[CAN] Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#46 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Any grade separation of the road would probably result in something similar to the Goodwood Road underpass. Brighton road goes under/over the train, with at grade roads running parallel allowing access to the suburban side streets. I'd also imagine that a few of the side streets would lose their direct connection to Brighton Road. Space would still be extremely tight however.

As its likely to be a rail underpass, I imagine it could be constructed in one of two ways. A Bowden style where piling works are done at night/over weekend closures, before a longer shut where excavation occurs. Or potentially, a method similar to that used for the Glenelg Tram over pass on South Road where a temporary rail line is built in the road corridor allowing works to take place in the rail corridor proper. While this worked for the tram, I suspect that it may not work for the train..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Rail in a trench under Brighton Rd, Hove moved 200m further along to the more accessible and wider space at Caroona Ave x Railway Tce, Warradale Station deleted, hope they can save as many mature trees as possible, get it done.

You know what, they should bite the bullet and trench it all the way from north of Brighton station and get rid of the two pedestrian crossings and Jetty Rd level crossing at the same time. Would mean no level crossings and only one easily fixable pedestrian crossing (Sturt River) between Edwards St in Brighton, and Dunorlan St in Ascot Park, should make for an increase in the speed limit and a step towards shorter travel time.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 am

Is Hove railway station being demolished? I am sure there was a plan to build a new Warradale station closer to Brighton Road replacing the old Hove and Warradale stations.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#49 Post by TrebleSketch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm
I use this stretch of Brighton Road in my car and the Seaford Line a lot. The time it will take to construct a rail underpass will be really disruptive to my daily commute on the train, but must be the best solution long term. I just don’t know how a road overpass could fit into the landscape here with so little space and so many businesses and residential streets near by with their entrance and exit onto Brighton Road (see image). Has this been achieved elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do personally think that it'll be road on-grade and rail underneath. Removing Hove and Warradale to merge into one station with better pedestrian/cyclist overpass. Plus trench it all the way till Brighton Station, as NTRabbit mentioned above.

Maybe services only between Seaford-Brighton and Adelaide-Oaklands (once Gawler electrification is complete), with a short substitute bus ride between the two stations. This would probably save 2-3 minutes off the journey through this section. Maybe a few months of disruption when they're building the road bridge and that'll be all the surface road disruption, though Seaford won't be as lucky.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by mattblack » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Do personally think that it'll be road on-grade and rail underneath. Removing Hove and Warradale to merge into one station with better pedestrian/cyclist overpass. Plus trench it all the way till Brighton Station, as NTRabbit mentioned above.

Maybe services only between Seaford-Brighton and Adelaide-Oaklands (once Gawler electrification is complete), with a short substitute bus ride between the two stations. This would probably save 2-3 minutes off the journey through this section. Maybe a few months of disruption when they're building the road bridge and that'll be all the surface road disruption, though Seaford won't be as lucky.

Did a stretch at DPTI in my previous life and this idea was thrown around (name being considered was 'Hovedale' if I remember correctly. Don't know where that ever went in the end though

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by TrebleSketch » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:10 am

mattblack wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Did a stretch at DPTI in my previous life and this idea was thrown around (name being considered was 'Hovedale' if I remember correctly. Don't know where that ever went in the end though
Oooh, that's pretty neat! Guess we won't know until it is announced, don't usually get leaks from these type of projects. (Unlike all the tech leaks I've been seeing lately, haha)

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Night works for service investigation commence on Monday night.

Meanwhile, carparking adjacent the Warradale station is being upgraded...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by d3v310per » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Like most DPTI projects in SA, this one is going at snails pace. Quite possibly the most inefficient department there is.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: [PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#54 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:08 pm

d3v310per wrote:Like most DPTI projects in SA, this one is going at snails pace. Quite possibly the most inefficient department there is.
This project was never intended to start before next year. Design work is well advanced here, expect more news on this in the next few months.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm

If only Busways had spare kilometres they could reintroduce a 684 running between Hove Station and Hallett Cove Shops via Brighton Road, Ocean Boulevard, Lonsdale Highway then current 720 to Hallett Cove Shops. It'll give people a fast train ride to city instead of a slow 720 via Sturt and South Roads and vice versa back home

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: [PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#56 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:08 pm
d3v310per wrote:Like most DPTI projects in SA, this one is going at snails pace. Quite possibly the most inefficient department there is.
This project was never intended to start before next year. Design work is well advanced here, expect more news on this in the next few months.
They should bring in the Melbourne Level Crossing Removal crew. They'd probably be able to get it done in 6 months (+2 weeks)
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#57 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Norman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:08 pm
They should bring in the Melbourne Level Crossing Removal crew. They'd probably be able to get it done in 6 months (+2 weeks)
Nope, their projects take just as long from design to completion. They might use some templates for other projects, but they definitely take more than 6 months.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm

I stand corrected :oops:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:04 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... ba2e78a422

Hove businesses fear they will be forced out by a proposed $171 million level crossing upgrade

Hove businesses fear they will be forced out of the area as a result of a proposed $171 million upgrade of the Brighton Road level crossing.

Anxious shop owners and staff are calling on the State Government to finally reveal its plans for the project, which is expected to involve either an overpass or an underpass.

They’ve been in limbo for 18 months after the Federal Government announced in April 2019 that it would provide funding for the upgrade.

The State Government announced in June last year it too would stump up cashfor the project.
The upgrade aims to improve travel times for motorists and increase safety for all users, including pedestrians, by removing the road-rail crossing point.

Bicycle store Bike Society is just metres from the level crossing.

Store manager Matt Tozer said there had been talk about upgrading the level crossing for about 20 years.

“I would just like to know either way if it is going to happen,” he said.

“For us, as a business, if the works start happening our business is going to suffer – Access to our business is going to be non-existent.

“We had plans to renovate our store which are on hold because we don’t know what’s happening.”
Mr Tozer said the shop would not survive in its current location if the project went ahead and it would be forced to relocate.

“We’ve been here for 20-odd years – we don’t want to move,” he said.

Pharmacy 777 Hove owner Mitra Pakrou said “we need to know” what the Government was planning for the upgrade.

“For us, we want it to go under because otherwise it would affect us quite significantly; we will disappear, we won’t be seen, she said.

“It would be incredibly beneficial to know what’s going to happen so we can plan.”

Opposition Transport spokesman Tom Koutsantonis said the Government was “all talk and very little action”.

“In April last year $171 million was allocated to grade separate this intersection here at Hove on Brighton Rd (and) since then nothing has happened,” he said.
“They keep on making big announcements but they don’t actually start the work.”

Mr Koutsantonis urged the Government to reveal what it was planning for the site.

“No one knows if their homes are being acquired – No one knows what’s going on,” he said.

Transport Minister Corey Wingard said the Government was “finalising the design and will be going to public consultation shortly”.

“Tom Koutsantonis is talking rubbish,” he said.
“We’ve been doing the planning work on this important project – The planning work that Labor never bothered to do.

“In the meantime we have more than $1 billion worth of major projects getting underway in the next six months, creating more than 1300 jobs.”

According to the Transport Department’s website, an average of 37,000 vehicles pass through the Hove level crossing every day and the boom gates are down for about 20 per cent of the time during peak morning and afternoon periods.

The website states early works are expected to start in 2021/22.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:04 pm
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... ba2e78a422

Hove businesses fear they will be forced out by a proposed $171 million level crossing upgrade

Hove businesses fear they will be forced out of the area as a result of a proposed $171 million upgrade of the Brighton Road level crossing.

Anxious shop owners and staff are calling on the State Government to finally reveal its plans for the project, which is expected to involve either an overpass or an underpass.

They’ve been in limbo for 18 months after the Federal Government announced in April 2019 that it would provide funding for the upgrade.

The State Government announced in June last year it too would stump up cashfor the project.
The upgrade aims to improve travel times for motorists and increase safety for all users, including pedestrians, by removing the road-rail crossing point.

Bicycle store Bike Society is just metres from the level crossing.

Store manager Matt Tozer said there had been talk about upgrading the level crossing for about 20 years.

“I would just like to know either way if it is going to happen,” he said.

“For us, as a business, if the works start happening our business is going to suffer – Access to our business is going to be non-existent.

“We had plans to renovate our store which are on hold because we don’t know what’s happening.”
Mr Tozer said the shop would not survive in its current location if the project went ahead and it would be forced to relocate.

“We’ve been here for 20-odd years – we don’t want to move,” he said.

Pharmacy 777 Hove owner Mitra Pakrou said “we need to know” what the Government was planning for the upgrade.

“For us, we want it to go under because otherwise it would affect us quite significantly; we will disappear, we won’t be seen, she said.

“It would be incredibly beneficial to know what’s going to happen so we can plan.”

Opposition Transport spokesman Tom Koutsantonis said the Government was “all talk and very little action”.

“In April last year $171 million was allocated to grade separate this intersection here at Hove on Brighton Rd (and) since then nothing has happened,” he said.
“They keep on making big announcements but they don’t actually start the work.”

Mr Koutsantonis urged the Government to reveal what it was planning for the site.

“No one knows if their homes are being acquired – No one knows what’s going on,” he said.

Transport Minister Corey Wingard said the Government was “finalising the design and will be going to public consultation shortly”.

“Tom Koutsantonis is talking rubbish,” he said.
“We’ve been doing the planning work on this important project – The planning work that Labor never bothered to do.

“In the meantime we have more than $1 billion worth of major projects getting underway in the next six months, creating more than 1300 jobs.”

According to the Transport Department’s website, an average of 37,000 vehicles pass through the Hove level crossing every day and the boom gates are down for about 20 per cent of the time during peak morning and afternoon periods.

The website states early works are expected to start in 2021/22.

A day that I never thought would come, Wingard talking sense while Tom K spouts absolute nonsense.

Preliminary works (Surveying and service locating) for this have occured and to my knowledge, detailed planning is well underway.

Tom really needs to stop with the uninformed media grabs that can easily be proven wrong. It makes him (and his party) look like absolute idiots.