Toll Roads in Adelaide

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#16 Post by Ben » Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm

Why not just put funding into hover cars and turn all the roads into open space parks. hahahaha

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:36 am

Yes exactly, tollways and PT go hand in hand, some need to use one, and some need to use the other.

u reckon a cabby or a courier would go for a better PT system? i doubt it, I think they would prefer a motorway to take heavy traffic off main roads. Even just people in general who want to go for a drive at 5pm somewhere and get stuck in bad traffic would prefer this.

As for PT, I know a lot of people who will like better PT and the gov should look into providing easier access to anywhere by providing heavy rail/o-bahn to spread in all directions from the cbd, with buses used only to get people to the heavy rail, and only inner suburban buses traveling into the city. I cant see why the hell a bus has to come into the city from Elizabeth, and noarlunga, when a train does the same job a lot quicker. It just creates more traffic for no reason.
That same bus could be bringing people to the Elizabeth/Noarlunga station instead.

Any suggestions on this

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by shuza » Thu May 31, 2007 9:49 am

Yeah I agree with you there, I have always found it stupid why 2 modes of PT serve the one destination, when one clearly has a faster travel time.
I think what Adelaide's PT system needs to be transformed into, is a system where heavy rail is used for the outer major centres (Elizabeth, Noarlunga, Port Adelaide, Modbury, Mount Barker) and then buses service these surrounding areas to bring people to the trains which take them into the city. The inner city areas should be serviced by a tram network. The only negative of this idea, is to convieniently establish a connection between the tram and bus networks for those on the fringes of the the two.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Investors want state to consider road tolls

#19 Post by rhino » Thu May 31, 2007 1:28 pm

It pains me to read posts about rail to Mount Barker. This is never going to happen and never should. Have a look at the route - it is never going to be time-competitive with busses, even if the metro system does get standard-gauged, and therefore no-one would use it except for the occasional ride for the sake of it. It will never pay for itself or even come close. It will be a huge expensive white elephant. LEAVE IT ALONE!

Now someone is going to say the route should be re-aligned. Think about where that re-alignment would be. If you say "a more direct route between Mount Barker and Adelaide" I will slap you. Trains need mild gradients, that is why the route is where it is. Would you spen 1.5 hours on a train to avoid a 40 minute bus trip, twice a day?
cheers,
Rhino

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Would you use tolled roads??

#20 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:03 am

Just curious about everyones opinions on the issue at hand here.

Id personally like to see major north-south links become tolled to provide fast and effective movement around the metro areas.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Would you use tolled roads??

#21 Post by AG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:12 am

In general I'm all for toll roads, but I suppose it depends on how the system would be tolled as well. If it's a fixed toll which is an absolute ripoff for a short distance like the Cross City Tunnel in Sydney I wouldn't use it, but if it was charged by distance at a reasonable rate I probably would use it (assuming it helps me get to where I need to go quickly).

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by rhino » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 am

I don't believe South Road should be a toll road. It's part of Light's original arterial road system. If a new north-south Controlled Access Road is built, that is the one that could be a toll road. If a toll is placed on South Road, it's a dangerous precedent. Tolls could be placed on any arterial road the government sees fit.

In another thread I suggested the option of tolls for cars on a North-South expressway, but free use for trucks and public transport (including taxis). This would take a lot of trucks off the other arterial roads, making them safer and allowing traffic to flow better, and also go some way towards avoiding the new North South Expressway becoming a clogged up carpark.
cheers,
Rhino

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am

South Road, and possibly Portrush Road are the only two major north-south links that can be decently upgraded to expressway standards. Due to Portrush Road being in a location of wealthy, rich people (Burnside and surrounds) I don't think any goverment will want to challenge them as it will cost them votes. [Goverment currency is votes, not money] South Road is the only link left, and with land acquisition already achieved at the Anzac Hwy, and Port/Grange Road intersections, the Goverment will only see fit to do so to the rest of the road. If South Road ever did emerge to become a expressway of freeway standards, I would imagine the road would be travelled along, that looks like one of Dallas freeways, the I-75 - where the road is submerged into the ground, and all of the main arterials crossing it remain on ground level.

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#24 Post by toby1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 am

I have voted no, because I tend not to drive anywhere unless I have to. So when I am behind the wheel I am not really bothered by waiting an extra few minutes if traffic is bad. I can see that those who use roads like South rd every day during peak hour would certainly consider paying for the privilege of smoother flowing traffic - if that is actually what is delivered. I would hope that if tolls are to be charged then there is a good reason to use the tolled roads - such as smoother road surface and faster travel time, etc.

I do think that the idea of charging some vehicles (like personal cars with no passengers!!) and not others has benefits but of course becomes more difficult to implement

I am a cyclist and would pay to use some dedicated cycle tracks for commuting, but i think thats unlikely :)
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:27 pm

momentkiller: Why repeat the mistakes of the US cities?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Enlighten me about whats bad about the method that I proposed above.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by bdm » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:39 pm

We should have tolled roads built for freight and cross-city transport.

The toll freeways should be designed for this, and not made in any way for commuters.

So, yes, toll freeways, assuming they are not for commuters and the tolls are fair.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:42 pm

I'd support and use a toll road to goto gawler from the city, or city to victor.

urban
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by urban » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

The picture posted by momentkiller shows everything that is wrong with car dominated traffic solutions

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:34 pm

Well I see them working well in Syd Melb and Brissy so I cant see why they would not work here.

If say south road were to be tolled, Id like to see 6 lanes of 80-90km/h grade seperated road linking the salisbury highway to southern expressway which IMO should be dual carriageway.

This should ease the frustration for people who have to drive cross city routes on a regular basis.

There will be people who will not want to pay, that is happening atm in cities that do have tolled roads.