News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4141 Post by rubberman » Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 pm

I take it that after last Saturday, we won't be thinking about planning of further tram extensions for a few years, and probably for a decade till anything is constructed.

Llessur2002

#4142 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

rubberman wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 pm
I take it that after last Saturday, we won't be thinking about planning of further tram extensions for a few years, and probably for a decade till anything is constructed.
I'm not completely writing off a North Adelaide extension or, less likely, part of the city loop. Especially if the Commonwealth Games does come to town.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4143 Post by rev » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm
rubberman wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 pm
I'm not completely writing off a North Adelaide extension or, less likely, part of the city loop. Especially if the Commonwealth Games does come to town.
If they got rid of Rob Lucas I think there'd be a good chance of another extension being announced at least in the lead up to the next state election. I think Knoll is young enough, and perhaps progressive enough for a Liberal party minister, and Marshall flexible enough to actually do it especially if there's a contribution from the feds.

Waewick

#4144 Post by Waewick » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Have we heard boo from infrastructure SA? Aren't they looking at all of this?

I wonder how much is tied up in the potential commonwealth games bid, we will get Feds cash for that.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4145 Post by rev » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Waewick wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I wonder how much is tied up in the potential commonwealth games bid, we will get Feds cash for that.
Apparently they are working on a 20 year strategy to be released early 2020

Waewick

#4146 Post by Waewick » Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 pm

rev wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Apparently they are working on a 20 year strategy to be released early 2020
Oh great, another one.

Can't wait for that! Hopefully it is very detailed.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4147 Post by Norman » Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 pm

Waewick wrote:

They have a website here: https://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/

Waewick

#4148 Post by Waewick » Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Norman wrote:
Waewick wrote:

This reminds me of an episode of Utopia.

I see globelink is still there, says the report due mid 2019. Wonder if that will come out before Christmas.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4149 Post by Furyan » Mon May 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Waewick wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm
Norman wrote:
Waewick wrote:

I see globelink is still there, says the report due mid 2019. Wonder if that will come out before Christmas.
Perhaps we need a ( News & Discussion: Infrastructure SA ) thread

Waewick

#4150 Post by Waewick » Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Furyan wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm
Norman wrote: They have a website here: https://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/

Perhaps we need a ( News & Discussion: Infrastructure SA ) thread
I fear it will be fairly empty.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4151 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:54 pm

Recently I used the South Road tram stop, parking there to tram into town (I refuse to drive into or park in town, usually I use the train but that day I didn't), and it got me thinking.

Unlike other tram stops, South Road stop is severly lacking in the parking department, especially for a stop so easily accessible from a major road. There's a good amount of free space beneath and beside the South Road tram overpass. If we put 90 parking on Glengyle Terrace and Aroha/Norman Terrace facing the open-air recreation space beneath the overpass (the carparks would be beside the overpass not directly under it), it would help fill this hole. A more bold proposal would be to use some of the free space beneath the overpass for parking too.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#4152 Post by Westside » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:54 pm
Recently I used the South Road tram stop, parking there to tram into town (I refuse to drive into or park in town, usually I use the train but that day I didn't), and it got me thinking.

Unlike other tram stops, South Road stop is severly lacking in the parking department, especially for a stop so easily accessible from a major road. There's a good amount of free space beneath and beside the South Road tram overpass. If we put 90 parking on Glengyle Terrace and Aroha/Norman Terrace facing the open-air recreation space beneath the overpass (the carparks would be beside the overpass not directly under it), it would help fill this hole. A more bold proposal would be to use some of the free space beneath the overpass for parking too.
We shouldn't be encouraging what are essentially park'n'rides on the tram line. That's what the train is for, and the PnRs should be a last resort over public transport connections to your home. There are already multiple options to park and ride on stations along the Seaford/Tonsley line close to South Rd, but further out of the city, but many could do with some staton upgrades to make them more attractive and further contribute to reducing the congestion on South Rd

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4153 Post by Spotto » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Been sitting on this thought experiment for a long while now, the Glanville carpark closure and Port Dock delay has pushed me forward. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regardless of whether the Port Dock spur goes ahead or not, I think an interesting way to help revitalise local business and foot traffic in both Semaphore and the Port would connecting the Port to the beach with a tram. With some adjustments to the angled parking on Semapore Road between Military Road and Glanville, it's still wide enough from its rail days to accompdate a tram line down the centre. Unlike Labor's proposed PortLINK, the trains are retained for longer distance travel into the CBD, while the tram serves local connectivity with accessible modal shifts at Glanville and Baker Street/Port Dock; also possible for a Commercial Road branch that interfaces with Port Adelaide station.

Its isolation from the existing network means that we could tender it under a BOOT scheme similar to Canberra Metro or G:link where a consortium builds it then owns and operates it for 15-20 years as part of the construction tender. Could also be used as an opportunity to experiment with some sections running APS power supply free from the constraints of the existing network and its stock.

I envisioned the depot on existing DPTI land at the eastern side of Glanville station where the Birkenhead loop used to be, but that's just now been sold off... :wallbash:
Attachments
Port Tram map 2 (incl Dock train) - Copy.png
Port Tram vision - Copy.png

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4154 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:32 pm
Been sitting on this thought experiment for a long while now, the Glanville carpark closure and Port Dock delay has pushed me forward. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regardless of whether the Port Dock spur goes ahead or not, I think an interesting way to help revitalise local business and foot traffic in both Semaphore and the Port would connecting the Port to the beach with a tram. With some adjustments to the angled parking on Semapore Road between Military Road and Glanville, it's still wide enough from its rail days to accompdate a tram line down the centre. Unlike Labor's proposed PortLINK, the trains are retained for longer distance travel into the CBD, while the tram serves local connectivity with accessible modal shifts at Glanville and Baker Street/Port Dock; also possible for a Commercial Road branch that interfaces with Port Adelaide station.

Its isolation from the existing network means that we could tender it under a BOOT scheme similar to Canberra Metro or G:link where a consortium builds it then owns and operates it for 15-20 years as part of the construction tender. Could also be used as an opportunity to experiment with some sections running APS power supply free from the constraints of the existing network and its stock.

I envisioned the depot on existing DPTI land at the eastern side of Glanville station where the Birkenhead loop used to be, but that's just now been sold off... :wallbash:
I'd also much rather an isolated/separate tramway in the Port/western suburbs than light rail replacing heavy rail from the city. It's something that should be provisioned for, but not given priority any time soon. Patronage currently would likely been a few thousand at most, so I think it'd be great in the interim to see a specially-branded bus shuttle (PortLOOP or some such, like Tindo in the city) operate this route at high frequency.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#4155 Post by Westside » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:44 pm

An even easier implementation would be to bring back a regular 333 and divert the current 157 to create a go-zone between Semaphore Rd / Military Rd and Dock One. The routes would traverse the suggestion above then turn either left/right to continue to West Lakes or Osborne.