Toll Roads in Adelaide

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Would you use tolled roads??

#46 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Well bdm it seems the way they are goin with these underpasses, id say this is how it will turn out.

Sydney has this style with the eastern distributor linking the city-links to the M5 via the airport.

The 2 inner lanes run at a faster speed and go through underpasses etc, and the outside lanes run at 60km/h and have access to side streets and intersections etc.

Seeing that our underpasses that are being built are 4 laners, this might be our viable option.

If we were to toll any part of south road, we should stick to the RAA plan and privately fund and toll that 6km tunnell they had proposed between croyden and kurralta park. However we need to make sure there is good access to the old south road in hindmarsh.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by bdm » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:35 pm

I'd expect the "outer lanes" to be 80-100km/h depending on the congestion of the area (or even having speed-adjustable signage), while the "inner lanes" would be 110km/h the whole way.

The point of the collector-express system would be to penalise commuters (or simply make them pay for their journey), while making the bypass road still good for freight and cross-city traffic.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by AtD » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:25 pm

110? Not that I disagree with you, but it's probably not going to happen. The Port River Exy is only 90. I remember being on one in Sydney that was signed as 60. It's because people tailgate like crazy, and Adelaide's the worst for it!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#49 Post by Shuz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:48 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote: Seeing that our underpasses that are being built are 4 laners, this might be our viable option.
The underpasses are only 2 lanes each way.

This system wouldn't work very well if there are only 2 lanes each way, meaning only 1 lane is reserved for city access and the other lane for cross-city access. It will only create more congestion.
You need 4 lanes minimum each way for an effective system of that sort to be implemented.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:35 pm

momentkiller wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote: Seeing that our underpasses that are being built are 4 laners, this might be our viable option.

This system wouldn't work very well if there are only 2 lanes each way, meaning only 1 lane is reserved for city access and the other lane for cross-city access. It will only create more congestion.
You need 4 lanes minimum each way for an effective system of that sort to be implemented.
By saying 4 laner...i mean 2 lanes one way and 2 lanes the other way.

South Road is currently 4 lanes in the inner metro, and they are building (and have built) under/overpasses that are only 4 lanes. We could continue making them 4 laners. However we could also add 2 extra local access lanes to south road such that when you reach a major intersection, the current 4 inside lanes continue under the intersection at high speed and the outside lanes exit onto the intersection.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#51 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:17 am

momentkiller wrote:
Thats what he said, a 4 lane underpass equals 2 each way

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#52 Post by Shuz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:50 am

I posted something last night about that... wonder wherer my post went?

Depends how you percieve it. If someone says 3 lanes, I interpret in 'each direction', not for the total - which is what some of you do. It creates misunderstanding at times - but Im not reverting!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#53 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:40 pm

Yeah i know what you mean about the misunderstanding the amount of lanes.
and i was replying to you missing post wherever it is lol

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by Brando » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 pm

I have in the past and will in the future... as i have said they are inevitable.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Cruise » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:25 pm

It depends on the price, lets say for arguements sake i spend $20 in fuel to travel from gawler to noarlunga every day, if the toll way will save me $8 in fuel a day i wouldnt mind paying that as a toll, but if the toll was higher than the fuel saving, ill find an altertate route.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by bdm » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Should be a flat toll ($5?) for use of the collector ("outer") lanes.

This idea is genius; should contact the govt. already!

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by stelaras » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:13 am

My experience with the toll roads that i drive through are that they are sectional...

That is, travelling a full section will cost a pre-determined cost (lets say $12) however, travelling 1 third of the section will cost a third of that. That way you don't end up spending a the full price and only using a portion of the tollway.

Im guessing if south road becomes a tollway, something like that will be in place.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#58 Post by Adamo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:01 pm

I will only be for tolls if its prime basis is to promote public transport and cycling.

However why do so many people drive cars? our public transport system is still very in adequate especially to the southern areas out of the CBD and metro areas.

I don't think tolled roads would solve much a problem because commuters will still drive there cars and pay the toll, since public transport is in adequate and inconvenient
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#59 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:28 pm

So Adamo - is public transport adequate or not? You say it is, then you say it isn't. :?
cheers,
Rhino

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#60 Post by Adamo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:26 pm

sorry in the first statement, i meant that it was not adequate, since there are not many services to the south
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against