[PRO] Brighton Road Grade Separation

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#16 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Perhaps an interesting consideration for the Hove Crossing upgrade would be to continue the cutting through to Jetty Road and relocate/grade separate Brighton station to be closer to Brighton Beach and the Jetty Road cafes. I'm guessing Hove Crossing will likely close the Adelaide-Warradale section of the line so that they can shut off the electricity for safety, they might as well kill two birds with one stone.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 39 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#17 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm
Perhaps an interesting consideration for the Hove Crossing upgrade would be to continue the cutting through to Jetty Road and relocate/grade separate Brighton station to be closer to Brighton Beach and the Jetty Road cafes. I'm guessing Hove Crossing will likely close the Adelaide-Warradale section of the line so that they can shut off the electricity for safety, they might as well kill two birds with one stone.
Including Brighton in the scope would prolong the project and also rule out running between Lonsdale and Brighton due to location of crossovers. Also is there width in the rail corridor to accommodate a relocated three track station with reversing facilities.

If electrification to Dry Creek is energised before the Hove project, Adelaide to Oaklands running would be possible from the new substation at Kilburn.

aceman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Adelaide (Hallett Cove)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#18 Post by aceman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 pm

quick question, what's the most likely option at this crossing? same track alignment either over or under Brighton road? I'm guessing under as is at Oaklands

User avatar
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Eden Hills
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#19 Post by omada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 am

Can someone in the know please tell me the point of this grade separation, when there are further bottlenecks at Tapleys/Anzac - in my view traffic merely gets to the bottlenecks quicker

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 338 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#20 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 am

omada wrote:Can someone in the know please tell me the point of this grade separation, when there are further bottlenecks at Tapleys/Anzac - in my view traffic merely gets to the bottlenecks quicker
This grade separation has been necessary for years and years. It is good that money is going toward a project that can - hopefully - have some benefit for rail as well.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#21 Post by baytram366 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am

The Tapleys level crossing would be an interesting one as it would affect the golf course no matter if the railway was put under or over the road. Also, I own a unit pretty much right on top of that intersection so it would also be interesting to see if the government would need to purchase any surrounding properties....
But my gut feeling is that the Grange line would close before any major is done with the Tapleys / Trimmer Parade intersection.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#22 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:40 am

I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 338 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#23 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am

Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#24 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am
Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Again, forward planning. When Cheltenham Racecourse was opened for development, secure a slightly wider rail corridor for the construction phase (like Oaklands, build next to the current line then divert to the new underpass) then Coles wouldn't have been built so close allowing them to build St Clair station grade separated from the start. Integrate the station concourse into the greenway and maybe even add one or two small shops (coffee, newsstand, snacks).

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 338 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#25 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am
Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Again, forward planning. When Cheltenham Racecourse was opened for development, secure a slightly wider rail corridor for the construction phase (like Oaklands, build next to the current line then divert to the new underpass) then Coles wouldn't have been built so close allowing them to build St Clair station grade separated from the start. Integrate the station concourse into the greenway and maybe even add one or two small shops (coffee, newsstand, snacks).
Agree completely, but we seem to fail at forward planning.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#26 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm

We've been failing at forward planning since the rail gauge debacle and selling off the MATS plan land
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 331 times
Been thanked: 79 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#27 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:16 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm
We've been failing at forward planning since the rail gauge debacle and selling off the MATS plan land
Which rail gauge debacle? We planned ahead and negotiated with the other colonies to all use broad gauge so we could inter operate. Hence the first inter capital train service was broad gauge between Adelaide and Melbourne. Then NSW changed its mind unilaterally. Not really SA’s fault.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests