[VIS] Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#136 Post by Ho Really » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:52 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:43 am
This is what we need for a better Overland:
  • Variable gauge, so that it can drive into ARS and use the Ararat Line
  • Tilt train, so that it can run at greater cant deficiency through the hills
  • Diesel power
Spain has similar requirements to the above, so let's look there. They have the Talgo 250, which looks like the perfect candidate for a better Overland.

https://www.talgo.com/en/rolling-stock/ ... /250-dual/
Yes, I remember this. I would prefer they bit the bullet and standardised, electrified and grade separated the line between Adelaide and Melbourne and turned it into a high speed line with speeds of 200mph (300kph or so). No need for variable gauge and diesel. Very expensive but quick and great for the environment and...sooo satisfying. 8)

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#137 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 pm

The Overland should run from ARS. Use some dual gauge track a
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

The train also has no USB ports, and minimal powerpoints at the end of each carriage by the doors (lucky I stocked up on powerbanks). The train is also painfully slow (especially the Ararat-North Shore leg), with an average speed of just 85km/h. Tuesday I had to take a couple of V/Line V'Locities, with comfier seats, easy access to drinking water on board, and peak speed of 160 km/h.
It's slightly faster to take two trains to Adelaide and the services are timed so that you can do this:
Take VLocity from Melbourne to Ararat and then the Overland from Ararat to Adelaide.

It seems pointless, but the (direct) Ararat line is still broad gauge and the Overland takes the circuitous standard gauge route. Hopefully one day the Ararat line will be converted to standard gauge!
Ah,the gauge issue still rearing its ugly head after 150 years.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#138 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:41 pm

They would need to change the departure time of the Overland as Adelaide Railway Station is almost at capacity in peak hour. Or do that when the CBD underground link is in operation.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#139 Post by Spotto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:41 pm
They would need to change the departure time of the Overland as Adelaide Railway Station is almost at capacity in peak hour. Or do that when the CBD underground link is in operation.
There’s no hope getting The Overland or any regional trains into ARS until the Gawler-Seaford underground link has been built. Will free up a fair amount of capacity.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#140 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:37 am

The other thing about a twice daily Overland is that the trains would be shorter and could fit in ARS without extending the platforms. Currently, interstate trains are too long to fit in ARS.

There's also the question of how ticketing would work for the Overland at ARS. They'd need a separate entrance to the platforms to the suburban trains, since surely having a Metrocard wouldn't be a requirement for riding the Overland.

I don't think this is too difficult, they could remove some of the suburban station barriers, put the Overland ticket checker there and then run barriers between the Overland platform and suburban trains.
Norman wrote:
Even the platforms for the Belair line? It's low frequency, so maybe they can slot in the Overland between Belair trains.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#141 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:39 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Norman wrote:
Even the platforms for the Belair line? It's low frequency, so maybe they can slot in the Overland between Belair trains.
Well, the Belair Line runs at a 15 minute frequency during peak, and the platforms that handle the Belair Line also hold Seaford a line services during peak hour. They make use of platforms 1-4 which are all electrified.

flaneur
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#142 Post by flaneur » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 pm

can't see Adelaide Metro agreeing to have the Overland or any other regional train come into ARS, it's their precious territory, I think the State Government would have to construct the Metro City Loop. At present the currrent Government are fixated with roads although the Hove level Crossing is in the planning and development stages,

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#143 Post by Spotto » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm

flaneur wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 pm
can't see Adelaide Metro agreeing to have the Overland or any other regional train come into ARS, it's their precious territory, I think the State Government would have to construct the Metro City Loop. At present the currrent Government are fixated with roads although the Hove level Crossing is in the planning and development stages,
There’s no room at ARS for additional services. An underground rail link like Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel will be necessary to decrease the number of Gawler and Seaford layovers and free up space at ARS before any new services are added.

I’m glad that level crossings are now getting some attention though, long overdue.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#144 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm
flaneur wrote:
There’s no room at ARS for additional services. An underground rail link like Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel will be necessary to decrease the number of Gawler and Seaford layovers and free up space at ARS before any new services are added.

I’m glad that level crossings are now getting some attention though, long overdue.
The thing with level crossings, is that until all of the major ones are removed, it only benefits car users. The upper limit to frequency on the rail network is level crossings. If they close every 5 minutes for 2 minutes, then motorists complain. We can't run high frequency trains until they are removed.

ChillyPhilly

[VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#145 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:01 pm
flaneur wrote:

The thing with level crossings, is that until all of the major ones are removed, it only benefits car users. The upper limit to frequency on the rail network is level crossings. If they close every 5 minutes for 2 minutes, then motorists complain. We can't run high frequency trains until they are removed.
Oaklands is probably an exception to this - the station, its access and its surrounds are better for it. However, Dwyer Road Reserve remains a wasteland, and metal gates remain locked adjacent the park.

Jury is still out on Bowden, but that judgement can come when development of the area is complete.

Ovingham will be a good test. Based on how the Gawler Line Electrification Project is unfolding, a redeveloped station isn't looking too promising, and I haven't seen it mentioned as part of the level crossing removal either.

Park Terrace in Salisbury will be an interesting challenge. The sooner the Northern Connector freight line is constructed, the better. The line forms a significant barrier to the suburbs along it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#146 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:09 pm

Now that major tunnels in Adelaide are entering the public psyche a little, this momentum must be continued to push the conversation for an inner city rail tunnel.

Adelaide Metro services could utilise a new tunnel with stations at North Terrace (a new one), Hindmarsh Square and Victoria Square. This would then connect with the Seaford/Flinders/Belair lines west of West Terrace Cemetery and north of Adelaide Showground station.

Interstate and restored intrastate regional rail can utilise ARS, thereby allowing the shoddy Parklands terminal to be abandoned. The mooted rail corridors of the North Connector project and GlobeLink plan can be constructed, and these services can utilise this for the most part (particularly freight).

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#147 Post by Spotto » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:09 pm
Now that major tunnels in Adelaide are entering the public psyche a little, this momentum must be continued to push the conversation for an inner city rail tunnel.

Adelaide Metro services could utilise a new tunnel with stations at North Terrace (a new one), Hindmarsh Square and Victoria Square. This would then connect with the Seaford/Flinders/Belair lines west of West Terrace Cemetery and north of Adelaide Showground station.

Interstate and restored intrastate regional rail can utilise ARS, thereby allowing the shoddy Parklands terminal to be abandoned. The mooted rail corridors of the North Connector project and GlobeLink plan can be constructed, and these services can utilise this for the most part (particularly freight).
JBRE’s trains will never return to ARS. The only one that could potentially is The Overland. Please scroll back through this thread for all the various reasons why.

But yes, once a north-south tunnel link is built it will free up capacity for additional suburban and (hopefully) regional services. But they won’t funnel all lines through it, at most Gawler and Seaford, possibly Flinders.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#148 Post by TrebleSketch » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 am

Spotto wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:

JBRE’s trains will never return to ARS. The only one that could potentially is The Overland. Please scroll back through this thread for all the various reasons why.

But yes, once a north-south tunnel link is built it will free up capacity for additional suburban and (hopefully) regional services. But they won’t funnel all lines through it, at most Gawler and Seaford, possibly Flinders.
Having The Overland run via ARS would honestly be a good thing, the bare minimum that should be done. Honestly, I do wonder what the "big transport news" that I've heard about from State Gov, the hopeful in me would be thinking either the return of Regional Rail or maybe the CIty Tunnel. Tho the pessimist would think it might have been the "revised" T2D project...

While it would be awesome to see The Ghan/Indian-Pacific to stop at Platform 1, I don't think they will even be long enough for either's longest configuration. Eh?

ChillyPhilly

#149 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 am

TrebleSketch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 am
Spotto wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

Having The Overland run via ARS would honestly be a good thing, the bare minimum that should be done. Honestly, I do wonder what the "big transport news" that I've heard about from State Gov, the hopeful in me would be thinking either the return of Regional Rail or maybe the CIty Tunnel. Tho the pessimist would think it might have been the "revised" T2D project...

While it would be awesome to see The Ghan/Indian-Pacific to stop at Platform 1, I don't think they will even be long enough for either's longest configuration. Eh?
I believe the 'transport news' is a $100m package for road/rail freight on the Lefevre Peninsula.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#150 Post by TrebleSketch » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:00 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:49 am
TrebleSketch wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 am
Spotto wrote:

I believe the 'transport news' is a $100m package for road/rail freight on the Lefevre Peninsula.
Darn, well that's disappointing to hear. Still, hopefully rail freight will grow much faster than road freight going forward!