News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3226 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 am

Cleaned up the thread. Please keep it civil, guys.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3227 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:22 am

Norman wrote:Cleaned up the thread. Please keep it civil, guys.
School holidays always brings out the best in internet forums.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3228 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am

As opposed to those that prob never went to school

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Waewick

#3229 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am

Image🤣Image

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3230 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:52 am

Amen

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#3231 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 am

Waewick wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:04 am
The right hand turn was justified by the city loop lite proposition from memory.

Given they've ditched that, whats the point of a right turn anyway? Pretty much a cluster f**k of a situation.
Not that I expect them to build it but I haven't heard anything from the Libs suggesting they've officially dropped the city loop idea, or am I missing something?

Last thing I heard was that Labor's proposed metropolitan lines were off the table (whilst simultaneously also nothing was apparently off the table), with the North Adelaide line still not ruled out.

Waewick

#3232 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:04 am
The right hand turn was justified by the city loop lite proposition from memory.

Given they've ditched that, whats the point of a right turn anyway? Pretty much a cluster f**k of a situation.
Not that I expect them to build it but I haven't heard anything from the Libs suggesting they've officially dropped the city loop idea, or am I missing something?

Last thing I heard was that Labor's proposed metropolitan lines were off the table (whilst simultaneously also nothing was apparently off the table), with the North Adelaide line still not ruled out.
Good point, i assumed the way the mentioned it in the PT review articles it was all tram work.

But it appears we have to wait for Infrastructure SA and the PT review to be done before anything even gets considered?

If that is true I dare say any tram extension of any kind will be in Labors next term.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#3233 Post by Haso » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Today InDaily (18/7/2018)

North Adelaide tram comes before Le Cornu redevelopment: councillors

Adelaide City councillors are divided on whether there should be a tramline to North Adelaide but agree that, if one is to be built, the State Government should get it done before work starts on the old Le Cornu site.
A rendering of the North Adelaide tram extension proposed by the former Labor Government. The new Liberal Government will have Infrastructure SA assess an extension to North Adelaide before committing to it.
The State Government intends to ask its yet-to-be-established Infrastructure SA body to assess the merits of a tram service to North Adelaide before making any commitment to it.
As InDaily reported yesterday, the multimillion-dollar Festival Centre tram stop on King William Road, which leads to O’Connell Street, will host only an infrequent service on weekends and public holidays.
The recently constructed King William Road tramlines and the stop would serve only a minor function unless it acts as a precursor to a future tram service to North Adelaide.
City councillors Natasha Malani and Phil Martin land on opposite sides of most debates, but they agree on this: a tram extension to North Adelaide along O’Connell Street would be a coup for the suburb.
They say it would help to underwrite the success of the council’s prospective development of the old Le Cornu site – which has stood vacant for nearly 30 years – and help turn North Adelaide into a “destination” rather than a “thoroughfare”.
“We want O’Connell Street … to be a destination in its own right, where people go to shop and where people go to eat, where they spend time, they spend money,” said Malani.
“North Adelaide is the first tram extension that this State Government should look at delivering … the sooner, the better.”
She said the development of 88 O’Connell Street would viable whether a tramline was built or not, but that a tram there would make retail and apartment sales there more attractive.
“The project doesn’t rely on a tram … (but) it would enhance the offering,” she said.
Martin told InDaily a tram service to O’Connell Street would help “reinvigorate the entire suburb” and encourage more people to ditch motor vehicles in favour of public transport.
Area councillor Anne Moran said North Adelaide was already well served by public buses and that trams “would just congest the street”.
“North Adelaide is amply catered for by public transport,” she said.
“We congest our street when we have got trams and buses (and cars, sharing the road).”
She conceded that North Adelaide residents would probably be in favour of trams – a “romanticised” form of transport, in her view – but argued that the disadvantages of a tramline there outweighed the advantages.
All three councillors said the Government needed to make a decision about the North Adelaide tram extension – and fast.
A council committee meeting last night heard that council staff expect to be running temporary activations on the long-vacant 88 O’Connell Street site for about two years before works to develop the site get underway.
It’s the first public indication of a rough timeline for the promised development.
The council’s strategic plan envisions upgrades to the footpaths, road, lighting and greening along O’Connell Street as part of the development.
“If the tram construction goes ahead and it isn’t completed by the time 88 O’Connell is completed, it could delay the public realm upgrade,” said Martin.
That would come with “a lot of additional costs, which is a waste of ratepayers’ money”.
Moran told InDaily: “I’d rather they not do it (but) if you are going to do it, do it quickly – do it sooner rather than later.
“If they’re going to do it, do it (within) two years … tram lines are massively disruptive.
“When we finally want to sell the … retail and apartments (constructed as part of the 88 O’Connell Street development) it would be nice if whatever they’re going to do is well finished.”
Malani added: “We don’t want two major projects clogging up North Adelaide at the same time.”
All of the councillors said the 88 O’Connell Street development should go ahead regardless of the decision on the tram extension.
InDaily contacted a State Government spokesperson for comment.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Nort

#3234 Post by Nort » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Malani added: “We don’t want two major projects clogging up North Adelaide at the same time.”
:lol:

Absolutely hilarious that these guys are the same council area as the CBD.

claybro

#3235 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Haso wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm
“We congest our street when we have got trams and buses (and cars, sharing the road).”
Anne Moran's quote -not Haso
I love Anne Moran. Apparently exhaust spewing, noisy buses and cars congesting a street are ok, but not trams. On the contrary, I think casual traffic has actually reduced in King William street since the tram extension (only my perception on driving through not sure of the figures). Less people seem use it as a thoroughfare due to reduced right turns and perceived hold ups. I thought this is what the council should be encouraging.

Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3236 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Would a park n ride in the vicinity of the Aquatic centre help? From a peak hour traffic perspective and through tram frequency on King William st.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3237 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 am

Nowlistencarefully wrote:Would a park n ride in the vicinity of the Aquatic centre help? From a peak hour traffic perspective and through tram frequency on King William st.
I doubt anyone would be brave enough to build a park and ride on the Parklands! Besides, there's a perfectly good one just a stone's throw away at the Entertainment Centre.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#3238 Post by Haso » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 am
Nowlistencarefully wrote:Would a park n ride in the vicinity of the Aquatic centre help? From a peak hour traffic perspective and through tram frequency on King William st.
I doubt anyone would be brave enough to build a park and ride on the Parklands! Besides, there's a perfectly good one just a stone's throw away at the Entertainment Centre.
You really must be good at stone throwing… :D
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Waewick

#3239 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am

Norman wrote:
I would have though a park and ride near a major intersection would also be a pain for everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of Park and Rides but shouldn't they be further out?

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#3240 Post by Haso » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:59 am

Waewick wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am
Norman wrote:
I would have though a park and ride near a major intersection would also be a pain for everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of Park and Rides but shouldn't they be further out?
I am not saying it is relevant for today, but talking about building a park and ride on the Parklands… this was proposed in 1951… quote from the article - The carpark proposal was enthusiastically supported by the RAA, as long as good public transport could be provided to link them with the city centre. "There is nothing to fear from the aesthetic view point," an RAA spokesman said, according to The Advertiser. "The new car parks promise to be more attractive aesthetically than the present park lands."

Parkride.jpg
Parkride.jpg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
Taken from - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-20/c ... es/9941248