News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3616 Post by rubberman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm
rubberman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:36 pm
Not really. Nothing will happen unless the State Government prepares a business case and sends it to Infrastructure Australia.

The State Government is so disinterested, they couldn't raise the effort to cancel it. All they have to do is ignore it. After another three years, the original proposal will be out of date, and it will die quietly. Why waste even the price of a postage stamp if doing nothing produces the same outcome?
[/quote

The federal government should threaten to withhold some funding from the state, unless it comes up with a proper public transport plan, that doesn't involve just adding a few extra busses here and there.
The Federal Government? You mean the one that lost us our auto industry? That destroyed the NBN? And the Murray Darling Basin Plan? That can't develop an energy policy? That has sent Australia Post into a death spiral?

The absolute last thing this country needs is the Federal Government anywhere near transport policy?

claybro

#3617 Post by claybro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm
claybro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm
rubberman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:36 pm
Not really. Nothing will happen unless the State Government prepares a business case and sends it to Infrastructure Australia.

The State Government is so disinterested, they couldn't raise the effort to cancel it. All they have to do is ignore it. After another three years, the original proposal will be out of date, and it will die quietly. Why waste even the price of a postage stamp if doing nothing produces the same outcome?
[/quote

The federal government should threaten to withhold some funding from the state, unless it comes up with a proper public transport plan, that doesn't involve just adding a few extra busses here and there.
The Federal Government? You mean the one that lost us our auto industry? That destroyed the NBN? And the Murray Darling Basin Plan? That can't develop an energy policy? That has sent Australia Post into a death spiral?

The absolute last thing this country needs is the Federal Government anywhere near transport policy?
Except the federal government are currently throwing money at urban rail projects like there is no tomorrow. Everywhere that is except SA, because the current, and previous state governments had no long term comprehensive plan, except for Adelink (which was more of a wish list than a plan). so yes. The Federal governments involvement is both welcome, and critical.

Waewick

#3618 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:13 pm

The other problem is, its an election year next year and the State Government is focused on that Globelink plan.

My bet, the funds will be redistributed to that.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3619 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:53 pm

claybro wrote:
rubberman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Except the federal government are currently throwing money at urban rail projects like there is no tomorrow. Everywhere that is except SA, because the current, and previous state governments had no long term comprehensive plan, except for Adelink (which was more of a wish list than a plan). so yes. The Federal governments involvement is both welcome, and critical.
There are a few they could have (and have) helped with...

Electrification (have contributed)
Port Dock Spur
Flinders Link (have contributed)
Aldinga Extension
Concordia Extension
Roseworthy Extension
AdeLINK
Station upgrades
Grade separation (Contributed to Oaklands)

Now, you might say that some of these may just be lines on the ITLUP plan with no business case... But funnily enough, MetroNet in Perth had no business case either, and they still got $1.4b (or something near that anyway).

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3620 Post by ml69 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 pm

Why not start preparing the business case for an Adelaide CBD rail tunnel?

This should not be as pie-in-the-sky as people think. Would perfectly complement an electrified Gawler line which could seamlessly connect to the Seaford line and revamped Tonsley line.

Would reduce end-to-end travel times between 5-20 mins depending on your origin and CBD destination. A real game-changer for rail travel in Adelaide.

This would be Adelaide's equivalent of Melbourne's Metro Tunnel and Brisbane's Cross River Rail.

A nominal 50% federal government contribution to the project would go a long, long way to making it happen (sorry for taking the thread off tangent).

rubberman

#3621 Post by rubberman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 am

ml69 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 pm
Why not start preparing the business case for an Adelaide CBD rail tunnel?

This should not be as pie-in-the-sky as people think. Would perfectly complement an electrified Gawler line which could seamlessly connect to the Seaford line and revamped Tonsley line.

Would reduce end-to-end travel times between 5-20 mins depending on your origin and CBD destination. A real game-changer for rail travel in Adelaide.

This would be Adelaide's equivalent of Melbourne's Metro Tunnel and Brisbane's Cross River Rail.

A nominal 50% federal government contribution to the project would go a long, long way to making it happen (sorry for taking the thread off tangent).
Why would the Liberals do something they never promised, and have shown absolutely no interest in over the past sixteen years?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that expecting a party out of office for a long time will have a wish list of things it will want to do first. Maybe after that, it will look at other things.

Like was said a little earlier, the Liberals have this Tailem Bend airport, and freight highway from there to the city they want to spend the money on. People voted for them, they can claim a mandate for that before a CBD rail tunnel. Now personally, I think the idea of flying into Tailem Bend, transfer to trucks, then driving to Adelaide is insane, and industry here has shown very little enthusiasm. However, it was a major election promise, whereas a CBD loop was not.

I just don't think the Liberals are interested, so planning for something the government has no interest in won't happen.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3622 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am

The Liberals said during the election that they will ask Infrastructure SA (which is now established) to look into a CBD connection and prepare a business case for it.

rubberman

#3623 Post by rubberman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 am

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am
The Liberals said during the election that they will ask Infrastructure SA (which is now established) to look into a CBD connection and prepare a business case for it.
Like they said they'd do for the North Adelaide tram? Like that?

I think that covers it, yes.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3624 Post by citywatcher » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 pm

The papers were stolen from Vicki Chapman's car
Nothing to see here

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3625 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm

rubberman wrote:
Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am
Like they said they'd do for the North Adelaide tram? Like that?

I think that covers it, yes.
Yeah... There is no reason to doubt them at this stage.

Llessur2002

#3626 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Other than the fact the the Libs recently announced that they would not build a line to North Adelaide, long before Infrastructure SA has been established.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3627 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Norman wrote:
Other than the fact the the Libs recently announced that they would not build a line to North Adelaide, long before Infrastructure SA has been established.
I don't remember them ruling it out, but waiting for another business case.

Llessur2002

#3628 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Norman wrote:
I didn't see the article myself but I was going on this comment from a few weeks ago:
adelaide transport wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am
In today's Sunday Mail a report on tenders for 400 new buses to replace ageing buses Transport Minister Stefan Knoll stated that plans for trams to North Adelaide had been scrapped.

SBD

#3629 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
I didn't see the article myself but I was going on this comment from a few weeks ago:
adelaide transport wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am
In today's Sunday Mail a report on tenders for 400 new buses to replace ageing buses Transport Minister Stefan Knoll stated that plans for trams to North Adelaide had been scrapped.
That comment is a throw-away comment at the end of the article, linking back to https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 9b5f22a975 which seems to be ruling out the Labor ADELink, but not necessarily trams anywhere of any kind.
“Ultimately, the question we want SAPTA to answer is, how do we deliver the best, most efficient, reliable and cost-effective public transport system for South Australians?,” Mr Knoll told the Sunday Mail.

“That’s why we’re scrapping the AdelLink plan from the Infrastructure Australia list. Labor locked themselves into building an expensive tram network around metropolitan Adelaide and didn’t ask what is the best way to deliver public transport services?

“Labor had the blinkers on – they had a fixation on trams and closed themselves to other, possibly better, options.

“Now, trams may be one option as part of the broad plan but we don’t know that. There are a host of new technologies and we need to investigate them."

Llessur2002

#3630 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am

I'm with ya, makes sense now :)