost over run is deadly. Not all due to their workmanship mind you, but more to do with poor management of the projects they were constructing. I bet though, the mud will stick with the contractors, rather than the government departments overseeing these projects and who's constant meddling are associated with the issues in the first place.
Should come out of the wages and salaries of Koutsantonis, Mullighan, their mates and those of the department managing this project.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rubberman

#3521 Post by rubberman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 am

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Should come out of the wages and salaries of Koutsantonis, Mullighan, their mates and those of the department managing this project.

Cheers
Well, The politicians did lose government. The head of DPTI was axed. I imagine there were also further axings within DPTI at lower levels.

There's a couple of questionss though. Most of the problems of this stage came after February/March. So was it K+M and mates or Marshall and Lucas?

Next, I've been whining about problems such as Citadis, centre islands, expensive construction techniques here for some time. Nobody here seems terribly interested. Fair enough. However, if nobody on a site like this is interested, then the general public is going to be even less interested. I guarantee that if eyes glaze over in boredom here whenever I point out the need to make trams efficient and economical, I guarantee that people reading the Advertiser or just generally will go catatonic if you discuss trams. They'll ride them if they go in the right direction, but the general public doesn't give a toss.

The upshot is that DPTI hasn't got the expertise to expand the system, as is evident, the public isn't all that interested, there's been some blood letting of politicians and in DPTI, and we are still floundering around with unnecessary expenses, delays and useless right turns.

claybro

#3522 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am

rubberman wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 am
Next, I've been whining about problems such as Citadis, centre islands, expensive construction techniques here for some time. Nobody here seems terribly interested. Fair enough. However, if nobody on a site like this is interested, then the general public is going to be even less interested. I guarantee that if eyes glaze over in boredom here whenever I point out the need to make trams efficient and economical, I guarantee that people reading the Advertiser or just generally will go catatonic if you discuss trams. They'll ride them if they go in the right direction, but the general public doesn't give a toss.
Not quite so rubberman. Many, including myself have shared and engaged in your concern over the cost and inadequate implementation of these minor extensions. The first extension from Vic Sq to North terrace was relatively trouble free, was open with minimal fuss, and shut the naysayers down immediately. This last one has become almost comical and allowed all the usual suspects to dredge up the usual rubbish. Most seem to be of the opinion that the Citadis are a poor cheap option and tear up the tracks. Fair enough. Just that your answer to reduce costs and expediate progress is to engage a team of international experts and buy rolling stock from Czec. Whereas my opinion has been that we can start sourcing rolling stock and expertise from Melbourne, if we have an ongoing volume of work. Just because my opinion differs to yours doesn't mean the concern for the problem is any less.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3523 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am

Dear Stakeholder

We write to advise you of developments with the City Tram Extension Project.

Test trams identified a minor signal issue. To ensure all issues are addressed ahead of passenger services, testing will continue.

Works scheduled over the weekend include:

Minor concreting works along North Terrace, 8pm – 6am Friday and Sunday.
Paving works on King William Street adjacent Bank of China, 8pm – 6am Sunday.

Some speed and lane restrictions will apply in the vicinity of the works. Lanes adjacent tram stops will be closed while works are undertaken, with one lane maintained in each direction. Access to businesses and properties will be maintained.

Thank you for your continued patience and ongoing interest in the City Tram Extension Project.

A further update will be provided next week.
😩

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3524 Post by citywatcher » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm

It's the same update every week

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

EBG

#3525 Post by EBG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Looking for answers, there seemed to be some problem at the north east corner of King William Rd with at least 6 men all gathered around some manhole in the middle of the south track just before the traffic lights at North Tce. Picture 12.30 pm 7/9/18.
Attachments
20180907_NE CORNER.jpg
20180907_NE CORNER.jpg (276.16 KiB) Viewed 2520 times