[PRO] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 216 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#166 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 am

So a $40m price tag is too much for something that has already been promised and there is a lot riding on this project going ahead meanwhile the government have promised $98m for an upgrade of the Magill Road/Port Rush Road intersection which is total funding overkill.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 84 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#167 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 am
So a $40m price tag is too much for something that has already been promised and there is a lot riding on this project going ahead meanwhile the government have promised $98m for an upgrade of the Magill Road/Port Rush Road intersection which is total funding overkill.
I have not seen an explanation of why the Magill Road intersection is disproportionately more expensive than any of the other intersection upgrades, nor has it yet been made public what aspect of the Port Adelaide railway spur was so badly underestimated (or completely missed).

Whoever made that mistake is going to keep quiet about it, whichever organisation they work for. Their boss who signed off on it is unlikely to want to expose them either. There would be a few people, possibly in each of PTP, DPTI and government who have VERY red faces.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3999
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 408 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#168 Post by rev » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:43 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 am
So a $40m price tag is too much for something that has already been promised and there is a lot riding on this project going ahead meanwhile the government have promised $98m for an upgrade of the Magill Road/Port Rush Road intersection which is total funding overkill.
I have not seen an explanation of why the Magill Road intersection is disproportionately more expensive than any of the other intersection upgrades, nor has it yet been made public what aspect of the Port Adelaide railway spur was so badly underestimated (or completely missed).

Whoever made that mistake is going to keep quiet about it, whichever organisation they work for. Their boss who signed off on it is unlikely to want to expose them either. There would be a few people, possibly in each of PTP, DPTI and government who have VERY red faces.
PT project by Labor in Labor working class heart land gets cancelled by Liberals, Liberals announce over priced intersection upgrade in eastern suburbs Liberal heart land that will quite possibly give us something not even the oil rich gulf states have, actual gold plated traffic lights with diamond encrusted signals.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 48 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#169 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:41 pm

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 28 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#170 Post by Spotto » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Figures from the budget quoted by the Premier's website:

[*]Ovingham Crossing (Torrens Road) = $231 million
[*]Hove Crossing (Brighton Road) = $171 million
[*]Portrush/Magill Road intersection = $98 million
[*]Fullarton/Cross Road intersection = $61 million
[*]Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road intersection = $60 million
and announced in March,
[*]Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road intersection = $61 million (50-50 split between feds and state)

How can other focus intersection upgrades be projected to cost under $65m while Portrush/Magill costs around one and a half times that much? What's so special about it verus the other projects will deliver similar results?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 160 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#171 Post by Goodsy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 pm
Figures from the budget quoted by the Premier's website:

[*]Ovingham Crossing (Torrens Road) = $231 million
[*]Hove Crossing (Brighton Road) = $171 million
[*]Portrush/Magill Road intersection = $98 million
[*]Fullarton/Cross Road intersection = $61 million
[*]Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road intersection = $60 million
and announced in March,
[*]Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road intersection = $61 million (50-50 split between feds and state)

How can other focus intersection upgrades be projected to cost under $65m while Portrush/Magill costs around one and a half times that much? What's so special about it verus the other projects will deliver similar results?
just spitballing, but might have something to do with the substation on the corner. I imagine service relocations would be a nightmare

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#172 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm

That spur line is/was a typical DPTI white elephant that shafted the NRM. No need for 2 stations within 400m of each other and the NRM lost their tracks. They'd already lost enough after the 1995 conversion.

Those intersection costs though - when you've gotta pay those lollypop workers 70 bucks an hour to stand around, no wonder it costs so much. Shouldn't cost 70 mill just to move some bitumen and concrete around.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 84 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#173 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm
That spur line is/was a typical DPTI white elephant that shafted the NRM. No need for 2 stations within 400m of each other and the NRM lost their tracks. They'd already lost enough after the 1995 conversion.

Those intersection costs though - when you've gotta pay those lollypop workers 70 bucks an hour to stand around, no wonder it costs so much. Shouldn't cost 70 mill just to move some bitumen and concrete around.
I imagine it could make for cheaper staff costs if barriers were erected across the road at the next intersection back in each of the four directions, and work was only done during one shift on weekdays, at standard working hours with no out-of-hours or overtime. The solid barriers mean no lollipop workers required, and it should be done in not much over three times as long. Only working day shift means no hired work lights. Traffic can find an alternate route, or just stay home until the works are over. Lollipop workers are responsible for more than just "stand around".

Bob
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 50 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#174 Post by Bob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 am

The Woodville-Grange branch line will be the next likely target as not viable from some inside the Liberal party.

There will try on an argument that buses do the job and the $$$ required to keep this branch line open are too high.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 118 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#175 Post by PeFe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:34 am

Run Woodville-Grange as a spur line only from the main Outer Harbour line and increase the day time frequency to every 20 minutes......give it some good marketing and see if you can increase passenger numbers.......even with the crappiest run down railway station along the route.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 144 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#176 Post by Nort » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 am

Goodsy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 pm
Spotto wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 pm
Figures from the budget quoted by the Premier's website:

[*]Ovingham Crossing (Torrens Road) = $231 million
[*]Hove Crossing (Brighton Road) = $171 million
[*]Portrush/Magill Road intersection = $98 million
[*]Fullarton/Cross Road intersection = $61 million
[*]Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road intersection = $60 million
and announced in March,
[*]Glen Osmond/Fullarton Road intersection = $61 million (50-50 split between feds and state)

How can other focus intersection upgrades be projected to cost under $65m while Portrush/Magill costs around one and a half times that much? What's so special about it verus the other projects will deliver similar results?
just spitballing, but might have something to do with the substation on the corner. I imagine service relocations would be a nightmare
It's gonna require a decent chunk of property acquisition as well, possibly including commercial properties.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3999
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 408 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#177 Post by rev » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm
Those intersection costs though - when you've gotta pay those lollypop workers 70 bucks an hour to stand around, no wonder it costs so much.
They don't get paid $70/hour.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 48 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#178 Post by how good is he » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 am

Yes Nort thats my only thought for the reason the numbers may seem high is if they include significant resumptions of properties/businesses near the intersections? ie Payout figures to businesses & owners forced to move.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#179 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:04 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am
OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm
Those intersection costs though - when you've gotta pay those lollypop workers 70 bucks an hour to stand around, no wonder it costs so much.
They don't get paid $70/hour.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

whatever they do get paid, its easy money
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 53 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#180 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:48 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am
OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm
Those intersection costs though - when you've gotta pay those lollypop workers 70 bucks an hour to stand around, no wonder it costs so much.
They don't get paid $70/hour.
They'd come pretty close to that on weekends. Pretty standard construction award penalty rates are:

Saturday: 1.5x for the first 3 hours and 2x after 3 hours.
Sunday: 2x all day

Good money for what it is.

Saying that, traffic controllers do have to handle a fair amount of crap from motorists and while it may not be back breaking work, it definitely isn't as easy as it may seem.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests