PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: PRO: 30-year Transport Plan PRO | $36b

#46 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I think a tram network [using up at least 2 lanes] down Unley Rd, Henley Beach Rd, The Parade , Prospect Rd etc would work a lot better if cars can share the same road as the trams [like Jetty Rd Glenelg] yet in Adelaide they seem now to be built with there own exclusive lanes...any reason why?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by Phantom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I think we've all forgotten to liken this to MATS and ask for a massive turnpike at Hindmarsh! :P

I really don't know what to think of this! It sounds awesome and a lot of the work needs to be done, but as was said before, if the Libs get into power, what pre-election promises will they make and will they be comparative to what Cptn Weatherill and co. have announced? I really do hope they can come up with something that shows just as much foresight.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Phantom wrote:I think we've all forgotten to liken this to MATS and ask for a massive turnpike at Hindmarsh! :P

I really don't know what to think of this! It sounds awesome and a lot of the work needs to be done, but as was said before, if the Libs get into power, what pre-election promises will they make and will they be comparative to what Cptn Weatherill and co. have announced? I really do hope they can come up with something that shows just as much foresight.
The Liberals plan is to establish Infrastructure SA, which will more than likely recommend a large portion of what has already been proposed by Labor. It will just ensure that the projects which have a good cost-benefit ratio (CBR) and higher priority gets done first, and allow projects with a lower CBR to accumulate a better CBR over time.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#49 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:38 pm

how good is he wrote:I think a tram network [using up at least 2 lanes] down Unley Rd, Henley Beach Rd, The Parade , Prospect Rd etc would work a lot better if cars can share the same road as the trams [like Jetty Rd Glenelg] yet in Adelaide they seem now to be built with there own exclusive lanes...any reason why?
Cars sharing lanes with trams might be better for the cars, but it certainly isn't better for the trams, as they get stuck in traffic. And if stepfree access is needed, fewer options are available for stops.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:40 pm

how good is he wrote:I think a tram network [using up at least 2 lanes] down Unley Rd, Henley Beach Rd, The Parade , Prospect Rd etc would work a lot better if cars can share the same road as the trams [like Jetty Rd Glenelg] yet in Adelaide they seem now to be built with there own exclusive lanes...any reason why?
Because trams that have to share the street with cars suffer from delays and bunching and are just as bad as buses. If you're not going to give them a reserve then you may as well use buses as they are more flexible in those circumstances. (This isn't just an opinion, I have references I can cite.)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by bay transit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Melbourne has many roads that are just as narrow or in some cases even narrower than ours,so that should not be an impediment,mind you the chances of these plans getting off the ground are very slim.

Aidan

#52 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Nathan wrote:Here's the full policy document: http://www.premier.sa.gov.au/strongersa ... nsport.pdf

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_sxRi23wu0

And a grab of the CBD map:
building_a_stronger_sa--transport-22.jpg
Just seen the video and am surprised by a couple of its features which the full policy document did not mention.
The first is the shorter Northern Connector - the pdf shows it full length. The second is an underground O-bahn extension to the City - I'd very much approve of that if it ran direct, but the video shows it as following the road route - what's the point of that??
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rubberman

#53 Post by rubberman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm

bay transit wrote:Melbourne has many roads that are just as narrow or in some cases even narrower than ours,so that should not be an impediment,mind you the chances of these plans getting off the ground are very slim.
Yes, but the travel times in those streets are abysmal. If there were not trams there already, they would be better off with buses.

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by bay transit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Buses would be even slower!

Nathan

#55 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Aidan wrote:The second is an underground O-bahn extension to the City - I'd very much approve of that if it ran direct, but the video shows it as following the road route - what's the point of that??
Easy of construction? Would be much easier to go under the road corridor then cutting beneath the botanic gardens. Not as much excuse for Rundle Rd though. Personally I think they should close Rundle Rd to traffic (have it as a grand walkway, with cycle access), and use the old tram ridge through Rymill Park for the new trams, and run the O-Bahn along there as well, eliminating the left right weave on East Tce for both buses and trams. Car traffic can use Botanic Rd and Bartels Rd.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Nathan wrote:
Aidan wrote:The second is an underground O-bahn extension to the City - I'd very much approve of that if it ran direct, but the video shows it as following the road route - what's the point of that??
Easy of construction? Would be much easier to go under the road corridor then cutting beneath the botanic gardens. Not as much excuse for Rundle Rd though. Personally I think they should close Rundle Rd to traffic (have it as a grand walkway, with cycle access), and use the old tram ridge through Rymill Park for the new trams, and run the O-Bahn along there as well, eliminating the left right weave on East Tce for both buses and trams. Car traffic can use Botanic Rd and Bartels Rd.
+1
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rubberman

#57 Post by rubberman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:02 pm

bay transit wrote:Buses would be even slower!
On what basis do you say that?

Perhaps you might like to look at what happens on Jetty Road...then translate that to Prospect Road.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Phantom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The Liberals plan is to establish Infrastructure SA, which will more than likely recommend a large portion of what has already been proposed by Labor. It will just ensure that the projects which have a good cost-benefit ratio (CBR) and higher priority gets done first, and allow projects with a lower CBR to accumulate a better CBR over time.
That doesn't actually sound that bad! I'm glad their policy is quite similar. Once again, Shuz saves the day. :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Aidan

#59 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
Easy of construction? Would be much easier to go under the road corridor then cutting beneath the botanic gardens.
If ease of construction's the prime consideration then why go into tunnel in the first place?

And I wasn't suggesting cutting beneath the botanic gardens! The best tunnel route IMO would be between War Memorial Drive and Mackinnon Parade, and the second best route would be beneath Botanic Drive and the northern side of Botanic Park.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Aidan wrote:
Nathan wrote:Here's the full policy document: http://www.premier.sa.gov.au/strongersa ... nsport.pdf

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_sxRi23wu0

And a grab of the CBD map:
building_a_stronger_sa--transport-22.jpg
Just seen the video and am surprised by a couple of its features which the full policy document did not mention.
The first is the shorter Northern Connector - the pdf shows it full length. The second is an underground O-bahn extension to the City - I'd very much approve of that if it ran direct, but the video shows it as following the road route - what's the point of that??
I think this must surely be a mistake in the video. If you look at the original shot of the N/S corridor in the video (0:20), it appears to show the Northern Connector continuing all the way to the Northern Expressway unlike the close up later on which stops at Port Wakefield Road.

Do people think this shortened version would be a viable solution?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation