[PRO] Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: Hove Level Crossing Removal | $171m

#46 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Any grade separation of the road would probably result in something similar to the Goodwood Road underpass. Brighton road goes under/over the train, with at grade roads running parallel allowing access to the suburban side streets. I'd also imagine that a few of the side streets would lose their direct connection to Brighton Road. Space would still be extremely tight however.

As its likely to be a rail underpass, I imagine it could be constructed in one of two ways. A Bowden style where piling works are done at night/over weekend closures, before a longer shut where excavation occurs. Or potentially, a method similar to that used for the Glenelg Tram over pass on South Road where a temporary rail line is built in the road corridor allowing works to take place in the rail corridor proper. While this worked for the tram, I suspect that it may not work for the train..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Rail in a trench under Brighton Rd, Hove moved 200m further along to the more accessible and wider space at Caroona Ave x Railway Tce, Warradale Station deleted, hope they can save as many mature trees as possible, get it done.

You know what, they should bite the bullet and trench it all the way from north of Brighton station and get rid of the two pedestrian crossings and Jetty Rd level crossing at the same time. Would mean no level crossings and only one easily fixable pedestrian crossing (Sturt River) between Edwards St in Brighton, and Dunorlan St in Ascot Park, should make for an increase in the speed limit and a step towards shorter travel time.

PeFe
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:18 am

Is Hove railway station being demolished? I am sure there was a plan to build a new Warradale station closer to Brighton Road replacing the old Hove and Warradale stations.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#49 Post by TrebleSketch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm
I use this stretch of Brighton Road in my car and the Seaford Line a lot. The time it will take to construct a rail underpass will be really disruptive to my daily commute on the train, but must be the best solution long term. I just don’t know how a road overpass could fit into the landscape here with so little space and so many businesses and residential streets near by with their entrance and exit onto Brighton Road (see image). Has this been achieved elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do personally think that it'll be road on-grade and rail underneath. Removing Hove and Warradale to merge into one station with better pedestrian/cyclist overpass. Plus trench it all the way till Brighton Station, as NTRabbit mentioned above.

Maybe services only between Seaford-Brighton and Adelaide-Oaklands (once Gawler electrification is complete), with a short substitute bus ride between the two stations. This would probably save 2-3 minutes off the journey through this section. Maybe a few months of disruption when they're building the road bridge and that'll be all the surface road disruption, though Seaford won't be as lucky.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by mattblack » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Do personally think that it'll be road on-grade and rail underneath. Removing Hove and Warradale to merge into one station with better pedestrian/cyclist overpass. Plus trench it all the way till Brighton Station, as NTRabbit mentioned above.

Maybe services only between Seaford-Brighton and Adelaide-Oaklands (once Gawler electrification is complete), with a short substitute bus ride between the two stations. This would probably save 2-3 minutes off the journey through this section. Maybe a few months of disruption when they're building the road bridge and that'll be all the surface road disruption, though Seaford won't be as lucky.

Did a stretch at DPTI in my previous life and this idea was thrown around (name being considered was 'Hovedale' if I remember correctly. Don't know where that ever went in the end though

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by TrebleSketch » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:10 am

mattblack wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Did a stretch at DPTI in my previous life and this idea was thrown around (name being considered was 'Hovedale' if I remember correctly. Don't know where that ever went in the end though
Oooh, that's pretty neat! Guess we won't know until it is announced, don't usually get leaks from these type of projects. (Unlike all the tech leaks I've been seeing lately, haha)

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Night works for service investigation commence on Monday night.

Meanwhile, carparking adjacent the Warradale station is being upgraded...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation