News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4426 Post by Aidan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 am

SBD,
I admit I haven't actually measured it, but University Drive certainly looks steeper than the tram overpass, and the steep section is longer.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rubberman

#4427 Post by rubberman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 am

SBD wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 am
Aidan wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:22 pm
Eurostar wrote:Considering most people don't actually have to go to the city but suburb to suburb I think it'll be wise to look at suburban tram lines.
For example:

1) Gawler to Gawler Central Line via 19th Street, Adelaide Road, Murray Street. *Possible extension to Willaston pub.
What would trams do on that route that buses wouldn't?
2) Brighton to Flinders University via Sturt Road, University Drive.
Have you forgotten how steep University Drive is?
Also, why Brighton? The existing buses that way aren't particularly full.
IMO it would be better to construct bus lanes on Sturt Road (which would require widening for part of the length).
That is the route the horse trams once used in Gawler, so I guess it would do exactly the same as every other tram route used to do before they were ripped up, and as every new tram route that replaces buses does. The challenge now is that Murray Street is already very congested. Would a street-running tram make it better or worse?

Is University Drive any steeper than the tram overpass at Goodwood? Trams seem to be able to handle steeper grades than trains do.
Trams can usually handle grades of 8% routinely.

The present overpass at Goodwood is not as steep as the old one the H (and F and F1 etc) trams used to go over. In fact, the old A class could manage it.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4428 Post by d3v310per » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 am

Noticed this morning the line from North Terrace to Festival Plaza tram stop is currently closed and undergoing maintenance/repair. Does anyone know what the nature of the work is?

rubberman

#4429 Post by rubberman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 am
Noticed this morning the line from North Terrace to Festival Plaza tram stop is currently closed and undergoing maintenance/repair. Does anyone know what the nature of the work is?
It's always closed on weekdays. I saw them install a drainage tank and some access covers. Just some minor improvements by the looks.

rubberman

#4430 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:24 pm

For the opening of Parliament, the trams ran Glenelg to Festival Plaza, and Entertainment Centre to Adelaide Railway Station.
Attachments
20200205_131751_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20200205_131501_copy_1612x1209.jpg

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#4431 Post by dbl96 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Other than the no-brainer City Loop and North Adelaide extensions that should but won't happen, what are people's thoughts on extensions to Norwood Town Hall, Prospect Road and Unley Road (or maybe further to Mitcham Station and Civic Centre)? An extension from the Entertainment Centre to Hindmarsh Stadium for operation on match days only would also be a very useful addition (either stop in Port Road median or continue single track down Milner Street median).
An extension to Hindmarsh Stadium via Milner St could set the groundwork for future extensions down Grange Road. Grange Rd is a corridor with a lot of potential. It is a busy, commercial, inner city corridor that cuts right through the middle of an area of the western suburbs with no existing rail lines. A Grange Rd tram corridor could also be combined with the conversion of the Grange rail line and its separation from the heavy rail Outer Harbor line as discussed in the Outer Harbor line study. The Grange Rd corridor also has a lot of potential to open up easy access to a segment of Adelaide's coastline which is often overlooked by visitors in favour of Glenelg.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4432 Post by Spotto » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 am

dbl96 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:52 pm
An extension to Hindmarsh Stadium via Milner St could set the groundwork for future extensions down Grange Road. Grange Rd is a corridor with a lot of potential. It is a busy, commercial, inner city corridor that cuts right through the middle of an area of the western suburbs with no existing rail lines. A Grange Rd tram corridor could also be combined with the conversion of the Grange rail line and its separation from the heavy rail Outer Harbor line as discussed in the Outer Harbor line study. The Grange Rd corridor also has a lot of potential to open up easy access to a segment of Adelaide's coastline which is often overlooked by visitors in favour of Glenelg.
Grange Road is actually an interesting idea, IMO much more interesting than the common suggestion of continuing on Port Road which is already parallel to the Outer Harbor Line. And it looks fairly dense with shops as you get closer to Military Road

Though I don’t think it’d be viable to have both train and tram, but it could allow the Grange Line be rerouted to West Lakes. The tram would likely just sap any remaining passengers from the train

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4433 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:18 am

Spotto wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:10 am
Though I don’t think it’d be viable to have both train and tram, but it could allow the Grange Line be rerouted to West Lakes.
Do this. You would triple rail patronage immediately. Build a TTP-like park and ride there.

Many buses already use the bus interchange. This would allow convenient bus-train interchange.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4434 Post by Goodsy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:33 pm

Run it like this

Tram all the way up Port Rd to Port Adelaide
Convert Grange line to tram

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4435 Post by d3v310per » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 am

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:33 pm
Run it like this

I agree with this but question the duplication of having a Port Road line to West Lakes Boulevard (WLB) whilst retaining the parallel Outer Habour corridor.
Would it not be better to use the existing rail corridor until WLB instead of building another down Port Road from the Entertainment Centre?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4436 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 am

d3v310per wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 am
Goodsy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:33 pm
Run it like this

I agree with this but question the duplication of having a Port Road line to West Lakes Boulevard (WLB) whilst retaining the parallel Outer Habour corridor.
Would it not be better to use the existing rail corridor until WLB instead of building another down Port Road from the Entertainment Centre?
There are many businesses on Port Road between Bowden and Woodville that will benefit from the tramline, close to SANFL ground in Woodville too.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4437 Post by d3v310per » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 am
There are many businesses on Port Road between Bowden and Woodville that will benefit from the tramline, close to SANFL ground in Woodville too.
Totally agree Port Road businesses would benefit. Seems to me having parallel tram lines so close to one another would be overkill. Happy to stand corrected as I’m not a transport expert by any means. Cheers for your feedback :cheers:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4438 Post by Goodsy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:09 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:04 am
Totally agree Port Road businesses would benefit. Seems to me having parallel tram lines so close to one another would be overkill. Happy to stand corrected as I’m not a transport expert by any means. Cheers for your feedback :cheers:
Trams compete with buses, not trains. You only need to look at Melbourne to see that Trams and Trains can coexist

Black is trains, red is trams

claybro

#4439 Post by claybro » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 am

All the options being discussed were covered off previously under the previous Labor government, including the Grange Road option. It just got put in the too hard basket. What people still don't seem to understand is that once OH is electrified as heavy rail, there will be no light rail of any type for the NW, and Grange spur will close. That is pretty much where it is currently at.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4440 Post by how good is he » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 am

Also the Charles Sturt council has just spent tens of millions on new stormwater, car parking, lighting & landscaping etc down the centre of Port Rd. There’s no way they are going to want or allow this to just get ripped up.