GPS Tracking AdMet

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mcardlej
Sen-Rookie-Sational

GPS Tracking AdMet

#1 Post by mcardlej » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm

A source tells me they're currently testing live GPS tracking of O-Bahn buses with a plan to roll out soon.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: GPS Tracking AdMet

#2 Post by muzzamo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm

I posted all the details for the trial on here but the post was deleted - mods assumed that it wasn't yet public.

(It was emailed to all metrocard trial participants)

Seemed to work pretty well, my only gripe is that it only shows the next 3 services, which isn't going to work at busy stops that have that many services per minute.

Judging by what they showed you would have to expect a production roll out in the next month or so.

The other thing that people will have to get used to is the concept of the "Stop ID", its a 4-digt number associated with each bus stop. They will want this to be clearly printed on each and every stop as well as a QR code imo.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

muzzamo wrote:...The other thing that people will have to get used to is the concept of the "Stop ID", its a 4-digt number associated with each bus stop. They will want this to be clearly printed on each and every stop as well as a QR code imo.
Agree if they want people to understand this stop ID thing, they need to put it on the stops and elsewhere. As it stands no one is interested in it.

QR codes on bus stops is an interesting idea, and possibly the first useful (non-marketing bollocks) application of a QR code I've ever heard. Since "everyone" has a mobile phone, they no longer need a smart stop display on every bus stop. Nice one Muzzamo.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 am

I like the Stop ID thing, but I have no idea offhand what the Stop ID for my nearest bus stop (or train station for that matter), is.

It is very practical, and for times you're racing through town on foot towards a bus stop to get you home for example, and you want to find out when the next service is so you can decide whether to walk or run, it's easier to type in 'AdelaideMetro Stop ID 4756' rather than 'Stop 28 Grenfell Street north side'.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by bay transit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 am

Stop ID's for most routes have been shown on the Adelaide Metro website since the site was redone.
Go into timetables,select the route then click on a day-type(i.e.Mondays-Fridays,Saturdays,Sundays and Public Holidays).You will then get stop ID nos plus the time of departure from that stop.
Sorry-an update,when I just went in to the 265 and M44 the no's have now been removed?However if you click on the individual stop details at the top of the page it takes you to another page with stop details and ID number!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am

The new upcoming mobile site allows you to use your GPS to find the nearest stop anyway.

mcardlej
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by mcardlej » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I think it will come in really handy with mobile apps (iOS and Android) because the timetables, maps, live estimates, service alerts etc will be able to reconcile all the data into one view.

fyi: I have a friend who owns and operates http://transittimesapp.com/ (so i'm a bit biased), but I'm so keen for this to start up in our city! He has his app already prepared for when it goes live.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I always envisioned the GPS tracking as a map on your phone/tablet/desktop, with the positions of various buses (on your selected routes) shown in realtime. Timer countdowns aren't all that new, in fact, a bunch of the Grenfell/Currie St stops have had that for years.

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Nathan wrote:I always envisioned the GPS tracking as a map on your phone/tablet/desktop, with the positions of various buses (on your selected routes) shown in realtime.
They're making the real time data available so that developers will be able to create that sort of app. Although they're not commissioning an app, their expectation (based on what's happened elsewhere) is that several apps will make use of the data.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 am

ChillyPhilly wrote: it's easier to type in 'AdelaideMetro Stop ID 4756' rather than 'Stop 28 Grenfell Street north side'.
Unfortunately you can't :-(

Whenever you google for something on the admet site on your mobile, it ignores your request for the content you are looking for and forwards you to a silly mobile homepage.

Could everyone please do me a favor and vote for this issue "mobile website breaks google" (with 3 votes) on their user voice site:

https://adelaidemetro.uservoice.com/cli ... .com.au%2F

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:33 am

muzzamo wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote: it's easier to type in 'AdelaideMetro Stop ID 4756' rather than 'Stop 28 Grenfell Street north side'.
Unfortunately you can't :-(

Whenever you google for something on the admet site on your mobile, it ignores your request for the content you are looking for and forwards you to a silly mobile homepage.

Could everyone please do me a favor and vote for this issue "mobile website breaks google" (with 3 votes) on their user voice site:

https://adelaidemetro.uservoice.com/cli ... .com.au%2F
You have a response marked "started" but the reply seems to be a fob off? Not sure if I understand the response.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 am

monotonehell wrote: You have a response marked "started" but the reply seems to be a fob off? Not sure if I understand the response.
I also have a response to their response which is awaiting moderation.

Either way, we can stack it with our votes :-)

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm

A preview of the new functionality
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.34 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 8432 times

Nathan

#14 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:24 pm

I've got an "improvement idea" for AdelaideMetro: Don't cover up the listings with a huge orange banner.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by kenget » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:28 am

The phone says 8:48PM and the next service is in less than 1m at 7:58AM :shock: :?: