[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #Completed : Adelaide Airport

#451 Post by Will409 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:09 pm

bm7500 wrote:I believe the story is that the large Teddy was left behind at the Airport some years ago (would be nearly 10 now) and he along with his suitcase were never collected.

The airport staff located him airside and he is said to be waiting there for his owners to pick him up, but he has essentially been adopted now. The airport staff have even given him a name.

When special events are on, he usually gets dressed up for the occasion and he is constantly being moved to different vantage points around the runways.

He has been there that long that the airport staff had to give him a 'facelift' a year or so ago. After all, constantly being blasted by jets would have to take its toll on you! hehe
I was at the airport this morning to see a mate of mine off on holiday. I was retelling this story to them and at first they didn't believe me. That was until I noticed in the corner of my eye 'Ted' sitting on a pushbike next to one of the taxi run ways near the terminal. He was 'just' in my camera's digital zoom range as well so I got a photo of him (although it is quite a poor one).

Off topic but I thought it would be nice to add this little bit extra to the story.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#452 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Will409 wrote:Image
Off topic but I thought it would be nice to add this little bit extra to the story.
i'm amazed "Today Tonight" (or similar) has not done a feel good story on Mr T.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#453 Post by Aidan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Pistol wrote:
Shuz wrote:After my recent flights to and from Melbourne. Tiger are absolutely shit. I will never fly with them again.
Very generalised comment there. Any reason for this hatred. Maybe you didn't get your generic OJ and coffee on a recent flight to Melbourne. Very precious.

C the problem with Australians are they are not used to LCC's yet. They are happy to pay the extremely low airfare but then expect to receive Qantas type service.
Why would they want Qantas type service?
Last December I flew to Sydney and back twice, so tried each of the other 3 domestic airlines. Virgin Blue and Jetstar charged for food. Qantas had food that was free but inedible. And Virgin Blue was the only one of the 3 to have seatback entertainment.

You might have had a point if you'd said Ansett type service, but of course that can be taken two ways...
I think that the curfew is more to open Adelaide up to increased international flights.
From where would it make economic sense to fly Adelaide without the curfew than with?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#454 Post by Aidan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh snore. Birds can fly,
And where large numbers of birds fly, planes are in danger.
I'm sure they can find a new home elsewhere.
No they can't. There's not much high quality bird habitat around.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#455 Post by Shuz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm pretty sure birds aren't blind; there's a whole freaking forest in the Mount Lofty Ranges...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#456 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:01 am

Very 50/50 on this
Pistol wrote:
Shuz wrote:Well for starters; 7kg check in baggage allowance, and then $25 if you're over. If you're a straight male, that'd be fine, but us chicas gotta pay the price just for having a good fashion sense.
So you are one of those that expects the Qantas service. 7kg for cabin baggage and you pay $10 for 15kg of check in baggage. That is the same as Jetstar. When you are only paying $29 to go to Melbourne I am sure that even you Shuz can afford 10 bucks to check some of your hosiery and high heels on.
:lol:

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#457 Post by bm7500 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Firstly guys (and i'm being pedantic here) these topics should be posted here: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 9&start=75

But in regards to the curfew issues, its very simple.

The airport was opened in the 50's, well before most housing near the airport and under the flightpaths was built. If people in these areas dont like the noise, then i suggest they move. The curfew in place (only 2 captital cities in this country still maintain a curfew) is to the detriment of further expansion of both freight and passenger (tourist) services into the state.

International Airlines (and for that matter domestic also) need to schedule all of their Adelaide bound flights around a strictly enforced time window of 6am to 11pm to ensure they fall outside the curfew hours. If an airline was to require a special arrival or departue within curfew hours, they need to apply to the Federal Minister For Transport for special dispensation & even if granted (which is rare) it would be as a 1 off exception. If they were to breach the curfew, they potentially could be fined hundres of thousands of dollars (As Jetstar found out earlier this year).

So given the choice, where an Internaional airline is faced with conforming their operations to meet the strict curfew limitations of an airport which services less than 2 million people Vs serving an airport with 24hr access only an hour away (Melbourne) you can start to understand why they would naturally choose tthe latter option.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Aidan

#458 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Shuz wrote:I'm pretty sure birds aren't blind
So am I.
there's a whole freaking forest in the Mount Lofty Ranges...
Yes there is, but that's of no benefit to waterbirds. It's the wetlands that are the main bird habitat, and they also fulfil a very important environmental function: purifying stormwater, thus reducing pollution levels in the Port River.
bm7500 wrote:Firstly guys (and i'm being pedantic here) these topics should be posted here: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 9&start=75
Isn't that for discussions of what actually is happening at the airport?

The airport was opened in the 50's, well before most housing near the airport and under the flightpaths was built.
A lot of housing under the flightpath was built before the airport. And hasn't the airport always had the curfew?
If people in these areas dont like the noise, then i suggest they move. The curfew in place (only 2 captital cities in this country still maintain a curfew) is to detriment of further expansion of both freight and passenger (tourist) services into the state.

International Airlines (and for that matter domestic also) need to schedule all of their Adelaide bound flights around a strictly enforced time window of 6am to 11pm to ensure they fall outside the curfew hours. If an airline was to require a special arrival or departue within curfew hours, they need to apply to the Federal Minister For Transport for special dispensation & even if granted (which is rare) it would be as a 1 off exception. If they were to breach the curfew, they potentially could be fined hundres of thousands of dollars (As Jetstar found out earlier this year).
But is that time window difficult to schedule for? Has it actually prevented any airline from coming here?
So given the choice, where an Internaional airline is faced with conforming their operations to meet the strict curfew limitations of an airport which services less than 2 million people Vs serving an airport with 24hr access only an hour away (Melbourne) you can start to understand why they would naturally choose tthe latter option.
Adelaide and Melbourne airports aren't really competitors at the moment. Any airline that's choosing between Adelaide and Melbourne is going to choose Melbourne regardless of whether Adelaide has a curfew. This is about whether airlines that already serve Melbourne will find Adelaide worth serving as well.

Nathan

#459 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm

I certainly believe the curfew has a negative impact on international flights to Adelaide Airport. Less so leaving, but more so arriving to the airport. People find it far more preferable to fly out at a normal hour (and arrive in the dead of night), than leave at some ungodly hour just so they can arrive in a window the airport deems acceptable.

Before I moved to the CBD, I lived in Mile End, directly under the flight path. Even though it was quite an old house (so, light on insulation), I had no issues at all with aircraft noise. Flights in the middle of the night wouldn't have disturbed me one little bit. Personally, to those who complain about the noise, either upgrade your obviously rubbish single glaze windows, or toughen up (a lot).

I wouldn't even think about moving the airport either. I see the closeness of the airport to the CBD and inner suburbs as a great advantage to Adelaide. Neglecting the public transport links (it would be great to get a direct tram, as in some of the tram network expansion proposals, to replace the J buses) - where else is it as easy or quick to get to and from the airport from the city centre?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#460 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 pm

i believe Melbourne (Tullamarine) has no curfew and Sydney (CKS) is 11pm to 6am. Not sure about Brisbane, Perth, Tassie.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#461 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Why can't they have the planes coming in from the western approach only between 11pm and 6am, avoiding flying over all the houses altogether during those times?

Aidan

#462 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Norman wrote:Why can't they have the planes coming in from the western approach only between 11pm and 6am, avoiding flying over all the houses altogether during those times?
Because with the wind behind it, it would land faster, so may have to use reverse thrust to stop - and that's very noisy.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#463 Post by bm7500 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 am

Wayno wrote:i believe Melbourne (Tullamarine) has no curfew and Sydney (CKS) is 11pm to 6am. Not sure about Brisbane, Perth, Tassie.
As mentioned in my post above, Adelaide is the only captital city site (other than Sydney) that is not open 24Hrs a day.
Aidan wrote:
Norman wrote:Why can't they have the planes coming in from the western approach only between 11pm and 6am, avoiding flying over all the houses altogether during those times?
Because with the wind behind it, it would land faster, so may have to use reverse thrust to stop - and that's very noisy.
You will find that the few flights that do operate within curfew hours (small freighters & RFDS) are required to take off to the West & likewise, land from the west wherever possible and where the wind direction & speed makes it safe enough to do so. Also, aircraft are prevented from using 'Reverse Thrust' on landing and this alone prevents larger jets and regular passengers services from being able to safely operate within curfew.
Aidan wrote:
bm7500 wrote:Firstly guys (and i'm being pedantic here) these topics should be posted here: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 9&start=75
Isn't that for discussions of what actually is happening at the airport?

