[COM] Torrens Junction Underpass

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Torrens Junction Underpass

#196 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:01 pm
Gawler Line returned to service this morning. Trains are still using the old tracks for now, the line shift hasn't happened yet. They are also still building the realigned interstate line.

So what was this shutdown used for? Probably some more piling and capping around the junction where the rail lines are. There might be another Gawler Line shutdown coming in December.
There has been capping work on the retaining walls with handrails fitted between the Port and Gawler lines. The pile drivers were packed up about two weeks ago.

The main work seems to have been the new crossovers on the city side of Torrens Bridge and associated resignalling which extends out to Hawker St. The remaining steel sleepered track on the Port line at the same location has also been replaced. The former Port line span of the Torrens Bridge is also under renovation.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#197 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm

From Wednesday night, showing Bowden Station.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#198 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Anyone else get invited to a tour of the Bowden Station site tomorrow? Seems I've been so annoying with my email questions that it's easier for them to show me around in person :oops: By all accounts there are a few people going - any other SA members invited?

Nathan

#199 Post by Nathan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm
Anyone else get invited to a tour of the Bowden Station site tomorrow? Seems I've been so annoying with my email questions that it's easier for them to show me around in person :oops: By all accounts there are a few people going - any other SA members invited?
I must not have been annoying enough then!

Llessur2002

#200 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm
I must not have been annoying enough then!
There's still time - people *hate* being annoyed on Fridays...

EBG

#201 Post by EBG » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 am

Some pictures from Saturday 21 Oct.. on the Bowden side of Park Tce and on parkland side. Please excuse wire fence in picture.
Attachments
20171021_torrens  2.jpg
20171021_torrens 2.jpg (376.66 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
20171021_torrens 3.jpg
20171021_torrens 3.jpg (436.25 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
20171021_torrens 4.jpg
20171021_torrens 4.jpg (345.21 KiB) Viewed 3945 times

EBG

#202 Post by EBG » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 am

Work on the centre tracks (to become the new Gawler tracks when swapped over) is being done on both sides of the Torrens river bridge. The centre (low truss) bridge appears to have been repainted.
Attachments
20171021_torrens 6.jpg
20171021_torrens 6.jpg (469.27 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
20171021_torrens 5.jpg
20171021_torrens 5.jpg (492.7 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
20171021_torrens 1.jpg
20171021_torrens 1.jpg (573.48 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

Llessur2002

#203 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:13 am

A few photos from the community site visit on Saturday as provided by the Connexion Alliance (photos weren't allowed on the day):

The old Bowden station building. The platform is also heritage listed so will be retained. If you look closely you can see the black fence posts where it will be fenced off from the cutting.

The excavation for the new station. Drainage will be via a large sump that's been installed which will be pumped to the new stormwater drains. An old rubbish pit was found in this area which contained waste from the 1980s and before. The top of the pit contained an assortment of 80s memorabilia including a tie-die jumper, football boots etc. Further down was the shell of an old car and some other interesting stuff.

From memory the little structure you can see in the bottom right corner of the photo will be the control room for the new station. The floor level of this room will be approximately at platform level.

Interestingly, this gap in the bridge deck between the north and south carriageways of Park Terrace is there to reduce the overall length of the covered sections of track to ensure they are not classed as a tunnel, which would mean much more red tape etc would be required in terms of escape stairs, ventilation etc:

Here the cutting is at 8m depth - the finished depth being 11m. The cutting is being done in stages to prevent the need for the crews shotcreting the piles to work at height. The first stage of excavation is done, the piles are cleaned, then shotcreted, then the second stage is done etc. The shotcrete will be the final finish of the piles in this section in an effort to deter graffiti.

Further towards Adelaide - the southern cutting wall in this section will be an embankment, not piles.

Some more pile capping underway.

We also had a talk from the environment/heritage expert on site. Interestingly, in the last few days a tunnel has been uncovered which leads from the hanging room of the Adelaide Gaol underneath the railway tracks and towards the Torrens.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#204 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am

Great and comprehensive update, thanks mate.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#205 Post by Norman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 am

Bowden Station today

Waewick

#206 Post by Waewick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:35 am

Thats a great update,thanks.

Would be interested to know more about this tunnel from the old gaol. I wonder if they will release more information one day.

Llessur2002

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Torrens Junction Underpass

#207 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Waewick wrote:Thats a great update,thanks.

Would be interested to know more about this tunnel from the old gaol. I wonder if they will release more information one day.
I reckon if you email the enquiries address they'd be more than happy to tell you all about it. They were really forthcoming on the tour, very happy to share info. It had only been unearthed a day or so before I visited so I don't think they'd really had time to think about it then, hopefully they've figured a bit more out by now... Let me know if you hear anything interesting!

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#208 Post by mawsonguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Just posted on the ABC website (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-14/t ... ks/9149276):
Train commuters in Adelaide's north-west will have to endure more delays, after the State Government announced the Torrens Rail Junction project completion date has been pushed back by six weeks. The project involves the removal of three level crossings at Park Terrace, Gibson Street and East Street, and the separation of the freight and passenger rail lines. Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan apologised to commuters while announcing the revised date today, and said the decision to change it was only made yesterday. The Outer Harbor and Grange lines will now remain closed until January 15, while a further closure to the Gawler line will occur between Adelaide and Mawson Lakes from November 18 until December 5.

"We apologise for the further inconvenience... it is incredibly regrettable," Mr Mullighan said. "We know that people in the western suburbs have been extremely patient during the course of these works... the people I talk to say they're frustrated with not being able to catch their regular train to work. But they do understand the benefit of this project.

Mr Mullighan said the delayed completion date was agreed on following negotiations with the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC), which operates freight trains on the line. "We only reached an agreement with ARTC as late as yesterday about how we would schedule the remainder of the works about this project," he said. "They operate 1,500-metre-long trains of freight and cargo which are extremely sensitive to these sorts of projects and operations. They need to make sure they have a safe railway system ... [and] they need to make sure they can keep the economy of South Australia... moving by receiving and delivering freight. We've had to work very hard to make sure we can keep their trains running."

No guarantees new deadline will be met, Opposition says

Shadow transport minister David Pisoni said he found it hard to believe that Mr Mullighan had only been told about the six-week delay a day ago.

Mr Pisoni said it was more likely the delay had been caused by the State Government's own mismanagement of the project. "DPTI (Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure) operates in a collection of silos ... it has no formal staged approval processes," he said. "Unfortunately, the people who pay for that are the taxpayers of South Australia and the commuters who use public transport. This is the signs of a tired old government that has lost interest in delivering for South Australians. I don't know that South Australians can be confident that, on the 15th of January, the Outer Harbor line will be up and running."

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#209 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Well the online comments under tomorrow’s article in the Sadvertiser ought to be interesting :-/ I find it personally frustrating as train from Mawson Lakes was how I was planning to attend the Ashes Test match. I suppose the free substitute service will just have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#210 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Nice progress pics from the ABC website.