[COM] Britannia Roundabout

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
Maximus
Legendary Member!
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: The Bush Capital (Canberra)
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#61 Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 am

Any feedback from those who use the new roundabouts on a regular basis?

Apparently the design has been recognised by the Institute of Public Works...
Solution to Britannia Roundabouts’ woes came from similar system in Naracoorte
DAVID NANKERVIS; AMELIA BROADSTOCK -- The Advertiser
June 04, 2014 12:47AM


THE “CUT-PRICE” solution that has slashed accidents at Adelaide’s most notorious intersection was inspired by a similar design in a small country town.

A year to the day since the State Government announced a dual roundabout solution to the decades-old Britannia Roundabout problem, The Advertiser can reveal the inspiration came from a similar system in Naracoorte, in the state’s South-East.

And while it cost less than half the amount of previous proposals that threatened to impinge on the Parklands, the dual roundabout design is proving its worth, with crash rates falling by more than a third since the new system began operating six months ago.

...

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan will today announce the Britannia roundabouts project has been recognised by the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia in its annual Excellence Awards.

full article...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Dvious
Legendary Member!
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#62 Post by Dvious » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 pm

It works SO much better than before. I feel more confident myself going through it. You can tell other drivers do to.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2850
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 84 times

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#63 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 pm

I have driven through those roundabouts at Nackeroote many times, and I honestly fail to see how they in any way resemble the Britania Roundabouts for road layout or traffic density, which is what causes the big issue after all. I like the sign though - "Naracoorte - Birthplace of the Britania Roundabouts"
cheers,
Rhino

Archer
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:44 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#64 Post by Archer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:26 pm

I really only utilise one of the roundabouts and while there may have been an improvement through a reduction in accident numbers, I have seen a lot of close calls. I also think that the night time peak traffic on Fullarton road heading south have gotten a raw deal. There are now often very long queues to get through the roundabout, and with the only break in traffic being provided by the very few motorists turning northbound into Fullarton road, the wait can be frustratingly long.

On top of that the queue of traffic down Fullarton road from Greenhill road, while not the fault of the Roundabouts, compounds the problem for south bound Fullarton road traffic.

While I'm glad it's working well for everyone else, there really needs to be some way to get Fullarton road flowing better.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#65 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Archer wrote:I really only utilise one of the roundabouts and while there may have been an improvement through a reduction in accident numbers, I have seen a lot of close calls. I also think that the night time peak traffic on Fullarton road heading south have gotten a raw deal. There are now often very long queues to get through the roundabout, and with the only break in traffic being provided by the very few motorists turning northbound into Fullarton road, the wait can be frustratingly long.

On top of that the queue of traffic down Fullarton road from Greenhill road, while not the fault of the Roundabouts, compounds the problem for south bound Fullarton road traffic.

While I'm glad it's working well for everyone else, there really needs to be some way to get Fullarton road flowing better.
I'd say the same about Wakefield - Kensignton

but given you are then faced with a traffic jam starting before Osmond Terrance rushing around the round about is pointless.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[COM] Re: U/C: Britannia Roundabout

#66 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:06 pm

SO I've been using the roundabout alot in the last 12 months and it is really just getting annoying.

The main things that really irk me, anecdotally coming down Kensignton Rd the vast majority of people want to continue onto to Wakefield, looking at the Dptia stats each way traffic on Wakefield is around 17,300 over a 24 hour period so around 8650 cars each direction- noting that 3000 of those people utilise the slip lane on Fullarton Road that allows direct access to Wakefield.

That leaves around 5650 cars trying to get down Wakefield street which causes an issue at peak times because there is only 1 lane to turn onto Wakefield Street which quite often results in traffic jams in both lanes as people try to get into the left lane (usually optimistic drivers who took the right lane at Kensignton in the hope of veering into the left lane), not I many cars stuck in the right hand lane simply utilise the smaller roundabout but this still causes unnecessary build up of the single lane.

In my opinion, the Government needs to bite the bullet and introduce traffic lights at peak times to remove this congestion.

This would also alleviate the pressure point at the 6pm peak hour as most drivers are looking at going down Kensigton or turn right onto Fullarton, which also causes huge delays due to the stop lights in rose park causing the occasional log jam of people on the actual roundabout.

Personally I'd remove the Fullarton Road extension and force the cars down Magill Road and improve that intersection, which would also help with improving the ring route.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[COM] [COM] [COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#67 Post by Waewick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:38 pm

https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/06/25/ ... -overhaul/
Traffic experts are suggesting a new overhaul of the notorious Britannia roundabout intersection, which remains one of the state’s worst crossroads for serious crashes despite a major redevelopment in 2013.


Not suprised by this. Horrible roundabout that a avoid now. Partly poor drivers but partly just a crap roundabout.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#68 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am

I like traffic lights (especially when they're green).

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1346
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 376 times
Been thanked: 580 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#69 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am

As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely nothing wrong with this intersection - there are literally thousands of very similar roundabouts in daily use across Europe that cause no issues whatsoever.

I guess the problem lies in the fact that this is likely to be the only vaguely complex roundabout many Adelaide drivers will use in their lifetime. So do we either educate road users further (i.e. remind them of the existing road rules that being licence holders they should already know in order to assist them in understanding how to treat this intersection), or spend millions more dollars replacing a perfectly good intersection with something so incredibly dumbed down so that the local drivers can whizz straight through it without having to worry with annoying details such as who should give way to whom?

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#70 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:11 am

Having worked opposite the roundabout for a number of years, and traversing the previous design twice daily, the complexity comes from it being a double lane roundabout in places and single in others. It was at these stress points that the majority of accidents occurred. It is ambiguous in the sense that, from some directions you are permitted to cross over a double lane to turn right (left lane of Dequetteville on to Fullarton heading south) and others not (left lane on Fullarton to go around the roundabout (turns to single lane) and continue on Fullarton Road).

My previous reference to the Monty Python song wasn't all sarcastic - traffic lights with well thought out timing periods would provide a safer, less complicated and potentially fairer option IMHO.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#71 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am
As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely nothing wrong with this intersection - there are literally thousands of very similar roundabouts in daily use across Europe that cause no issues whatsoever.

I guess the problem lies in the fact that this is likely to be the only vaguely complex roundabout many Adelaide drivers will use in their lifetime. So do we either educate road users further (i.e. remind them of the existing road rules that being licence holders they should already know in order to assist them in understanding how to treat this intersection), or spend millions more dollars replacing a perfectly good intersection with something so incredibly dumbed down so that the local drivers can whizz straight through it without having to worry with annoying details such as who should give way to whom?
I haven't seen any which such a short time between the 4 entrances? normally they would be bigger to enable smoother transition?

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 236 times
Been thanked: 208 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#72 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:51 pm

All such drivers complaining could try this out...

Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Listy
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:07 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#73 Post by Listy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:41 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:51 pm
All such drivers complaining could try this out...

Image
Every London suburb has a monster roundabout lurking at its heart. They draw in all the old, befuddled & incompetent drivers and trap them forever, leaving them circling endlessly until they either die of old age or give up and catch the tube instead.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 pm
Been thanked: 16 times

[COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#74 Post by crowdoc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 am

The problem with Britania Roundabout is that there is to much traffic as there are no other access roads to the CBD from south-east of the city. There is no access from Wakefield all the way around to Hutt St. THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER ROAD ACROSS VICTORIA PARK.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Britannia Roundabout

#75 Post by Waewick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:09 am

crowdoc wrote:The problem with Britania Roundabout is that there is to much traffic as there are no other access roads to the CBD from south-east of the city. There is no access from Wakefield all the way around to Hutt St. THERE SHOULD BE ANOTHER ROAD ACROSS VICTORIA PARK.
Is this a joke?

There are plenty of roads.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests