PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

#1 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Weatherill government unveils $36 billion public transport plan for Adelaide, including trams and underground O-Bahn
DANIEL WILLS STATE POLITICAL EDITOR
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6743876239

A TRAM network branching across Adelaide's inner suburbs, non-stop South Rd corridor and underground O-Bahn have been flagged in a new 30-year State Government transport plan.

Premier Jay Weatherill has today announced a $36 billion transport "vision", which he has branded as "the most sophisticated and detailed" plan of its type in the state's history.

It spells out ambitious plans for road duplications, an extensive tram network and new ports and rail services but will likely face attack for a lack of funding or clear delivery timelines.

A proposed AdeLINK tram network would deliver services to Henley Square, The Parade, Prospect and Unley roads. It also includes plans for lines to Port Adelaide, West Lakes, Outer Harbor and Grange as well as a spur route connecting the city to Adelaide Airport.

An artist's impression of an extended rail network for South Australia, as part of the Government's $36 billion, 30
An artist's impression of an extended rail network for South Australia, as part of the Government's $36 billion, 30 year transport plan.
All services would connect to a city loop connecting Morphett, Sturt, Halifax and Frome streets.

Mr Weatherill said the Government "will complete" a non-stop road corridor between Gawler and Old Noarlunga as well as underground the O-Bahn between Hackney Rd and the city.

It is promising road intersection upgrades on city ring routes to limit congestion and duplications of the Victor Harbor to McLaren Vale and Mount Compass roads.

An artist's impression of an extended rail network for South Australia, as part of the Government's $36 billion, 30
An artist's impression of an extended rail network for South Australia, as part of the Government's $36 billion, 30 year transport plan.
Plans to seal the Strezelecki Track are also included.

The plan flags expansion of the city's bike network, including separation from traffic.

Deep sea port facilities on the Eyre and Yorke peninsulas are planned with connections to efficient road and rail services. The Government also intends upgrades to regional airports.

Mr Weatherill said the recent electrification of the Seaford rail line was "only the beginning" of State Government plans, which also included upgrades to the Grange and Gawler lines.

Interstate rail is to be moved from Keswick to the Adelaide Railway Station.

The Government says it is planning more Park `n' Ride facilities and upgrades to "all" train stations, as well and new bus routes that run across the city and better connect to rail services.

Land for future rail corridors in growing suburbs would also be protected, it says.

However, the Government's own policy documents concede "significant" funding is needed.

"Initial estimates of the initiatives included in the plan indicate an overall capital funding requirement of around $29 billion in 2013 dollars over the next 30 years," they state.

"On current assessments of likely future funding, with no allowances for cost rises and indexation, available funding of around $23 billion could be expected.

"Future governments will need to consider funding allocation in the context of competing needs ... and when projects offer the greatest potential to life productivity and economic growth.

"Financing models need to protect taxpayers and road users. The State Labor Government will not support the introduction of toll roads in South Australia."

Major infrastructure spending in SA over the past five years was made possible by the former Labor Federal Government's stimulus response to the global financial crisis.

The spending has been supported by heavy State Government borrowing, leading to forecasts the Budget will burdened with a record public debt nearing $14 billion in 2016.

The Government used last year's Budget to put previously announced plans for a Port Adelaide tram, O-Bahn extension and Gawler rail electrification on ice. It blamed collapsing tax revenue.

Delivery of the new 30-year plan would also rely on federal government support.

Mr Weatherill said the Government had made an "enormous investment" in the state's transport infrastructure over the past decade and that the new plan "builds upon this momentum".

"It has detailed plans for roads, including the critical north-south corridor, regional highways and staged intersection upgrades," Mr Weatherill said.

"The plan tells us how freight industries can be supported and how mining can further grow through ports infrastructure. The plan also supports South Australians to live active lives through a comprehensive network of cycling infrastructure.

"This is a plan through which all South Australians will benefit."

The plan will be opened to public consultation until November 29.

Nathan

Re: PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

#2 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Here's the full policy document: http://www.premier.sa.gov.au/strongersa ... nsport.pdf

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_sxRi23wu0

And a grab of the CBD map:
building_a_stronger_sa--transport-22.jpg
building_a_stronger_sa--transport-22.jpg (222.4 KiB) Viewed 9896 times
Last edited by Nathan on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Huge and eventually necessary. But I'd also like to see a proper train line to the airport in that as well other than the spasmodic J1 service
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:Huge and eventually necessary. But I'd also like to see a proper train line to the airport in that as well other than the spasmodic J1 service

Tram line to the airport is a part of the West Link.

Pretty keen to see a lot of this happen. Wonder if Tony "roads roads roads" Abbott aka the Infrastructure PM is going to kick in any funding. I'm not holding my breath.

Great news that they're pushing to move the Interstate Rail to the CBD. I caught the train to Semaphore the other evening and the station is so magnificent but also in need of some TLC.

Over to you Opposition, what's your plan?

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:58 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:Huge and eventually necessary. But I'd also like to see a proper train line to the airport in that as well other than the spasmodic J1 service

Tram line to the airport is a part of the West Link.

Pretty keen to see a lot of this happen. Wonder if Tony "roads roads roads" Abbott aka the Infrastructure PM is going to kick in any funding. I'm not holding my breath.

Great news that they're pushing to move the Interstate Rail to the CBD. I caught the train to Semaphore the other evening and the station is so magnificent but also in need of some TLC.

Over to you Opposition, what's your plan?
I did see that but I guess I'll settle for a tram service, though I'd love a train all the same.

I've always been a staunch Liberal voter, and always will be and even though the Darlington proposal affects me (living in Seaford) I'd still prefer Labor's plan for the Torrens part. It is blatantly obvious to blind freddy that needs doing first.

I'm all for this, but labor are most likely gone in March so could be a pipe dream. But would love it to happen in some shape or form. No tinpot half hearted proposals. Just a full blooded one like this.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm

One interesting thing is the elimination of the Outer Harbour rail line entirely, to be replaced by tram. Is it just me, or is that pushing it as far as length of a tram line goes?
Guess that solves the Torrens Junction project, although as a future Bowden resident, I'd prefer the existing plan of undergrounding the rail line.

The city tram loop we've seen before, but it still looks odd to me. I guess with Adelaide's layout, it just throws me off by not being symmetrical.

The one thing I do think is missing though is completion of the city ring road by continuing Port Rd south along the western edge of the parkland to Anzac Hwy/Greenhill Rd. This would ease traffic on West Tce which could go through a lane reduction and eliminate that massive barrier between the city and the western parklands. It's been something recommended in a number of reports.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by muzzamo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:32 pm

The one thing missing here is funding.

The South Road upgrade, in particular, needs to be financed by tolls. I suspect the government will tackle this post-election.

Personally, I believe a wider tolling net, singapore-style, with the proceeds funded into any & all elements of this plan (including PT) would be ideal.

It seems that the city underground loop and tram to the airport are now firmly on the long-term agenda, which is good. I reckon by using light-rail the government may even be able to fund an airport link without excessive station facility charges, unlike Sydney and Brisbane. Its also good to see a continued commitment to priority bus lanes, despite the recent political pressure/lobbying from the RAA.

Another interesting detail I saw was hard shoulder running on the South Eastern Freeway.

And yeah I think running tram all the way to outer harbor is pushing it too. At the very least it would need to be combined with tram prioritization at traffic lights for the on-street segments, and perhaps the removal of some stations to speed up the service.

Finally, looking at the maps, it seems that there is a large corridor of suburbs that gets essentially nothing and will remain a car-dependent zone regardless - the outer south west suburbs for which the coastal-hugging train line is too far, eg happy valley, flagstaff hill, aberfoyle park, reynella, morphett vale, hackham, etc.
Last edited by muzzamo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mattblack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Only $36 Billion in todays money for the whole lot. $36 Billion more than what we have.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Nathan wrote:One interesting thing is the elimination of the Outer Harbour rail line entirely, to be replaced by tram. Is it just me, or is that pushing it as far as length of a tram line goes?
Ideally light rail should not be much more than 20 minutes end to end. Our Glenelg line is pushing it a bit.
Nathan wrote:The city tram loop we've seen before, but it still looks odd to me. I guess with Adelaide's layout, it just throws me off by not being symmetrical.
I thought you were a designer? Symmetry is death! :banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by bay transit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

muzzamo wrote:The one thing missing here is funding.

The South Road upgrade, in particular, needs to be financed by tolls. I suspect the government will tackle this post-election.

Personally, I believe a wider tolling net, singapore-style, with the proceeds funded into any & all elements of this plan (including PT) would be ideal.

It seems that the city underground loop and tram to the airport are now firmly on the long-term agenda, which is good. I reckon by using light-rail the government may even be able to fund an airport link without excessive station facility charges, unlike Sydney and Brisbane. Its also good to see a continued commitment to priority bus lanes, despite the recent political pressure/lobbying from the RAA.

Another interesting detail I saw was hard shoulder running on the South Eastern Freeway.

And yeah I think running tram all the way to outer harbor is pushing it too. At the very least it would need to be combined with tram prioritization at traffic lights for the on-street segments, and perhaps the removal of some stations to speed up the serviice.

Finally, looking at the maps, it seems that there is a large corridor of suburbs that gets essentially nothing and will remain a car-dependent zone regardless - the outer south west suburbs for which the coastal-hugging train line is too far, eg happy valley, flagstaff hill, aberfoyle park, reynella, morphett vale, hackham, etc.
The only way I can see this happening is for buses from these suburbs(with support of Bus Lanes and Bus Priority traffic lights) feeding into a Tonsley Bus/Rail/Bus interchange with fast /frequent express services to/from City in peak hours.
Last edited by bay transit on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#11 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

They forgot about the tram/train link to Flinders or guess that's off the radar now that the Libs are pushing it.

I like the plan though my preference would be to have the East/West tram going down Wakefield/Grote street as there's better connections mid city. It doesn't make sense to have it going down Currie/Pirie and its just a short walk from the Nth Tce tram...so why bother... theyre massing too much transport on the top of the city...concentrate on the middle!

I do like the Henley Beach road tram route to the airport though.

And definite yes for international train terminal at Adelaide Railway station.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by muzzamo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:53 pm

bay transit wrote:The only way I can see this happening is for buses from these suburbs(with support of Bus Lanes and Bus Priority traffic lights) feeding into a Tonsley Bus/Rail/Bus interchange with fast /frequent express services to/from City in peak hours.
In terms of pie-in-the-sky planning, they could extend the tonsley line up the hill, through glenthorne farm (the sheep won't mind), then connect to the 20km or so of disused rail corridor at panatalinga road. But this document is supposed to be about pie-in-the-sky planning. I guess the population and projected growth doesn't come anywhere near the billion or 3 that would be required for this sort of infrastructure.

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Nathan wrote:One interesting thing is the elimination of the Outer Harbour rail line entirely, to be replaced by tram. Is it just me, or is that pushing it as far as length of a tram line goes?
If trams are going to run on part of it, it's only logical that they should completely replace trains on all of that line. Tram-trains have a lot of complications and while they're good for small cities they're not compatible with the intensive services Adelaide will need in the future. The line itself is not too long for a tram line, but journey times will be a problem; not an insurmountable problem, but a problem that needs to be addressed. Possible solutions include a third track through Bowden and Croydon (enabling fast trains to overtake slow ones) and another route into the City from Bowden.
Guess that solves the Torrens Junction project, although as a future Bowden resident, I'd prefer the existing plan of undergrounding the rail line.
It solves the mystery of why the government have ignored the Torrens Junction project recently. But considering how slow the trams are down the middle of Port Road, I'd only regard it as a temporary solution. Still, anything that removes the need for long closures is a good thing IMO.
The city tram loop we've seen before, but it still looks odd to me. I guess with Adelaide's layout, it just throws me off by not being symmetrical.
The more I think about their chosen route the less I like it. The same goes for the E-W tram routes, and I very much dislike the route they favour for an underground railway. On the plus side, I'm pleased about the amount of tramway construction they're proposing.
The one thing I do think is missing though is completion of the city ring road by continuing Port Rd south along the western edge of the parkland to Anzac Hwy/Greenhill Rd. This would ease traffic on West Tce which could go through a lane reduction and eliminate that massive barrier between the city and the western parklands. It's been something recommended in a number of reports.
Are you suggesting a completely new road? Or merely the realignment of the southern end of Railway Terrace?

I see several things missing from the rural and remote parts of the state - ’tis disappointing not to see Iron Road project excluded. And it seems quite anomalous to include sealing the Strezlecki Track but not the Birdsville Track.

The return of interstate trains to the Adelaide station is something I expect will get dropped as impractical, and if they'd realised just how impractical it is then I seriously wonder if they would have removed Keswick station.

And it's very disappointing that the Adelaide Hills Freight Bypass railway isn't included.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#14 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm

monotonehell wrote:I thought you were a designer? Symmetry is death! :banana:
Ha! Depends on the situation, sometimes symmetry is useful and other times you need to break it. In this case I'm thinking of an easy to understand and predictable route, especially considering the CBD's grid layout (disregarding east of Hutt St). They'd have to reconsider Frome St too, since that's going to be the councils main North/South separated bike route.

Something along these lines:
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 4.03.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 4.03.52 PM.png (342.66 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 4.01.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 4.01.56 PM.png (344.54 KiB) Viewed 9827 times

Nathan

#15 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Aidan wrote:
Are you suggesting a completely new road? Or merely the realignment of the southern end of Railway Terrace?
Completely new road, running parallel to the rail line returning West Tce as a city terrace instead of the multi-lane hell it is now, as proposed in these studies:
http://timhortonblog.files.wordpress.co ... s-west.pdf
http://5000plus.net.au/asset/f432/1285
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/asse ... itects.pdf