[COM] Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection Upgrade

#151 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:15 pm

This sounds blizzare, but I'm actually looking forward to this intersection being fixed.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#152 Post by Spotto » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:15 pm
This sounds blizzare, but I'm actually looking forward to this intersection being fixed.
Not bizarre at all. I'm looking forward to it too. All signalised dog-leg intersections on major thoroughfares should be removed.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 pm
Waewick wrote:
Not bizarre at all. I'm looking forward to it too. All signalised dog-leg intersections on major thoroughfares should be removed.
Grange Rd/Holbrooks Rd/East Tce should be next
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by Goodsy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:56 pm
Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 pm
Waewick wrote:
Grange Rd/Holbrooks Rd/East Tce should be next
Also Marion Road/Holbrooks Rd/Henlely Beach Rd

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#155 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:52 am

I don't understand why Edward St/Raglan Avenue hasn't been done. The required land is mostly vacant, and all you're really doing is removing one right hand turn from South Rd.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#156 Post by Vasco » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:33 am

SRW wrote:I don't understand why Edward St/Raglan Avenue hasn't been done. The required land is mostly vacant, and all you're really doing is removing one right hand turn from South Rd.
The Adelaide planning prerequisite is, something has to be built on the vacant land before it’s considered.

In all seriousness tho, not 100% sure as I haven’t been past for a while, but I believe the worse for ware Midas (or like business) on corner of Holbrooks and Grange road was being demolished. Anything looking like going up? *facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#157 Post by muzzamo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 am

SRW wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:52 am
I don't understand why Edward St/Raglan Avenue hasn't been done. The required land is mostly vacant, and all you're really doing is removing one right hand turn from South Rd.
I would have thought this is obvious - this section will, within 10 years*, be replaced/augmented by a new road at enormous expense.

*with COVID, who knows whether work will be brought forward due to trying to stimulate our way out of a depression, or pushed back because the country is broke.

marbles
Gold-Member ;)

#158 Post by marbles » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:05 pm

the petrol station and houses on the north west corner are now gone.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#159 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Photos from last weekend

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#160 Post by kymbosa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:08 pm

First morning of the new intersection.

Lights not fully operating until the weekend. It’s been an interesting build the last few weeks.

Was very happy to see the department listened to the community feedback about the bus lane and removed while the works were taking place. Moved the traffic in morning peak a tad quicker than the first few days in which it was still operational.

Will try and get back down there this weekend to take some pictures.

So glad the Gov listened to the locals community and Labor around doing it right. It still amazes me that Knoll still has this on his webpage... just easy pickings for an opp to use.
Attachments
154432A9-875C-4512-ADF1-24249A4D7489.jpeg

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#161 Post by Furyan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:40 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:08 pm
So glad the Gov listened to the locals community and Labor around doing it right.
A good result in the end. Its just a pity the government had to have its arm twisted to realise it.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by Vasco » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:45 pm

If the electorate wasn’t the most marginal in the state both state / federally I don’t think they would’ve cared tbh (someone who attended community consultation). But yes glad with the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by Spotto » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am

Hopefully both parties will be encouraged to go around and fix more nonsensical dog leg intersections on arterial roads. The main ones down south that come to mind are:
  • South Rd/Raglan Ave/Edward-Ackland St (should reroute Raglan to Ackland before R2P)
  • Cross Rd/Victoria Ave/Hilda Tce (near Unley Park Crossing)
  • Marion Rd/Finniss St/Alawoona Ave (rear entrance to Tonsley)
  • Unley Rd/Arthur St/Oxford Tce (Unley Shopping Centre)
  • Belair Rd/Grange Rd/Newark Rd (near Mitcham Crossing)

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#164 Post by kymbosa » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:48 am

Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am
Hopefully both parties will be encouraged to go around and fix more nonsensical dog leg intersections on arterial roads. The main ones down south that come to mind are:
  • South Rd/Raglan Ave/Edward-Ackland St (should reroute Raglan to Ackland before R2P)
This was meant to be done when Castle Plaza was going to do renovations and extend North.

I still can’t believe that we have those two intersections so close together on South Road.

Remove that and the flow will increase.

I totally agree that this needs to be done, ASAP, it’s a quick fix but won’t happen cause of the North/South development; (if that actually happens).

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#165 Post by SBD » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:46 am

kymbosa wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:48 am
Spotto wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am
This was meant to be done when Castle Plaza was going to do renovations and extend North.

I still can’t believe that we have those two intersections so close together on South Road.

Remove that and the flow will increase.

I totally agree that this needs to be done, ASAP, it’s a quick fix but won’t happen cause of the North/South development; (if that actually happens).
Looking at Google maps and Streetview, it looks like the work at present could be done with the acquisition of one vacant lot to reroute Raglan Avenue north to join Ackland Street halfway between the level crossing and South Road. If more land is needed to widen the Ackland Street side of the intersection, there is a vacant lot on the north side that could have some land cut off. North side of Edward Street looks like an underused private parking area.