News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3211 Post by rubberman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:55 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm
We have a lot of catching up as regards to "how long to next tram/s". Nearly every major City in the world has this digital informatio,be it tram or bus at key loations including City Centre stops.
Here you go. Krakow in Poland.

Electronic display of routes and times. Check.
Buses and trams using the same stop. Check.
All door loading of buses and trams. Check.
Electric buses. Check
20180714_201252_resized.jpg
Outside Krakow Main Station
20180714_201252_resized.jpg (386.31 KiB) Viewed 3736 times

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3212 Post by Pistol » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am

Cracks in concrete footing, check
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3213 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

The timetable is a mess, though who even reads timetables these days?. I personally can't even remember the last time I actually looked at a timetable, I just search my destination on Google Maps.

Also why is the state so obsessed with using blue, red and gold for everything. I know they are the state colours, but a little bit more variety would be nice.

adelaide transport wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 pm
We have a lot of catching up as regards to "how long to next tram/s". Nearly every major City in the world has this digital informatio,be it tram or bus at key loations including City Centre stops.
Agreed, though we do have digital information at bus stops throughout the city. Also there's real time information available on the Adelaide Metro website.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3214 Post by citywatcher » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Pistol wrote:Cracks in concrete footing, check
Repaired. Check .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

claybro

#3215 Post by claybro » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Re the street scene in Krakow.. take out the little underpass in the background and I could swear it was a shot of North Terrace.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#3216 Post by Jaymz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 pm

crawf wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am
The timetable is a mess, though who even reads timetables these days?. I personally can't even remember the last time I actually looked at a timetable, I just search my destination on Google Maps.
For my particular tram stop timetable, I was able to put it as an icon on my phone from the Adelaide Metro website. As in the real time arrival/departure for the next few trams.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3217 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

https://youtu.be/K3tUI9804hY

New tram lines on North Terrace at 5:50pm today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llessur2002

#3218 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Largely sensationalising and re-hashing what the Advertiser had already covered last week re: new timetables to the Festival Centre stop. However, an interesting snippet about the proposed new right-hand turn from the acting Liberal Transport Minister:
Acting Liberal Transport Minister David Spiers told Seven News, in a story broadcast yesterday evening, that it may not be possible to build the right-hand turn.

Transport Department emails leaked to the TV news program had shown there were significant design problems and safety concerns associated with its construction.

“We have to have a very clear discussion about a way forward – can that election promise be fulfilled?” Speirs said.
So in other words, finally acknowledging what Labor said about the technical obstacles around implementing a right-hand turn at the intersection.

Full article: https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/07/17/ ... -weekdays/
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan

#3219 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm

What I don't understand is how the Festival Centre stop is new news. We've all known that's exactly how it was going to be going back to the start of the project, we've all discussed it on here.

Llessur2002

#3220 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm
What I don't understand is how the Festival Centre stop is new news. We've all known that's exactly how it was going to be going back to the start of the project, we've all discussed it on here.
I've said it before but I'm fast becoming disillusioned with InDaily's reporting style - especially around the tram extension.

Waewick

#3221 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm
I've said it before but I'm fast becoming disillusioned with InDaily's reporting style - especially around the tram extension.

I don't think the general public were as aware.

As for indaily they really only report whats going on. It isn't their job too talk up trams.

rubberman

#3222 Post by rubberman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm

As far as the right hand turn goes:

It was an ill-informed criticism made for political reasons. Fair enough, that's politics.

Now the new government is in power, if it builds the curve and tries to run a service on it, it will be an embarrassment, because trams will bank up because of the delay at the intersection. Whoops. Spending a lot of money, and it causes a problem is not a good look.

So, the government needs an excuse not to do it.

It then comes up with some mumbo jumbo about levels, sufficient to baffle the Advertiser.

So sad. Can't do it. Labor's fault.

Of course, that's BS. The levels are plenty close enough in that quadrant, it's not a high speed curve.

However, nobody will challenge them on this. The ALP has no reason to help. Anyone who has thought about it for five minutes will know it is daft, and stfu. The Advertiser is clueless.

All in all, storm meets tea cup here.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3223 Post by how good is he » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Regardless of the levels, traffic banking up blah blah blah, if it costs anywhere near the $37m quoted just to get a right hand turn, that is enough reason NOT to do it..how can anyone or any Govt justify that?

rubberman

#3224 Post by rubberman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 pm
Regardless of the levels, traffic banking up blah blah blah, if it costs anywhere near the $37m quoted just to get a right hand turn, that is enough reason NOT to do it..how can anyone or any Govt justify that?
That figure was plucked out of the air by the clerks in the Budget Office just before the election. They specifically said it had not been anywhere near departmental advice. So, it could be half a million far all anybody knows. Or less.

However, nobody wants to go down any path that makes this dog of an idea look better.

Waewick

#3225 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:04 am

rubberman wrote:
how good is he wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 pm
That figure was plucked out of the air by the clerks in the Budget Office just before the election. They specifically said it had not been anywhere near departmental advice. So, it could be half a million far all anybody knows. Or less.

However, nobody wants to go down any path that makes this dog of an idea look better.
The right hand turn was justified by the city loop lite proposition from memory.

Given they've ditched that, whats the point of a right turn anyway? Pretty much a cluster f**k of a situation.

Trams in Adelaide feel like the state version of the electricity market, completely ruined by political ineptitude.