[PRO] Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 174 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#31 Post by d3v310per » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 pm
Preliminary works for this are well underway. Service locating, potholing and surveying have been underway for the past week or so.

The scope seems to extend from Warradale station to Jetty Rd Brighton (and potentially further south)

What's the likelihood of Jetty Rd being included in the grade separation?
Jetty Road isn’t included for the grade separation. Extremely low likelihood it would be expanded to include it.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#32 Post by Spotto » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 pm
Preliminary works for this are well underway. Service locating, potholing and surveying have been underway for the past week or so.

The scope seems to extend from Warradale station to Jetty Rd Brighton (and potentially further south)

What's the likelihood of Jetty Rd being included in the grade separation?
We might as well future proof the project and do Jetty Road now. Will be much cheaper than coming back to finish the job 5-10 years down the line. And it’s unlikely but it would be great to see a grade-separated Brighton station relocated closer to Jetty Road for connectivity with the Jetty Road precinct.

aceman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Adelaide (Hallett Cove)
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#33 Post by aceman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 pm

I've noticed all the different coloured markings sprayed everywhere around the line, is there actually a scheduled start for this project?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#34 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:14 pm

aceman wrote:I've noticed all the different coloured markings sprayed everywhere around the line, is there actually a scheduled start for this project?
No, we need to wait for a development application to be lodged first. Any works now would be early works, such as moving services and traffic management planning for any detours and diversions.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#35 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:23 pm

aceman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 pm
I've noticed all the different coloured markings sprayed everywhere around the line, is there actually a scheduled start for this project?
According to https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/infrastructu ... ng_upgrade the contract for the detailed planning study was awarded to PTPA in August 2019, and on completion of the study early (construction) works are expected to begin in 2021/22.

The DPTI webpage has details and links to a fact sheet and the PTPA webpage.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

[PRO] [PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#36 Post by Norman » Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Utility surveys and site investigations will commence tomorrow.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 42 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#37 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Surveyors were on site today
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 57 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#38 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:02 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:37 pm
Surveyors were on site today
They've been on site for the last few weeks undertaking service investigations with a vac truck. Work outside the rail corridor is nearing completion. Night works will start in the next few weeks to investigate services within the rail corridor.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs
Has thanked: 275 times
Been thanked: 57 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#39 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am

I've heard from a pretty good source that this will be built as a rail underpass similar to the Oaklands Crossing.

This hasn't been locked in 100% but is almost certain.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#40 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am
I've heard from a pretty good source that this will be built as a rail underpass similar to the Oaklands Crossing.

This hasn't been locked in 100% but is almost certain.
I'm hoping to see a near-identical design to Oaklands. It would tie them both in as Seaford Line stations and as part of the wider list of level crossing removals. It'd surely be cheaper to recycle the Oaklands design and tweak it than design something completely new as well, right?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#41 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am
I've heard from a pretty good source that this will be built as a rail underpass similar to the Oaklands Crossing.

This hasn't been locked in 100% but is almost certain.
I'm hoping to see a near-identical design to Oaklands. It would tie them both in as Seaford Line stations and as part of the wider list of level crossing removals. It'd surely be cheaper to recycle the Oaklands design and tweak it than design something completely new as well, right?
At Oaklands it was possible to excavate the new trench and construct the station and much of the new track by making use of the extensive car park to the south while allowing the rail service to continue operation on the old line. At Hove the rail corridor is bordered by either roadways or residential housing.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1617 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#42 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:12 pm

It will probably be built more like Bowden Station. Overnight and weekend rail closures for piling works, and then a longer shutdown over a few months to dig out the soil and construct the station.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#43 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:14 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm
Spotto wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am
I've heard from a pretty good source that this will be built as a rail underpass similar to the Oaklands Crossing.

This hasn't been locked in 100% but is almost certain.
I'm hoping to see a near-identical design to Oaklands. It would tie them both in as Seaford Line stations and as part of the wider list of level crossing removals. It'd surely be cheaper to recycle the Oaklands design and tweak it than design something completely new as well, right?
At Oaklands it was possible to excavate the new trench and construct the station and much of the new track by making use of the extensive car park to the south while allowing the rail service to continue operation on the old line. At Hove the rail corridor is bordered by either roadways or residential housing.
I don't mean use the same construction method, because Hove is very different to Oaklands. I mean the final design and architecture should look like Oaklands does.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#44 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:14 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm
At Oaklands it was possible to excavate the new trench and construct the station and much of the new track by making use of the extensive car park to the south while allowing the rail service to continue operation on the old line. At Hove the rail corridor is bordered by either roadways or residential housing.
I don't mean use the same construction method, because Hove is very different to Oaklands. I mean the final design and architecture should look like Oaklands does.
But design may be determined in part by construction considerations. At Ovingham road over rail is preferred to minimise rail disruption.

User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 634 times

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#45 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm

I use this stretch of Brighton Road in my car and the Seaford Line a lot. The time it will take to construct a rail underpass will be really disruptive to my daily commute on the train, but must be the best solution long term. I just don’t know how a road overpass could fit into the landscape here with so little space and so many businesses and residential streets near by with their entrance and exit onto Brighton Road (see image). Has this been achieved elsewhere?

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joelmark and 8 guests