Hanson to Holbrooks Corridor Views

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
LisaAdam
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Hanson to Holbrooks Corridor Views

#1 Post by LisaAdam » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Good Afternoon all!

Back some years ago there was a plan for a Hanson to Holbrooks corridor.

A section of this that I am interested in for anyone who has insight or advice is the Marion Rd/Hoolbrooks Road connector.

Although i have been advised this plan is 'dormant' as the focus is South Road and how effective that will be on traffic etc, will this occur in people's opinion as I have recently purchased in the vicinity of this connecting road.

If it is constructed potentially my place will be facing the main rd, or a court/cul-de-sac would be created as i am some 35 metres potentially away from this main road construction as it goes through part of the house across from me.

We were to build our 'dream' home there and now im second guessing this decision due to uncovering this hanson-holbrooks corridor.

Anyone with insight?!

Thanks!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Hanson to Holbrooks Corridor Views

#2 Post by Wayno » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:22 pm

That corridor was originally planned decades ago. Last I heard was back in 2006 when the SA Freight Council were lobbying for it to be built. Here's some references:

2003: http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... tDec03.pdf. See section 2.1

2005: http://www.raa.com.au/documents/state-budget-2005-06. Appendix 2

2006: http://www.safreightcouncil.com.au/SAFC ... -Mar06.pdf. 4th point in the exec summary.

My personal opinion is it will happen, but not for a looong time. Too many other budget priorities coupled with a significant lack of cash.

Cheers...

Wayne
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm

LisaAdam wrote:Good Afternoon all!

Back some years ago there was a plan for a Hanson to Holbrooks corridor.

A section of this that I am interested in for anyone who has insight or advice is the Marion Rd/Hoolbrooks Road connector.

Although i have been advised this plan is 'dormant' as the focus is South Road and how effective that will be on traffic etc, will this occur in people's opinion as I have recently purchased in the vicinity of this connecting road.

If it is constructed potentially my place will be facing the main rd, or a court/cul-de-sac would be created as i am some 35 metres potentially away from this main road construction as it goes through part of the house across from me.

We were to build our 'dream' home there and now im second guessing this decision due to uncovering this hanson-holbrooks corridor.

Anyone with insight?!

Thanks!
Although I have heard about the plan, and seen it depicted on a (small scale) map, I was unaware it had ever even reached the route selection stage. Where did you find the details?

IMO it's a good idea, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will go ahead, or that if it does it will stick to the planned route (which i would be interested in seeing). However I think it is safe to say that if it's constructed it is likely to include noisewalls.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

LisaAdam
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by LisaAdam » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am

Thank you all for your comments.

I have seen the documents wayne put up and I have further been sent this document I have attached showing a 'rough' plan of the road to be constructed. I got this from the West Torrens Council.

I have also spoken to State Gvt as this is a state initiative and they told me the actual road plan they have is a little bit more angled that the one I have attached so as to not impact as many properties. They couldnt actually send me that plan.

They also have no idea if/when it will occur as it has been in the plans for decades now.

It is an overall good idea but see always thought Holbrooks/East avenue would be the priority not that intersection there considering how misaligned the two roads are and would be a significant outlay to buy prooerties to re-align the roads somehow.
Attachments
Doc1.docx
(1014.8 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:12 pm

A slight tangent;

Why are there so many examples of this kind of thing around Adelaide? I can think of countless examples; Daws Rd/Springbank Rd, Edwards St/Raglan Ave, Marion/Holbrooks, where two roads are offset from each other rather than continuing as one corridor.

Why weren't they laid out as continuous corridors originally? Are there currently/were there plans previously to realign some of these roads in order to make them a continuous corridor or have they just been chucked into the too hard/minimal benefit basket?
I can think of a few examples which have already been realigned (Daws/Oaklands, Tapleys Hill/Brighton)
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ChillyPhilly

#6 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 am

A number of properties along David Terrace have been government-owned for years and years. I know that in particular the house on the northern corner of Radstock St and David Terrace is state-owned.

RE: connecting Marion Road and Holbrooks, this makes sense though I can't help but feel that cutting a swathe right through Torrensville and Underdale is a bit over the top and it will have a pretty significant social impact on the local community there. Connecting Holbrooks with East Avenue is obviously a much easier task, just take out the petrol station and it's done.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

LisaAdam
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by LisaAdam » Thu May 01, 2014 7:49 am

Totally right in the points you make SouthAussie94.

Chillyphilly you are spot on as well about the social impacts of the neighbourhood. It involves too many inner suburb properties as opposed to the properties like on south road that were brought out by Gvt or David Terrace. They are on a main road and housing on a main road carries the risk of road extensions etc as opposed to inner suburbia as such. There would definately be a lot of community reaction, myself included.

I believe once south road corridor is complete and people use it more as traffic flows, a lotof bottlenecks in secondary roads like holbrooks etc will be eased. Add in a few projects like east and holbrooks etc might not warrant the need to cut through as in this projects.

Problem is it is all speculations and has been for many years. Whether it happens one day or not will depend on funding of course and the Government of the day! Just wish there was a way to know now so residents could make informed decisions!!

ChillyPhilly

#8 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Initially it would have seemed wise to upgrade the Kilkenny-Marion Road corridor as an alternate north to south route while South Road works were being conducted. Doing that though would have been questionable as many of these roads serve multiple purposes; for example East Avenue through to Holbrooks Road serve residential, industrial and commercial land uses. Marion serves all at once and peak hour along this road is already congested as is.

When the Gallipoli Underpass was constructed, Goodwood Road suffered pretty badly. Goodwood Road is not designed for constant heavy through traffic, so if the Hanson to Holbrooks corridor is upgraded then this issue needs to be considered.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rhino

#9 Post by rhino » Thu May 01, 2014 4:37 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:A slight tangent;

Why are there so many examples of this kind of thing around Adelaide? I can think of countless examples; Daws Rd/Springbank Rd, Edwards St/Raglan Ave, Marion/Holbrooks, where two roads are offset from each other rather than continuing as one corridor.

Why weren't they laid out as continuous corridors originally? Are there currently/were there plans previously to realign some of these roads in order to make them a continuous corridor or have they just been chucked into the too hard/minimal benefit basket?
I can think of a few examples which have already been realigned (Daws/Oaklands, Tapleys Hill/Brighton)
When these main roads were originally surveyed, they were one mile apart, and the allotments between them (they were farm-sized allotments) were a standard size.
Along the River Torrens, the surveyor/s decided it would be a good idea to give as many of the allotments as possible access to the River Torrens for water, but still there was a minimum allotment size, so the road surveys were staggered between Henley Beach Road and Grange Road in the west, and between Payneham/LNE Road and the Main North East Road east of the city, in both cases with the River Torrens running down these corridors.

If you look at a map of Adelaide, you will see that parts of Tapleys Hill Road line up perfectly with Brighton Road, but it wavered around the Torrens, where it probably followed an existing track through Wittunga (the reedbeds - the swamp into which the Torrens used to flow, and which had it's outlet at the Port River).
You will also see that Findon Road lines up perfectly with May Tce at Brooklyn Park, and Morphett Road south of the airport (May Tce used to be Morphett Rd before the airport was built)
Hanson Road aligns with Marion Road.
Days Road aligns with South Road, south of Henley Beach Road. I can remember when South Road terminated at a stop sign at Regency Road.
Churchill Road aligns with Goodwood Road.
Main North Road aligns with Unley Road and Belair Road. Unley Road is unusual in that it has a slight bend in it, but only one - it doesn't re-align itself.
Hampstead Road aligns with Fullarton Road.
Fosters Road aligns with Portrush Road.
Blacks Road aligns with Glynburn Road (the name of which describes it's route from Glynde to Burnside)
Valiant Road aligns with Newton/St Bernards/Penfolds Road.
Reservoir Road aligns with Stradbroke Road.

All these north-south corridors are one mile apart.
I'm not sure why some of the east-west roads don't align.
cheers,
Rhino