SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East End

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East

#31 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:19 pm

I'll run a book on further extension odds. $50 minimum bet.

7/4 for continuation of city loop.
3/1 for link up towards the parade.

8)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:52 pm

how good is he wrote:So my guess is the 3 stops on the median strip prob. where traffic lights are so opp. Gawler Pl/War memorial, Adelaide Uni/Pulteney St and old RAH/Botanic Gdns. So is any future extension likely a right hand turn along East Tce to either Rundle Rd or Bartels (& Flinders St) to the Parade?
Thats what I heard on the news last night:
1.Gawler Place
2.Adelaide University
3.vicinity of old hospital.

No mention was made of the evental route into the Eastern Suburbs. Given the bruhaha over the o-bahn tunnel I'm willing to bet a dedicated RoW through the parklands will be ruled out pretty early on though. :applause:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:59 pm

The tram will go up East Terrace, turn left into Rundle Road and then continue to The Parade

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:31 pm

This is a great first step to secure an extension to the eastern suburbs, but once again the state gov leaves itself wide open to ridicule by not consistently explaining the greater picture. This business of leaving everyone guessing where next just creates problems. $50mil is a small amount in the scheme of things, however, these small extensions in isolation allow the mischief makers at the advertiser etc to run amok with ridicule. Get a cohesive plan together NOW, and explain the vision for a line up The Parade. Explain how this small extension is going to connect to it. Show us PLANS. Explain the value adding of the soon to be vacant RAH site once connected to the city core. Explain how the loop will work and how the western extension will extend along HB road. Show detailed planning, not just glossy pictures and media announcements, and set someone in charge of the overall project. Appoint a marketing person to deal with the media with a consistent message. Properly cost it out, with timelines and funding. I fear even if a federal Labor gov stumped up $500 MIL, the lack of a proper plan would soon see it withdrawn. Only then will the subject of trams proceed with some credibility.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:50 pm

mshagg wrote:Picking up on our discussion about negativity that's currently taking place, I made the mistake of reading the Adelaide now comments on FB.

"Great, more roadworks"
"Fix the roads"
"Spend it on healthcare"

:wallbash:
You forgot..
-great another Tram to nowhere!.......nevermind that the Hindmarsh extension is a huge success..its always got lots of people on it when I ride it. :wallbash: :wallbash:
-but trams are 1800s technology

NB:although myself and a few other true believers are out fighting the good fight against the negative idiots that seem to whine out of habit more than anything.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Wayno wrote:I'll run a book on further extension odds. $50 minimum bet.

8)
What about Henley Beach/Airport next?

Waewick

#37 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 pm

I'm all for trams. But the hindmarsh extension was only justified by a taxpayer funded carpark. Sure extend it to the new RAH but that cash could have got a spur to North Adelaide.

medo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#38 Post by medo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:07 pm

It came as a surprise to me… but nice one. Of course, like others I would like to have more tram routes in the city and out of it. I see this as a good step to break impasse we have had for years.
Of course there are questions waiting for answers like; when and how they will purchase additional trams, which route(s) will be introduced, will trams (finally) have the route numbers and so on.
Once again, I hope this is just the beginning.

Medo

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Waewick wrote:I'm all for trams. But the hindmarsh extension was only justified by a taxpayer funded carpark. Sure extend it to the new RAH but that cash could have got a spur to North Adelaide.
I agree. I'm sure if the gov could turn back time they would have terminated the line at west terrace to allow greater flexibility. Even the new adelink concept doesn't seem to do a lot with it. At least with this project they are keeping their options more open. Thou allowing for "all options" would technically mean terminating west of pulteney or frome roads (so that a city loop or Unley rd line could be done next for example).

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Wayno wrote:I'll run a book on further extension odds. $50 minimum bet.

8)
What about Henley Beach/Airport next?
9/2
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#41 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Waewick wrote:I'm all for trams. But the hindmarsh extension was only justified by a taxpayer funded carpark. Sure extend it to the new RAH but that cash could have got a spur to North Adelaide.
I agree. I'm sure if the gov could turn back time they would have terminated the line at west terrace to allow greater flexibility. Even the new adelink concept doesn't seem to do a lot with it. At least with this project they are keeping their options more open. Thou allowing for "all options" would technically mean terminating west of pulteney or frome roads (so that a city loop or Unley rd line could be done next for example).
If I had a choice. Next would be straight to the Glenside development incorporating Hutt St.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 pm

One of the requirements of the AdelLink network(excluding the purchase of probably up to 50 Light Rail Vehicles) will be the establishment of another depot probably closer to the Central Area of Adelaide.
Whilst Glengowrie still has more stabling room,it would not be practical to use it as a base for all the services proposed. It would probably not have sufficient room to carry out repairs,servicing and maintenance of a large fleet.

Nathan

#43 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:08 pm

adelaide transport wrote:One of the requirements of the AdelLink network(excluding the purchase of probably up to 50 Light Rail Vehicles) will be the establishment of another depot probably closer to the Central Area of Adelaide.
Whilst Glengowrie still has more stabling room,it would not be practical to use it as a base for all the services proposed. It would probably not have sufficient room to carry out repairs,servicing and maintenance of a large fleet.
Once the Airport line is established, maybe in the light industrial area around the north-east corner of the airport?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Waewick wrote:
fishinajar wrote:
If I had a choice. Next would be straight to the Glenside development incorporating Hutt St.
Hutt? Frome IMHO. Hutt would leave to big a gap between KWS. Another line between the two would be a waste of opportunity to double up on frequency. Not to mention cost.

Waewick

#45 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:24 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Waewick wrote:
fishinajar wrote: I agree. I'm sure if the gov could turn back time they would have terminated the line at west terrace to allow greater flexibility. Even the new adelink concept doesn't seem to do a lot with it. At least with this project they are keeping their options more open. Thou allowing for "all options" would technically mean terminating west of pulteney or frome roads (so that a city loop or Unley rd line could be done next for example).
Hutt? Frome IMHO. Hutt would leave to big a gap between KWS. Another line between the two would be a waste of opportunity to double up on frequency. Not to mention cost.
But Frome stops before South Terrace. To me the loop wants to be able to spur out to the burbs.

Not that I am a town planner to be fair.