[COM] Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection

#76 Post by Norman » Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm

A backflip, but this time a good one. Looks like we're back to a standard intersection for the proposed upgrade.

https://youtu.be/7OM9Y_k7LXI

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by SBD » Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm
A backflip, but this time a good one. Looks like we're back to a standard intersection for the proposed upgrade.

Do you know if that is the same as the original Labor/DPTI plan, or is this a third design, but with features similar to the first one?

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Goodwood/Springbank/Daws Road Intersection

#78 Post by Vasco » Mon May 06, 2019 1:21 pm

As a local resident who has been a part of community/social media platforms in agitation and requesting further justification against the lacklustre Liberal plan. Federal MP Nicolle Flint and State Liberal MPs Duluk/Knoll & to lesser extent Carolyn Power-Habib gave us nothing but complete distain for our concerns.

Recently Stephan Knoll originally postponed and then indefinitely canceled an agreed forum to present m, justify and discuss the preferred option with council, with no justified response.

I suggest the main thing that got this over the line was Nicolle Flint’s wafer thin margin in Boothby and the effect our constant protests were having (in conjunction with the Labor option).

A good outcome, although early announcements have shown a lack of transparency and acknowledgement of their ‘backflip’ and former rusted on position.

In terms of the design, I think it looks roughly similar, although I don’t think the labor design was detailed enough the show the specifics of slip lanes etc. However the angle of the re-alignment could also possibly be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by Brucetiki » Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Norman wrote:

Boothby under that much of a threat?

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#80 Post by greenknight » Wed May 08, 2019 7:39 am

SBD wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 pm
Norman wrote:

Do you know if that is the same as the original Labor/DPTI plan, or is this a third design, but with features similar to the first one?
Looks different, more dedicated turning lanes in liberals plans vs labors, also looks like daws road gets slightly realigned as well not just springbank road (cant tell 100% though from the viz)

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by Vasco » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 am

OVERVIEW - From PCCG posted on their FB last night

“Panorama Clapham Community Group (PCCG) representatives attended the City of Mitcham Chambers tonight to observe the SA Planning, Transport and Infrastructure presentation on the latest 'Alignment' option. Frank Pangallo MLC and Carolyn Power - née Habib MP were also present. Only City of Mitcham Elected Members were permitted to ask questions.

Unlike 'Alignment MkI', the new variant is expected to exit alongside Peter Van The Party Man through 609 Goodwood Rd, Panorama, go through the Caltex Service Station opposite and impact 224,226 & 228 Daws Rd behind that.

PCCG then caught up with SA Planning, Transport and Infrastructure staff outside. PCCG emphasised how important widespread Community Consultation would be to the success of the project and that we wished to be fully engaged throughout the process.

We were saddened to hear the human impact after the meeting when PCCG spokesperson Neil Baron took a call from one of the residents affected.

N.B.
A more DETAILED synopsis of tonight's presentation and PCCG's considered response will be posted in the NEXT FEW DAYS
We need time to think through the implications and assess the official information that SA Planning, Transport and Infrastructure said they will send us.

MORE TO COME”

So gathering, rather than going through a large chunk of Bedford, now to go through the old villa between Peter Van and the possibly edge of Bedford, as well as the servo and houses behind it.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by shiftaling » Wed May 08, 2019 8:44 am

Glad they went with this in the end.

Would seem to be a future-proof solution for Springbank Road with the single lane dividing into two through lanes and two turning lanes.

Not that I have any understanding of the feasibility of upgrades to that road, just that it has always been quite an annoying merge further up near to Belair Road.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by d3v310per » Tue May 28, 2019 9:09 am

Six houses and two businesses including Peter Van the Party Man will be affected by the Springbank Rd upgrade

The party appears over for high-profile business Peter Van the Party Man, which has officially learned it will be sacrificed for a $60 million road intersection upgrade.

The State Government formally advised the popular Panorama business last Friday that it would begin a process to acquire “by negotiation or compulsory process” the company’s 48-year-old property on the corner of Springbank and Goodwood roads at Panorama.

The Government is to realign the junction of Springbank, Daws and Goodwood roads into a four-way intersection, with work expected to begin next year and take two years.

Peter Van the Party Man owner Mark Van said the acquisition notice left him “up in the air”.

“I feel bad for our customers, we are a bit of a landmark,” he said, adding that 14 staff could lose their jobs.

“I’ve just spent $70,000 on a new computer system, I’ve put in a new warehouse out the back … I was planning for expansion and now we’ve been thrown in the deep end.

“It’s not good for the staff … it’s very distressing for them.”

The Daw Park Caltex also received an acquisition letter and a Daws Rd resident told The Advertiser their house and two others would also go for the upgrade.

The paper has also learned the Transport Department would also need to part-acquire a further three houses.

Another Daws Rd resident said the department would need to remove 7m from the footpath to the front of his property.

Repeated requests by The Advertiser to the department for confirmation of the figures were not provided.

A Transport Department spokesman said consultation was ongoing with all affected owners to assist them through the process.

“DPTI has been communicating with the community and stakeholders, including relevant property owners, about the project since it was announced on May 6 and they will continue to be engaged, moving forward,” he said.

“Our priority is to consult with the affected property owners and businesses directly, which has been occurring since the project was announced.”

Caltex Daw Park employee of two years, Gowthan Ginjupalli will lose his job as a result of the acquisition. He said he was concerned about the affect the closure of the petrol station would have on people with a disability who work at the nearby Bedford Group and who frequent the Caltex.

Mr Ginjupalli will also miss the regular customers and relationships formed from his two years’ of working there.

“I’ve got many friends here, they just want to see my smile,” Mr Ginjupalli said.

“I just like to speak with good people … I have no idea what I will do.”

Around 60,000 vehicles travel through the existing intersection daily.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by Spotto » Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 am

The loss of Peter Van is a shame, always useful to pop in for party supplies. But in the internet age, they might not have lasted for much longer. Who knows?

But, that petrol station was vacant land for YEARS until only a couple years ago. I'd love to know whose bright spark idea it was to rebuild it, doesn't take much to guess that the intersection would've been expanded at some point in the future, however distant it might've seemed.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by Eurostar » Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 am

There is an former IGA closeby thats still up for lease

Waewick

#86 Post by Waewick » Tue May 28, 2019 10:46 am

I'm the same boat as others with that caltex, even at the time there was plans for the expansion.

Surely Peter Van can move though?

Good to see this is finally moving though.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#87 Post by Vasco » Tue May 28, 2019 11:27 am

We are also yet to see what will happen of the ex Panorama Tafe site. Rumours were of Kaufland or if any other retail development that would possibly also include specialty shop tenancies.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#88 Post by Brucetiki » Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Another infrastructure project where the media focus is on 'What about me' rather than the overall benefits of the project :roll:

With the compensation Peter Van the Party Man will get for his property, he could easily set up elsewhere. If 14 staff lose their jobs because of the project, that's on him not the project.

Nathan

#89 Post by Nathan » Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm curious about why a party goods store needs a $70,000 computer system, and why it's apparently hardwired to the building.

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#90 Post by Hybrid » Tue May 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 am

But, that petrol station was vacant land for YEARS until only a couple years ago. I'd love to know whose bright spark idea it was to rebuild it, doesn't take much to guess that the intersection would've been expanded at some point in the future, however distant it might've seemed.
The bright spark is the owner. Rebuilt, make money, have land acquired, make more money from acquisition.... Pretty simple.