The airport was opened in the 50's, well before most housing near the airport and under the flightpaths was built.
A lot of housing under the flightpath was built before the airport. And hasn't the airport always had the curfew?
If people in these areas dont like the noise, then i suggest they move. The curfew in place (only 2 captital cities in this country still maintain a curfew) is to detriment of further expansion of both freight and passenger (tourist) services into the state.

But is that time window difficult to schedule for? Has it actually prevented any airline from coming here?
Over the years several airlines have made it clear to the government and AAL that they would introduce International services to Adelaide if the curfew was lifted or relaxed. The benefit in some cases of catching a 'Red Eye' service means that you arrive at your destination at a more reasonable hour of the day. Take the Jetstar Adelaide to Darwin service as an example. The flight needs to leave no later than 11pm or risk a fine, so the service is scheduled to depart at 10:15pm to allow for any delays. This means that you arrive in Darwin at the spritely time of 2AM, and Tiger services to Perth have similar arrival & departure times because of our curfew.

Quite simply, maintaining an inflexible curfew in a capital city like Adelaide in this day and age is nothing short of archaic! Anyone opposing the relaxing of the curfew only have their own selfish interests in mind and clearly do not understand the advances in aviation that make jets quieter than ever and the 'noise abatement procedures' that pilots can use to further minimise the impact of night operations. Opposing the relaxing of the curfew on the grounds that you dont want flights over your house at night is akin to opposing a building development simply becuse you dont want it nearby (aka a NIMBY).

At the very least there needs to be more education & discussion about the benefits a relaxed curfew would bring to the state.

After all residents in Melbourne, Perth, Darwin, Brisbane & Cairns live near airports that maintain unrestricted 24hour operations and have done so for years....
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#464 Post by aussie2000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:51 am

sorry if its a bit off topic but, heres your story

In plane view, Adelaide Airport's Buck the bear

CHRIS PEPPER
August 16, 2009 12:01am
IF you go out on the tarmac today, be sure of a big surprise - a 1m-high teddy bear riding a bicycle, to be exact.

Dubbed "Buck" by Adelaide Airport staff, the bear has stood guard along the international runway for the past 27 years in various incarnations - clutching a beer on Australia Day, riding a bike during the Tour Down Under, or dressed up in a Port Adelaide guernsey for the premiership.

What started off as a light-hearted challenge to keep air traffic controllers on their toes has turned into a much-loved institution.

"He's representative of what's going on in the state," said airport operations manager John McArdle.

"He gets a regular feature on the staff intranet. The staff like to keep abreast of where he's at and what he's doing . . . if he's not there people write letters asking where he is."

The Buck legend began in 1982 when a member of staff salvaged an old wicker chair from a local dump, and shoved it on to the airfield during the night as a bit of a joke for air traffic controllers.

Do you have any photos of Buck the Bear. Email them to [email protected]

"At first light, they had a bit of a challenge to see who was the first one to spot it," said Mr McArdle.

"It encouraged a good survey of the airfield before it opened."

Soon after an airport employee whose children had left home donated one of their old teddy bears to the airport, and it was promptly stuffed into the chair.

Staff christened the toy "Buck" after Buck Brooksbank, a colourful former Civil Aviation Authority official from Canberra.

Twenty-seven years later, Buck is still keeping watch over the runways and entertaining tourists - he is often the last thing passengers see on the ground as their planes roar down the tarmac.

He might not actually do much but it's been a hard couple of decades for Buck, with harsh sun, wind, rain and hail all taking their toll on his stuffing - not to mention the wasps.

"Once wasps made a nest inside Buck's head," Mr McArdle said.

"Then he got attacked by crows, seriously. He was severely damaged."

And that's not the only spot of bother Buck has been in.

"Just prior to the Ansett collapse he was kidnapped and held to ransom," Mr McArdle said. "A charity got a sizeable donation when he was returned with a broken arm."

Over the years there have been about three different Bucks. Each has undergone a significant amount of surgery in its time, but all have eventually fallen into "permanent hibernation" - otherwise known as the shredder.

It's a somewhat inglorious end for such a unique role - Adelaide is believed to be the only airport in the world with a runway ambassador.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

Omicron

#465 Post by Omicron » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:41 pm