[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #Completed : Adelaide Airport

#436 Post by frank1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Push to end Adelaide airport night curfew
Article from: The Advertiser

MILES KEMP

August 02, 2009 07:50pm

ADELAIDE Airport is lobbying the Federal Government to change its "archaic" curfew to allow more planes to land.

In a submission to the Government's current review of aviation policy, the airport argues it can bring in more aircraft with less noise. It also believes the curfew disadvantages South Australian business.

"AAL believes that the level of debate on aircraft noise has been insufficient to date," the submission states. "There is room to review the regulations to better relate the curfew to noise rather than types or numbers of flights."
Vote now: Should the airport curfew be relaxed?"

While accepting that it is "highly likely" the curfew will continue, AAL argues:

NO credit has been given to the industry for major reductions in aircraft engine noise.

FLIGHT paths could be changed and corridors narrowed.

AIRCRAFT tugs could be used to avoid ground-based engine noise.

The submission also states "the curfew is a major detrimental factor in this region (SA) securing the level of operations commensurate with the tonnage available to the economic advantage of Victoria".

Business SA chief executive Peter Vaughan welcomed the submission and said there should be a public debate on the issue.

"Without enlightened debate ignorance will be piled on ignorance and nothing will change," he said.

In its submission, Tiger Airways states it is "disappointed at the rigid existing curfew arrangements" but accepts that some curfew will remain. Qantas also argues for a relaxation of restrictions if noise levels can be reduced.

Continuation of the existing curfew is supported in the West Torrens Council submission and that of the State Government.

In their submissions to the inquiry, the results of which will soon be released in a paper, Salisbury City Council called for a curfew at Parafield Airport, also operated by Adelaide Airport Limited, between 8pm and 9am.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#437 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:33 pm

AAL, I'll do you a deal. Get together with the appropriate stakeholders to demystify the building height restrictions around Adelaide, and I'll see what I can do...* ;)

I'm directly under the flightpath at the NE suburbs end of the offshore wind approach, and I sleep right through the morning rush. But I'd like to hear what people who live closer to the airport have to say about it.

(* Nb I have no power to do anything)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#438 Post by Shuz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Oh the hell with the bloody airport. Just relocate the damned thing where it should be; at Dry Creek!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#439 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh the hell with the bloody airport. Just relocate the damned thing where it should be; at Dry Creek!
Sure, I'll see what change is in the couch.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#440 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh the hell with the bloody airport. Just relocate the damned thing where it should be; at Dry Creek!
Don't be silly, the Jetbuses would have to make a huge diversion on their trips from Golden Grove to Glenelg!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#441 Post by Aidan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:46 pm

In their submissions to the inquiry, the results of which will soon be released in a paper, Salisbury City Council called for a curfew at Parafield Airport, also operated by Adelaide Airport Limited, between 8pm and 9am.
One of the features of Mawson Lakes is that the air is abuzz after dark :D
How would the residents feel about their suburb no longer being so vibrant?
Too close to Australia's premier bird sanctuary to be either environmentally acceptable or safe! Haven't we been through this before? The best alternative airport location is offshore.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#442 Post by Shuz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Oh snore. Birds can fly, I'm sure they can find a new home elsewhere. Now I would like the keys to the bulldozer please.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#443 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:23 am

From where is the extra traffic coming?

Adelaide Airport has heaps of excess 'daylight hours' flight capacity. Are there reasons why this can't be used to satisfy the need for more planes to land? Perhaps interstate airports are suffering heavily from daytime capacity constraints? or is this a push by the asian hubs (such as singapore) to have their planes to Oz depart earlier than midnight (asia time)?

The cynic in me is saying we'll end up with roughly the same number of take-off/landings per day, just spread across more hours.

bottom line: I'm neutral about the curfew, but would like to see the justifications before change.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#444 Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Shuz wrote:After my recent flights to and from Melbourne. Tiger are absolutely shit. I will never fly with them again.
Very generalised comment there. Any reason for this hatred. Maybe you didn't get your generic OJ and coffee on a recent flight to Melbourne. Very precious.

C the problem with Australians are they are not used to LCC's yet. They are happy to pay the extremely low airfare but then expect to receive Qantas type service.

I think that the curfew is more to open Adelaide up to increased international flights.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#445 Post by Shuz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Well for starters; 7kg check in baggage allowance, and then $25 if you're over. If you're a straight male, that'd be fine, but us chicas gotta pay the price just for having a good fashion sense.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#446 Post by fabricator » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Shuz wrote:Oh snore. Birds can fly, I'm sure they can find a new home elsewhere. Now I would like the keys to the bulldozer please.
Don't forget to re-locate the completely deaf rabbits to the new airport, poor things won't survive in the wild.

Downside is it does mean relocating heavy industry to the airport, which would probably be just a noisy overall.
Maybe build a new airport on the salt pans, flooding might be a minor issue.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#447 Post by Shuz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Adelaide AIrport is already a flood-prone area, so saltpans wouldn't be any issue. Anyways; I'm not talking about the saltpans, since that's earmarked for housing. I'm talking about the lands west of the saltpans, north of the Prexy, east of the Port River. That area.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#448 Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Shuz wrote:Well for starters; 7kg check in baggage allowance, and then $25 if you're over. If you're a straight male, that'd be fine, but us chicas gotta pay the price just for having a good fashion sense.
So you are one of those that expects the Qantas service. 7kg for cabin baggage and you pay $10 for 15kg of check in baggage. That is the same as Jetstar. When you are only paying $29 to go to Melbourne I am sure that even you Shuz can afford 10 bucks to check some of your hosiery and high heels on.

Think Ryanair where Michael O'Leary wanted to charge passengers for using the onboard toilets - now that is a true LCC.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#449 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Pistol wrote:
Shuz wrote:Think Ryanair where Michael O'Leary wanted to charge passengers for using the onboard toilets - now that is a true LCC.
they'd think twice about not allowing you into the loo if you took out a plastic bag, a rubber band, and a rolled up in-flight magazine :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#450 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Wayno wrote:From where is the extra traffic coming?

Adelaide Airport has heaps of excess 'daylight hours' flight capacity. Are there reasons why this can't be used to satisfy the need for more planes to land? Perhaps interstate airports are suffering heavily from daytime capacity constraints? or is this a push by the asian hubs (such as singapore) to have their planes to Oz depart earlier than midnight (asia time)?

The cynic in me is saying we'll end up with roughly the same number of take-off/landings per day, just spread across more hours.

bottom line: I'm neutral about the curfew, but would like to see the justifications before change.
Perhaps there's a shortage of rush hour runway slots, so AAL want to have more earlier and later flights to ease the capacity. I can picture people preferring flights before 8am and after 6pm so they don't lose a business day to travel, especially business travellers who pay big bucks.

Just speculating.