News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3706 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

Joelmark wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am
Thanks Norman again - can anyone please confirm that the southern side of North Terrace has now been more or less fixed to its pre-works self - as in the slate pavements fixed and any damaged trees replaced - it's hard to look that close in Norman's film. Adelaide (like many other places) has a bad habit of filling in pavement works with simple bitumen and then not returning them to their original form.
The pavement through Prince Albert Gardens (in front of Government House) hasn't been repaired either - the broken stone pavers simply replaced with concrete.

I'm pleased we gained another leg for our tram network, but I have to say for the most expensive stage so far the quality of finishings is far poorer than earlier works. I'd think twice before using these contractors again (obviously York are already gone, but the others clearly don't have high standards).
Keep Adelaide Weird

normh
High Rise Poster!

#3707 Post by normh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:27 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 pm
Here are some videos for those who haven't been on the extension yet:

Adelaide Railway Station to Botanic Garden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKx0mUd8PkE

Botanic Garden to Adelaide Railway Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQUnm7iKdfI
Looking at your video Botanic to Adelaide Railway Station if you look at the 1:20 mark and see the car blocking the line as they have entered a blocked intersection. Does this mean this line will suffer the same issues as the North Terrace/West Terrace intersection where cars queue through the intersection and block the lines????? Because I can see it happening at the DJ carpark exit as well especially during peak hour.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#3708 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 am

I think trams seem to be stuck around past the University.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3709 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am
The pavement through Prince Albert Gardens (in front of Government House) hasn't been repaired either - the broken stone pavers simply replaced with concrete.
In fairness many, if not all, of these were broken before the tram extension started.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3710 Post by Eurostar » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Should scramble crossings be at North Terrace/Kintore Avenue and North Terrace/Pulteney Street?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3711 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm
Should scramble crossings be at North Terrace/Kintore Avenue and North Terrace/Pulteney Street?
Definitely. The city needs more in general (Rundle/Frome etc).
Keep Adelaide Weird

EBG

#3712 Post by EBG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Still night work going on tonight 9.00 pm
(1) digging up roadway northbound lane closest to festival centre stop.
(2) east bound lane nearest Gawler place stop closed for work on shelter glass windows.
(3) west bound and eastbound lanes nearest foot paths closed in each direction at old RAH stop.

The never ending story.

Patrick_27

#3713 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 am

The biggest mess is the station names, I know it has been mentioned here before but aside from Botanic Gardens (or should I say, Botanic Garden). Festival Plaza? The stop is at-least 50m away from where the Festival Plaza will be. Festival Centre or Elder Park would have made more sense. University? Pulteney Street rather. Art Gallery? Gawler Place. The last government seemed so hellhound on branding everything for tourism purposes that they seem to have forgotten simple logic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3714 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 am
The biggest mess is the station names, I know it has been mentioned here before but aside from Botanic Gardens (or should I say, Botanic Garden). Festival Plaza? The stop is at-least 50m away from where the Festival Plaza will be. Festival Centre or Elder Park would have made more sense. University? Pulteney Street rather. Art Gallery? Gawler Place. The last government seemed so hellhound on branding everything for tourism purposes that they seem to have forgotten simple logic.
I agree.

"Art Gallery" should of remained "Museum" for starters.

Llessur2002

#3715 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am

I agree re the Art Gallery stop which really should be the Museum or Library stop but the University stop is smack bang outside of the main entrance to the University (which is set to be further defined through the University masterplan) and I suspect that students will make up a large percentage of patrons on this line. I think it is pretty aptly named - Pulteney Street is hardly a destination in its own right.

Waewick

#3716 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am
I agree re the Art Gallery stop which really should be the Museum or Library stop but the University stop is smack bang outside of the main entrance to the University (which is set to be further defined through the University masterplan) and I suspect that students will make up a large percentage of patrons on this line. I think it is pretty aptly named - Pulteney Street is hardly a destination in its own right.
Personally naming it after the tourist attraction rather than the university makes sense for me.

if the University students are the predominated users like you suspect, then they are going to know pretty quickly Art Gallery = University.

However if you are a tourist hoping onto the tram, at least you know Art Gallery = Art Gallery rather than University = Art Gallery.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#3717 Post by Westside » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 am
I agree.

"Art Gallery" should of remained "Museum" for starters.
I agree too.

Although "should of" should have been renamed before posting. ;)

Patrick_27

#3718 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Yes, University is smack bang outside the main entrance to Uni Adelaide. But City West is smack bang outside the largest UniSA campus in Adelaide and there's no special naming for that...

SBD

#3719 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm
Yes, University is smack bang outside the main entrance to Uni Adelaide. But City West is smack bang outside the largest UniSA campus in Adelaide and there's no special naming for that...
Isn't that campus the City West Campus of the University of South Australia?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3720 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:44 am

Dear Stakeholder

As you are aware passenger services on the City Tram extension commenced on Saturday 13 October. The Department would like to thank you for your patience throughout the project.

Upcoming works

There are some minor reinstatement works underway, but these do not require any restrictions.

No works are scheduled during the Fashion Festival or the remainder of this weekend.

Pavement and Reinstatement works will occur on the south-east corner of the Union in early November with no impact on tram services. Further information will be provided in the coming weeks.

For more information on the City Tram Extension Project please visit www.citytramextension.sa.gov.au, call the enquiry line on 1300 030 919 or email [email protected] .

Please visit www.citytramextension.sa.gov.au to view a video explaining how the new services will be integrated into the existing network. The video will also be posted to social media and the Adelaide Metro website. The new services provide access to the Festival Plaza Precinct, Rundle Mall and the East End shopping, restaurant and tourism precinct, while further invigorating the city’s cultural and education boulevard.

For timetable and route information please visit https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... -operating

Regards

City Tram Extension Project