Glenelg-Kingscote Ferry

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Glenelg-Kingscote Ferry

#16 Post by rev » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Aidan wrote: Why would we want to when we can have one at Victor instead?
Why would you want tourists to disembark at Victor Harbor, 90 minutes away from Adelaide?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 pm

As for the ferry ex Glenelg, I just don't understand why this has not happened already. Glenelg and KI are two of our most attractive destinations for international tourists. A ferry from Glenelg would be much more visible, marketable and accessible for tourists and locals alike. It would create a much greater daytrip market to the island. If the mouthy MR Makris can't make this happen, then maybe the government could "encourage" the current operator to set this up ASAP.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Dazzeland » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

claybro wrote:As for the ferry ex Glenelg, I just don't understand why this has not happened already. Glenelg and KI are two of our most attractive destinations for international tourists. A ferry from Glenelg would be much more visible, marketable and accessible for tourists and locals alike. It would create a much greater daytrip market to the island. If the mouthy MR Makris can't make this happen, then maybe the government could "encourage" the current operator to set this up ASAP.
+1

Aidan

#19 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:15 pm

rev wrote:
Aidan wrote: Why would we want to when we can have one at Victor instead?
Why would you want tourists to disembark at Victor Harbor, 90 minutes away from Adelaide?
Because it's less detour for ships, there's plenty of tourist attractions and it's only 90 minutes from Adelaide.

There's a thread about it in the Visions section.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:07 pm

I could see a ferry between VH/Kingscote, in addition to Glenelg/Kingscote, working quite well. Tourists could catch a coach bus to VH, spend a couple of days, then over to KI for a week or so, returning to Glenelg, finally a short taxi ride to the airport.

Organised tours could include a stopover in McLaren Vale on the way to VH, a few bottles in hand for your time on KI.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

claybro

#21 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Wayno wrote:I could see a ferry between VH/Kingscote, in addition to Glenelg/Kingscote, working quite well. Tourists could catch a coach bus to VH, spend a couple of days, then over to KI for a week or so, returning to Glenelg, finally a short taxi ride to the airport.

Organised tours could include a stopover in McLaren Vale on the way to VH, a few bottles in hand for your time on KI.

Wasn't Victor Harbor abandoned as a port early last century due to the danger of seas just offshore? Submerged rocks, heavy swell...I'm sure I have read that the lack of a suitable port on the South Coast was one of the main reasons for Victor not being considered as the location for our colonial capital, and the first attempt at a wharf there (off Granite Island) had to be abandoned even as a small local operation.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

claybro wrote:Wasn't Victor Harbor abandoned as a port early last century
not 100% sure, but i believe the concern was of direct exposure to southern ocean seas, not mooring depth, as VH was once a whaling port. I would presume cape jervis is similarly exposed to such seas.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ho Really

#23 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 pm

neoballmon wrote:IF this goes ahead and IF it really is a two hour journey by sea, this will really hurt SeaLink.
[...]
I'm not sure but Makris must have seen something in Greece that gave him the idea. There are plenty of fast ferries over there. It can be done.

He 'd probably expand the marina as well and add a pier for the ferry (and possibly for small cruise ships).
monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:A ferry terminal? Moving the cruise ship terminal to Glenelg from Outer Harbor would be better. A much nicer entry to Adelaide for ship-born visitors.
Pretty sure that Glenelg is unsuitable for that because the water's not deep enough there.
Dead on monotonehell. The large cruise ships currently visiting Outer Harbor - those with draughts of around 8 metres [and more such as QM2] - would need a channel dredged into the gulf. However if they only wanted the smaller boutique cruise ships or the expedition-type vessels with shallower draughts it could be possible. The biggest issue would be an environmental one.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

claybro

#24 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Ho Really wrote:I'm not sure but Makris must have seen something in Greece that gave him the idea. There are plenty of fast ferries over there. It can be done.

He 'd probably expand the marina as well and add a pier for the ferry (and possibly for small cruise ships).
Or, he might buy the marina, bulldoze the buildings and let it rot for 20 odd years, whilst arguing with the council over completely bogus developments.

Ho Really

#25 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Wayno wrote:
claybro wrote:Wasn't Victor Harbor abandoned as a port early last century
not 100% sure, but i believe the concern was of direct exposure to southern ocean seas, not mooring depth, as VH was once a whaling port. I would presume cape jervis is similarly exposed to such seas.
At present only small cruise ships have dropped anchor in the bay. Victor Harbor has potential but it would require a longer breakwater, some dredging and a wharf (with dolphins) capable of handling cruise ships up to 300 metres LOA. Not an easy feat.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by arki » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 pm

claybro wrote:
Ho Really wrote:I'm not sure but Makris must have seen something in Greece that gave him the idea. There are plenty of fast ferries over there. It can be done.

Or, he might buy the marina, bulldoze the buildings and let it rot for 20 odd years, whilst arguing with the council over completely bogus developments.
Buy the marina? Who do you think owns it? Who do you think built it?!