Toll Roads in Adelaide

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Would you use tolled roads??

#31 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Sorry did you just say the roads in Sydney work well?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 pm

AtD wrote:Sorry did you just say the roads in Sydney work well?
Well for a city with 4 times the population and higher use of PT usage id say they are doing not too bad.... Besides i said that tolled roads are releaving pressure off sydneys traffic, not that they have a flawless road network. Could you image sydney with no motorways like what we have???

It takes me the same amount of time to drive to the city as someone i know that lives in sydney the same distance away from me. Even less time when there is no traffic on the road.

Sydney has bad traffic, but I woudnt say ours is any better in various places, and for our size and expecting a pop boom soon due to resources, good time to act id say.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:41 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Well I see them working well in Syd Melb and Brissy so I cant see why they would not work here.
As far as I know, the only toll road up here in Brissy is the Gateway bridge - the fastest of only a few river crossings. Of course, there is the North-South Bypass Tunnel, but I don't think that's going to be done until 2012. They did a song and dance about finishing construction of the first boring machine the other day. Largest in the world at 4000 tonnes, 250m long, 13m diameter and capable of boring 20m/day! The tunnel will run about 50m under this apartment building too!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by omada » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:56 pm

Yes I would use tolled roads, if we are to fund further massive capital infrastructure, we can't rely solely on government funding..

However, as previous people have mentioned, South Road should never be a toll road, it simply wouldn't be fair to commuters who have no option but to use that road for their everyday travels.. maybe use a toll to convert the southern expressway into more than just a single direction road?? Would that be a viable option?

BTW - my first post!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 pm

omada wrote: a toll road ... wouldn't be fair to commuters...
A freeway wouldn't be fair for taxpayers who will have to shell out $2b so commuters can save 10 minutes each morning.

A freeway wouldn't be fair to the environment, which will have to handle more smog, more urban sprawl, more SUVs with no passengers.

A freeway wouldn't be fair to public transport users, who don't receive a single cent of federal funding.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by stelaras » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:47 pm

can a freeway be a tollway??? doesnt the fact that this road has a toll attached to it mean that it is not free!......hehehehehhehehhehehe

In all cities freeway's do not cost you money to travel on and are designated with a green sign and a toll way is road which incurs a cost and is designated by a blue sign..

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:58 pm

Yes, yes, thank you. :P He said tolls were unfair, I said no tolls is unfair.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:14 pm

omada wrote:Yes I would use tolled roads, if we are to fund further massive capital infrastructure, we can't rely solely on government funding..

However, as previous people have mentioned, South Road should never be a toll road, it simply wouldn't be fair to commuters who have no option but to use that road for their everyday travels.. maybe use a toll to convert the southern expressway into more than just a single direction road?? Would that be a viable option?

BTW - my first post!
What is not fair is that to travel long distances around the metro area takes us forever!

A good freeway system will benefit regular commuters on the fringe suburbs to the city and those who regularly commute cross city.

If we need to toll some of these roads then so be it!

If people do not want to pay tolls, then there are alternate routes im sure you will be able to travel along.

Maybe as this will push the costs of commuting to the city by car, more people will start thinking of PT as an option for getting to the city for work? any thoughts on that??

BTW welcome to the forums omada!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by Shuz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Wasn't the Southern Expressway considered to be tolled if it was duplicated? I would oppose such a move, because that does little justice for all the commuters in the southern suburbs who would now pay to travel to work on a road that previously was free. It makes little sense to provide no extra quality of the original expressway - which would simultaneously be mirrored in its image for the other direction.
The only practical solution to duplicating the Southern Expressway with tolls would be to widen it an extra lane at both sections - aka 4x4 (stage 1) 3x3 (stage 2) and have flyovers on the transfer from MSR to the expressway so there is no waiting at traffic lights. Freeway-standard At-grade intersections particulary the Noarlunga offramp provides that extra quality, that makes it deserving to accomodate tolls.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah that would definately be needed for the south.

However I would think the gov should think about making south xpressway dual carriage along with a north-south linked freeway. Once it does that, it should be tolled from marion to croyden only. Tolling it outside those areas would not go down to well too many people.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by stelaras » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:22 pm

building tollways NEVER goes down well with most of the population especially if it is being proposed within 5 minutes drive to an on-ramp,because they believe they pay enough taxes to be able to drive on decent, wide pothole free, freeways and roads...So, they kick and scream and put up banners and do everything in their power to stop them...

However, when their cries fail and the tollway gets built and miraculously, their property gains in value by 100% (becuase a freeway/tollway) is within sight, they never seem to complain about the money they pocketed!!!

This is the melbourne experience where any home within a freeway or tollway is all of a sudden prime location!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:51 pm

I belive living 5 min from a super fast freeway is just as advantageous as living next door to a major PT interchange.

I like to see the publics reaction when it gets announced that south road will be tolled!! will be amusing, considering it is a first for adelaide!!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm

In my case, I would be living less than a minute away from the freeway, and I'm supportive of it - lol.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by AtD » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:54 am

Heh, and in contrast, this proposal would remove every set of lights between my house and my work except two, and I'm against it! Crazy lot we are. :lol:

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by bdm » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Why not have a... separated freeway (collector / express)--like they do in some US and Canadian cities? Two lanes of the freeway to be used for city access (tolled), and two lanes to be used as a cross-city bypass (untolled)--assuming it's four-lane each direction.

The city access lanes have exits / entries from Marion to Croydon, while the bypass lanes (separated by barriers) on the 'inner' do not. At each 'end', the lanes converge to become one four-lane freeway again, and then break up into the Salisbury Highway / PRExpressway at the northern end, and SExpressway / Main South Road at the southern end.