[COM] Torrens Junction Underpass

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Torrens Junction Underpass

#121 Post by EBG » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

A general view of the restored rail crossing on Park Tce, 24/4/17. See more pictures on previous page.
Attachments
20170424_torrens 5.jpg
20170424_torrens 5.jpg (164.99 KiB) Viewed 4138 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by Norman » Sun May 21, 2017 1:30 am

Latest progress video of the Torrens Junction project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESF5RB361io

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#123 Post by drsmith » Sun May 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Norman wrote:Latest progress video of the Torrens Junction project.

The deviation you mention in the Outer Harbour line near the Junction can be seen in Nearmap's latest image.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#124 Post by PD2/20 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 pm

drsmith wrote:
Norman wrote:Latest progress video of the Torrens Junction project.

The deviation you mention in the Outer Harbour line near the Junction can be seen in Nearmap's latest image.
What is the purpose of the recently built-up and graded areas adjacent to the Port line NW of Torrens Jn including the construction yard in the fork of the junction? They are certainly a recent significant feature in the project visible in Norman's video. Are these the foundations for diversionary tracks? Or are they hard standing for the heavy equipment including pile drivers that will be using the site over the winter months. I would have thought that a next stage of the works would be the piling for the overpass bridge at the junction and the retaining walls for the underpass and Parklands trench. This piling work needs to be completed before the main excavation starts in October.

I assume that the fairly short deviations in the Port and Gawler lines carried out in the Easter closure are to permit the bridge work at the junction. Although the present project is similar to the Goodwood Junction project, there is an important difference. At Goodwood both the Belair and Noarlunga lines were closed for a number of months and only the ARTC line was kept running with minimal interruption alhough it was deviated to allow the underpass bridge deck to be constructed in two stages. At Torrens Jn a additional constraint will be to keep the Gawler line running (for depot access for Belair trains) as well as the ARTC line.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#125 Post by Norman » Sun May 21, 2017 9:16 pm

I too am in the dark about how they are staging it. There is definitely room for a temporary track, but I'm not sure when it will come into play.

One idea I had was the piles could be done now, and then the track deviated once that is done to minimize the time the Bowden Station is closed, given that it will run slightly further north-east to its current alignment. Don't quote me on that though.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#126 Post by Norman » Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Major works will occur over the June long weekend, meaning that the Grange and Outer Harbor lines will be closed and the Gawler Line will only run between Gawler Central and Mawson Lakes.

Details: http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... n_2017.pdf

In short, the Interstate Rail (ARTC) Line will be shifted, the Gibson Street bridge beams will be installed and various underground services will be installed.

There will also be a lot of piling work in the rail corridor, and more steel sleepers will be replaced with concrete sleepers between the junction and Adelaide Station.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#127 Post by PD2/20 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 am

Indication seen yesterday of imminent work at Torrens Jn: pile driver and crane on hard standing in form of ARTC and Port lines.

ChillyPhilly

#128 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:24 am

DPTI have uploaded a new YouTube video showing some of the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YEtwCowy5U
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#129 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Not sure if this one's been posted before but here's the latest(?) artist's impression of the new Bowden Station. Looks a little different in terms of finish (i.e. brick) than the ones used in the original project animation.

(it's a wide one so you might want to right-click and view image to make sure you can see all of it at a decent size).

Latest (June) newsletter is here: http://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... r_v18b.pdf
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nathan

#130 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:44 pm

It looks a bit different than what was in the plans Norman posted back in April. I assume the bridge we can see in the distance is Park Tce, and the pedestrian over bridge on the right. Compared to the plans, it appears the shelters have moved to the Park Tce side of the pedestrian bridge, and that the stairs on the down track near Park Tce have been removed, replaced by a ramp that starts at the pedestrian bridge.
Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 2.39.30 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 2.39.30 pm.png (330.6 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

claybro

#131 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm

I must have missed something in this thread, but what is to become of the historic station building? I admit, I am now completely confused about all the changes to this precinct.

ChillyPhilly

#132 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm

claybro wrote:I must have missed something in this thread, but what is to become of the historic station building? I admit, I am now completely confused about all the changes to this precinct.
Judging by Nathan's map, it looks like it will stay.

Nathan

#133 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Station building, currently Loose Caboose, is staying. There will be a pedestrian bridge connecting it and Station Pl to the Bowden development, replacing access via the underpass and East St level crossing (which will be closed).

claybro

#134 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 pm

So they have moved Bowden station FURTHER from the Ent Cent and Hindmarsh stadium, to the further most corner from the Bowden TOD? Why could they not incorporate a new sunken platform adjacent to the original station building? I think this is a lost opportunity to utilise station place properly and keep the station closer to where people actually need to go.

ChillyPhilly

#135 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 pm

claybro wrote:So they have moved Bowden station FURTHER from the Ent Cent and Hindmarsh stadium, to the further most corner from the Bowden TOD? Why could they not incorporate a new sunken platform adjacent to the original station building? I think this is a lost opportunity to utilise station place properly and keep the station closer to where people actually need to go.
Two reasons it was moved east: new interchangeability with Park Terrace and to maximise the distance between completed tunnel and the bridge over South Road.

Also, there's plenty more of the Bowden Village to be built, with some of the most dense stuff to come south of the realigned station.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.