News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#31 Post by AtD » Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 pm

From http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11329813-0-asc-s30.htm

Watch the left in background behind the reporter near the end of this story:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/vie ... &ch=248154

And a few from http://tdu.to/msg/msg50758.html - I think it's lost!

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by shuza » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Now if only that was the real Adelaide city scene!

Melbournians are blind to their own surroundings which is a bit sad really.

Delsar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide's trams, 1952

#33 Post by Delsar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:11 am

I cant Believe that some people still would want the trams they were a traffic nightmare.

My grandfarther driving his truck around adelaide during those times would purposely not use roads like unley road. the tram would conjest traffic then, just think what that road would be like now!!

BTW it was the liberal government (i think) that got rid of them, so as usual you can blame them if you think they are such a good idea!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by AtD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:06 am

But each tram can take up to 100 cars off the road, or two buses. At least trams don't blindly change lanes! :D

Will409
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by Will409 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:48 pm

Hope no one minds if I dig up this thread for a second. Since Railpage's gallery has gone down the toilet (and looks like it will not be back 'till 2058 at the best), I have found another map of the former tram system in Adelaide on Wikipedia using an original map as a guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Adel ... _1950s.png

Here are a few facts and figures of the former Adelaide system if anyone is interested. All figures are c. 1952, the same year the original map for the diagram above was made.

System length: 133.3km
Tram fleet: 311 trams
Oldest tram: A class 1, 1909
Newest tram: H1 class 381, 1952 (only one built and first new tram since the H class in 1929)

While the figures for the closure of the Adelaide system were sad enough, compared to Syndey which eliminated the trams by 1961, they were nothing! At it's peak, Syndey had 264kms of track and 1500 trams. Brisbane's system actually had a better chance of surviving then Adelaide in fact. The system closed in 1969 but the system was actually better then Melbourne's at the time. Most of the trams were no more then 20 years old (about half the average life for a tram) while most in Melbourne were nudging 40 or more. The track was also in excellent shape and hadn't suffered as badly from the Second World War as most other cities.

I suppose that is enough of my ramblings about the former Australian tram systems!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by Cruise » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:20 am

AtD wrote:But each tram can take up to 100 cars off the road, or two buses. At least trams don't blindly change lanes! :D
But buses dont require dog ugly wires hanging across roads..........................

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by bmw boy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:46 am

Cruise Control wrote:
AtD wrote:But each tram can take up to 100 cars off the road, or two buses. At least trams don't blindly change lanes! :D
But buses dont require dog ugly wires hanging across roads..........................
the trams themselves look better than buses (especially custom coahes 1's lol)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Cruise » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 pm

bmw boy wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:
the trams themselves look better than buses (especially custom coahes 1's lol)
i was waiting for that lol

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Article: City Tram Track To Grow

#39 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:37 am

Source: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
NICK HENDERSON STATE POLITICAL REPORTER
January 07, 2008 10:30pm
PREMIER Mike Rann is vowing to keep extending Adelaide's tram system through the city and beyond, saying he is not prepared to preside over Adelaide's "gentle decline".

In a direct rebuff to opponents of the controversial extension, Mr Rann declared he would not be deterred by people who did not want change in Adelaide.

He said he planned for a city loop to initially be constructed in stages and further extensions would follow.

"What I would really like to see is that as our finances grow stronger I would like to see a city loop for the tram and I would like to see us continue with it but that has to go through the Budget processes," he said.

"I think we have to keep going and not be deflected from those who want Adelaide to be as it once was. I said at the start I was not prepared to preside over gentle decline."

The State Government was initially criticised for extending the tramline from Victoria Square to City West, completed last year, but the project has since received widespread support.

Asked whether he planned to build a section of the tramline each year Mr Rann said; "I want to see continuous improvement".

"I want to see bit by bit the tram extended but I need to go up for Budget bids and go through the normal processes," he said. "I want to make sure that I leave this state when I retire from politics in better shape than we found it."

He said his prediction that the tram extension would be hugely popular proved correct.

Mr Rann also defended the Government's handling of the much maligned public transport system saying more than $100 million was being spent on re-sleepering trains. He also said many major road infrastructure projects would be completed in 2008.

Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith said he believed there were more important public transport projects requiring funding than the tram.

"My advice to the Premier would be to concentrate on the bus network and railway system which serve the majority of South Australians," he said.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Article: City Tram Track To Grow

#40 Post by Howie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

That i'd love to see, hopefully there'll be an announcement in 2008 to complete a loop back to vic square.. and if they go east to rundle street, i'd use it everyday to get to central markets for lunch :D Go rann!

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by thechap » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:36 am

Howie wrote:That i'd love to see, hopefully there'll be an announcement in 2008 to complete a loop back to vic square.. and if they go east to rundle street, i'd use it everyday to get to central markets for lunch :D Go rann!
Call me argumentative, but I actually think extending the line east up north terrace would be much more beneficial than looping it back to vic square. Or just go straight out to North Adelaide and up O'connell. I think those extensions would service more popular and useful places such as Adel Uni and Adel Oval rather than going up west terrace?
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by stelaras » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:42 am

Ide love to see the tram loop around the city in the first instance...Then see it gradually gow to Norwood, North Adelaide and the Port..

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by omada » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:59 am

Although he is the king of spin, go Mike! Just the sort of positive spin we want in this state.. bring on the trams !

Will409
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Will409 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 am

I am all for the trams (and if this does happen, you could very well see the return of my weekly photospam series 8) ) but if any budget announcements are made with tram extensions, I would like to see a HUGE slice given to heavy rail as well because as we all know, it is desperatly needed. Trams have proven popular in Adelaide which I am greatful to say and extending them further will increase the appeal but rail needs a very fair share too.

One issue that hasn't been mentioned is the need for a new depot. Glengowrie as it stands already is at bursting point with trams. While extending it over the carpark adjacent to it will help, that may not be enough of the system is extended further out of the CBD and a new depot must be built somewhere. Rebuilding the old link to Adelaide Oval might by an idea too 8)
Last edited by Will409 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by Edgar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:22 am

Yes, I agree with Steleras, I would like to see the trams looping the city, first before expanding to North Adelaide.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.