PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

Re: PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

#31 Post by Adamo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Looking at the renders, the new tram 'LINK' ways will be only 1 track per route. This wouldn't be efficient?
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

metro
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by metro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Adamo wrote:Looking at the renders, the new tram 'LINK' ways will be only 1 track per route. This wouldn't be efficient?
It's like when the first images of the new trains came out, the driver had a steering wheel and a coin tray :lol:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Goodsy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:21 pm

So the Northern Connector doesn't go all the way to the Northern Expressway now?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Waewick » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 pm

still disappointing that it is a political fight. would have been great for both sides to agree with it prior to release.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Like the trams coming off the railway corridor at Bowden and heading down Port Rd, this would create a huge issue and seems crazy since there's a perfectly good rail corridor that just needs a underpass, this would end up being cheaper then reconfiguring Port Rd (City ring route) which is already a busy road, having some trams go down Port Rd and continue further would be a good idea.
Also why would you not link the Henley Square and Grange lines? it's only 2km (approx) this would create a lot of flexibility in services.

Nathan

#36 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:22 pm

medo wrote:some of you who are here regularly and always against anything that does not suit their car/armchair vision
Not sure what forum you're reading, but I think you'll find most people on this forum are either pro-public and alternative transport, or at least hold a balanced view.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by how good is he » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Ok the really big question.... Why isn't there a monorail in all this? Lol
Seriously I think a bigger tram network is a good idea however to turn all these main roads like Henley Beach Rd, Prospect Rd, The Parade, Unley Rd etc effectively to only one lane would have dire consequences...unless these roads could be widened I don't think our roads have the room to support it.
The question I have to the forum is do you really see our use of cars, 4wd, trucks etc growing or shrinking in the future?

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#38 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Hooligan wrote:
HeapsGood wrote: And definite yes for international train terminal at Adelaide Railway station.

That would be an Australian first!

Can't wait to catch a train from Adelaide to Tokyo!

LOL didnt you see the part in the study about the rail tunnel from Cape York to Tokyo?

*interstate
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Nathan

#39 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 pm

how good is he wrote:Ok the really big question.... Why isn't there a monorail in all this? Lol
Seriously I think a bigger tram network is a good idea however to turn all these main roads like Henley Beach Rd, Prospect Rd, The Parade, Unley Rd etc effectively to only one lane would have dire consequences...unless these roads could be widened I don't think our roads have the room to support it.
The question I have to the forum is do you really see our use of cars, 4wd, trucks etc growing or shrinking in the future?
Most of those roads are effectively one lane most of the time anyway (between park cars in the left lane, and turning cars in the right). Rather than widening, they just need to remove the street parking. (That of course raises a new set of problems, but they can be worked through).

I think we'll continue to see a modest rise in cars in the near future, but will soon reach their peak and start declining. As car related costs increase (petrol, parking), public and alternative transport options improve and become more attractive, and the city and inner suburbs increase in density, behaviours will start to change.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by zippySA » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 am

Whether you are cynical or a believer - at last we have a public plan and at $36B for 30 years - it doesn't actually on face value appear unachievable at $1.2B per annum (in fact it could be accelerated as benefits are realised and revenues improve) - this spend rate would be no more than the last 8 or 9 years of the Labour Government and DPTI at a guess.

Working in the industry of infrastructure - certainty and the ability to plan ahead is critical and this sort of plan will assist identifying the skills and opportunties needed to build a sustainable local business. What I would love to see now is the prioritisation and timeframes - any Government will need some flexibility and options through the many electoral cycles of a 30 year plan, but it would be fantastic to see conceptually how separate elements fall into place, creating one coherent network where logical, staged progress generates more momentum to achieve the ultimate goal - the best city Adelaide can be.

Perhaps this forum can work on prioritising the wish-list in 3x decade long chunks.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by Maximus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am

All this talk about funding... I agree you can't expect to have a 30-year plan fully-funded from the outset. Having said that, the Premier reckons that it's not too far off...
Labor has $36bn 30-year vision
by: MARK SHLIEBS

LABOR has unveiled a $36 billion plan to overhaul South Australia's transport networks, claiming the private sector investment and a continuation of current levels of capital investment would fund nearly all of its proposed projects.

Mr Weatherill said $6bn of the projects were either completed or under way, with the private sector expected to invest $7bn in freight corridors and ports.

He said a further $23bn would be sourced from annual transport budgets, calculated on the assumption that recent levels of capital expenditure would continue over 30 years, with a funding shortfall of just $6bn.

full article
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by mshagg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:47 am

how good is he wrote: Seriously I think a bigger tram network is a good idea however to turn all these main roads like Henley Beach Rd, Prospect Rd, The Parade, Unley Rd etc effectively to only one lane would have dire consequences...unless these roads could be widened I don't think our roads have the room to support it.
At the risk of making constant comparisons to Melbourne, fairly significant inner suburban roads like Sydney Rd, Smith St, Brunswick St are comparable in size and purpose to the parade, unley rd etc and they seem to manage just fine with trams and cars sharing the same strip of turf. They didnt even have to outlaw on-street parking...

Our use of cars will scale with the infrastructure we provide for them. Add another lane and another lane's worth of people will jump in their cars.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by Mr Smith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:54 pm

There are a lot of people on here banging on about P/T and essentially saying that anything to do with upgrading road infrustructure is bad.

What a pile of crap. Anybody who doesn't think that the #1 priority should be a non stop north - south corridor is seriously deluded.

Moving freight N-S is critical to state economic growth. Trams to the inner suburbs latte strips are fine, however lets get the priorities right.

Nathan

#44 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Mr Smith wrote:There are a lot of people on here banging on about P/T and essentially saying that anything to do with upgrading road infrustructure is bad.

What a pile of crap. Anybody who doesn't think that the #1 priority should be a non stop north - south corridor is seriously deluded.

Moving freight N-S is critical to state economic growth. Trams to the inner suburbs latte strips are fine, however lets get the priorities right.
I don't think anyone is saying any upgrading of road infrastructure is bad. The needs of freight are well understood. It's road widening and corridors as solutions to commuter congestion that most are against, with public transport being favoured to solve that particular problem — and it seems the 30yr plan agrees.

rubberman

#45 Post by rubberman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Yes Dr Smith. It does look suspiciously like those tramlines serve the latte suburbs. Quite frankly I cannot see how a tram can provide a faster service than a bus down a street like Prospect Road. It is certainly likely to be more expensive. And the city loop joining the 'fashionable' areas of the East End, Hutt St will be just dandy for picking up those delicious treats at the Central Market. :banana:

Having said that, there is probably an argument for that length of tramline serving some suburbs that actually are of higher density, IF (and that is a big IF) there are some higher density developments along some of those roads. However, my suspicion is that the nimbys will take the trams but reject the higher density developments that would allow trams to work efficiently and economically. :roll:

So, overall, probably not a bad idea to allow for that length of tramline in the budgetting and strategic planning process, but take the actual routes with a truck load of salt. :wink:

And yes, South Road needs to be addressed...forty years ago. :wallbash: