News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1621 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm

Answering your question, yes.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1622 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am

timtam20292 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm
Adelaidean wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 pm
timtam20292 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Nope, not unless you transfer at Railway Station Stop.
The animation linked the PDF shows the full 4-way intersection at KWS/NorthT, but I don't know if that's outdated.
Well according to the map in the brochure that Nathan posted, that is not the case now. The animation is possibly outdated.
The animation is outdated - it shows the Festival Plaza stop in front of the Festival Plaza, whereas the recent announcement and the diagram in the brochure both show it further down hill near Elder Park, but without protected pedestrian access to it from either side.

It seems short-sighted to me to not build the right-turn tracks on the two corners of the junction that have left-turn tracks only. If there's a perceived need for trams to travel from the north to the east and the east to the south, why aren't there matching potential needs to travel from the south to the east and the east to the north - especially if the next stage is EastLINK to Norwood?

[Shuz]

#1623 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:59 am

One thing has me stumped - where's the pedestrian access to the Festival Theatre stop?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1624 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

Uncle Monty wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm
So if the diagram is accurate we won't have a full monty at the KWS and North Tce intersection? Looks as though three corners covered only? Great info though
Why would the government not just complete it now. Sure initially they may not have plans for trams in those directions but within the next 5 - 10 years surely and the cost wouldn't be that much more compared to digging it all up and the inconvenience to re do it when the time tomes. Poor foresight.

SBD

#1625 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am
Uncle Monty wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 pm
So if the diagram is accurate we won't have a full monty at the KWS and North Tce intersection? Looks as though three corners covered only? Great info though
Why would the government not just complete it now. Sure initially they may not have plans for trams in those directions but within the next 5 - 10 years surely and the cost wouldn't be that much more compared to digging it all up and the inconvenience to re do it when the time tomes. Poor foresight.
The relevant Wikipedia article claims that grand union junctions are expensive to build and maintain due to custom parts. Perhaps this is a justification to keep it simple, but I would see the counter being the cost of reworking to install an additional right turn track being disproportionate to the cost of installing them initially.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#1626 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 am

I can't understand what these curved lines around the corners mean. Anyone know?

Llessur2002

#1627 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am

SuperEgz wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 am
I can't understand what these curved lines around the corners mean. Anyone know?

The tracks?

Each black line represents two rails. The two black lines in the bottom left hand quadrant represent the two existing lines which curve round from KWS to NT whereas the single black lines in the other quadrants indicate only one of the two north-south or east-west lines will be able to make that turn.

For example, according to this layout, trams will be able to run from the new Festival Plaza stop to the East End but they won't be able to run from the East end to Festival Plaza.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#1628 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am
SuperEgz wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 am

The tracks?

The lines represent both tracks - i.e. each black line represents two rails. The two black lines in the bottom left hand quadrant represent the two existing lines which curve round from KWS to NT.

For example, according to this layout, trams will be able to run from the new Festival Plaza stop to the East End but they won't be able to run from the East end to Festival Plaza.
Oh I get it now. My brain was seeing each line as an individual rail.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1629 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am

RoseParkKid wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 pm
Workers showed up tonight and began digging up North Terrace between East Tce and Frome.
I also noticed that the words 'old rail' had been painted in the middle of the road near the Freemasons building. Could this mean there are still original tram rails buried there?
As mentioned above, yep that would be the buried original rails.

When I was in Sydney last year, I walked past their 'light rail' extension works near Town Hall station, where the bitumen had been dug up revealing the original tracks. We might be lucky enough to be seeing similar in the coming months.

rubberman

#1630 Post by rubberman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am
RoseParkKid wrote:
Workers showed up tonight and began digging up North Terrace between East Tce and Frome.
I also noticed that the words 'old rail' had been painted in the middle of the road near the Freemasons building. Could this mean there are still original tram rails buried there?

When I was in Sydney last year, I walked past their 'light rail' extension works near Town Hall station, where the bitumen had been dug up revealing the original tracks. We might be lucky enough to be seeing similar in the coming months.
This happened near the Adelaide Railway station and Southwark. Sleepers only were recovered. While it would be interesting to see some rail unearthed, the contractors who pulled up our tracks were pretty thorough, and steel was in short supply back then. The recently uncovered rail in Sydney was left because they were encased in concrete.

Still, I hope I'm wrong. 8)

RoseParkKid
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1631 Post by RoseParkKid » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:48 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am
RoseParkKid wrote:

This happened near the Adelaide Railway station and Southwark. Sleepers only were recovered. While it would be interesting to see some rail unearthed, the contractors who pulled up our tracks were pretty thorough, and steel was in short supply back then. The recently uncovered rail in Sydney was left because they were encased in concrete.

Still, I hope I'm wrong. 8)
I had a closer look today, it says 'old rail sleepers'

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1632 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm
In all fairness, if geotech investigation work had been undertaken overnight then it's quite likely that it wouldn't be very obvious today - just the tops of boreholes, possibly under covers. You'd have to know where to look for them.

Not saying that anything actually happened, but it might have done.
Managed to spot them today as I was going past on the bus :)

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#1633 Post by Haso » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 am

The best warning sign in Adelaide...

Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#1634 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:30 am

Do we have any idea what kind of timetable will be used with the new extension? will every second tram go east instead of west? How often will they go up to the Festival Center?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1635 Post by Tonsley213 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:24 pm

SuperEgz wrote:Do we have any idea what kind of timetable will be used with the new extension? will every second tram go east instead of west? How often will they go up to the Festival Center?
Well I don't think that every second tram traveling east would be possible if the intersection as shown in the PDF linked earlier on in the tread is installed. Right turns from King William street won't be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk