SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East End

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East

#76 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 pm

timtam20292 wrote:OK but when is the tram extension officially starting?
Construction? Around June 2017.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:31 am

6 months to do an 800m tram extension?

What could possibly take them so long?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

The Scooter Guy

#78 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Norman wrote:
Possibly. But they have to work 'round the clock 24/7 AQAP before next year's xmas pageant.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#79 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:29 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Norman wrote:
Possibly. But they have to work 'round the clock 24/7 AQAP before next year's xmas pageant.
Why? The pageant only uses the section from KWS to David Jones, and it's only on the south side of the road.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:30 pm

With the current Glenelg to Entertainment Centre service requiring 18 trams in peak hours it is felt that probably another 3 vehicles will needed to be purchased to enable a 10 minute service between West and East Terraces,in order for their to be spare/back up trams covering both services.
So far there has been no mention by the Government of any additional purchases. Hopefully the Government doesn't cut the timetable on the existing service to allow it to have sufficient trams for the new service, without the need to purchase additional trams?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:49 pm

The corridor between City West and Hindmarsh is currently overserviced at peak time, I suspect that some will be rerouted to a Glenelg to East End service during peak times, allowing a 10 minute frequency individually and 5 minutes combined between Glenelg and Rundle Mall (where I would say most of the peak traffic is).

Nathan

#82 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Norman wrote:The corridor between City West and Hindmarsh is currently overserviced at peak time, I suspect that some will be rerouted to a Glenelg to East End service during peak times, allowing a 10 minute frequency individually and 5 minutes combined between Glenelg and Rundle Mall (where I would say most of the peak traffic is).
They're not completely packed, but the trams are still reasonably full (some standing) all the way to/from Ent Centre during peak. You get a lot of people getting on/off at the railway station stop.

Llessur2002

#83 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Popped along to the information stall on Rundle Mall this lunchtime and had a chat with one of the project guys there.

My memory is not renowned for being the best but some things that I remember are:

The plans on show at the stall include a full Grand Union Junction at KWS/NT but due to budget it is likely that some take on a half union junction will be the final outcome – probably only outer tracks on the curves to the north to accommodate the routes required. I think this hasty Windows Paint knockup is what he meant:

There is definitely no extension further east possible at this stage but if funds allow then an extension slightly further north along KWS might be incorporated. I asked if this might extend to the Oval but was told definitely not due to the scope of the works which would be required to cross the bridge. Not sure what this would entail in that case – a second stop just south of the bridge maybe to service Elder Park and the Parade Ground? Would take the strain off of the footbridge when the footy's on.

The existing lampposts along North Terrace have been deemed to be up to the job of supporting the overhead wires, although it is likely something else will be installed at the KWS/NT junction.

On a side note, whilst he didn’t confirm one way or another, he also gave the impression that other tram routes would take priority over the Outer Harbor conversion. I got the feeling he suspected it would end up as electrified heavy rail. I also asked if there were any other extensions likely to be announced in the near future (i.e. in the lead up to the election). The answer was ‘nothing that I can tell you about’ which I read as ’yes’.

That was about all I had time for. I completely forgot to ask about planned routes but I’m sure I won’t be the only forum member to pop by today. They're at the eastern end of Rundle Mall until 7pm.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Did they give you a likely start date for construction?

Llessur2002

#85 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:06 pm

timtam20292 wrote:Did they give you a likely start date for construction?
Nope, forgot to ask - but completion is still scheduled for December.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Detailed design is due in March and construction to start in May. Completion in December in line with O-Bahn tunnel opening.

With the grand union, I'll draw up something tonight.

Llessur2002

#87 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Norman wrote:With the grand union, I'll draw up something tonight.
Knew I'd get it wrong Image

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 pm

DPTI have purchased another 3 (secondhand)Citadis 302 LRV's from Madrid(exactly the same as our existing 200 fleet. This will bring the number of Citadis to 9.
The trams are due in late September.DTPI have called tenders for shipment from Madrid to Adelaide.

EBG

#89 Post by EBG » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Why should there be any problem with trams crossing the king William St bridge over the River Torrens .After all it was design for trams and 100's of trams a week crossed it until the end of trams in the late 50's.

bits
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by bits » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 pm

EBG wrote:Why should there be any problem with trams crossing the king William St bridge over the River Torrens .After all it was design for trams and 100's of trams a week crossed it until the end of trams in the late 50's.
I assume engineering of bridge loads etc has come a long way since the 50's (excluding the Tram overpass).
What was acceptable in the 50's might not be now.
Also who is to say the bridge has not changed state since the 50's, it might have deteriorated.