News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Transport Projects

#496 Post by drsmith » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

$32m upgrade for Yorke Peninsula roads including a roundabout at the T-junction of Yorke and Copper Coast highways,
Tenders have been called for Upper Yorke Peninsula Regional Road Network Upgrade

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) has called for tenders for planning, design and construction as part of an investment of around $32 million to upgrade the Upper Yorke Peninsula regional road network.

The package of works aims to improve safety and efficiency for heavy vehicles, motorists and agricultural vehicles driving on roads in the Upper Yorke Peninsula.

A major component of the package will improve freight access between Ardrossan and Port Wakefield. The road between these towns represents a ‘missing link’ in the Restricted Access Vehicle network for 36.5 metre road train vehicles and causes a freight productivity constraint for the Yorke Peninsula.

The works include a new roundabout at the junction of the Yorke and Copper Coast Highways, new overtaking lanes, shoulder sealing, intersection upgrades, bridge widening at Port Clinton and safety improvements on Yorke Highway, north of Ardrossan.

Some of the works were identified in a 90 Day project which resulted in the ‘A Modern Transport System for Agriculture: A New Partnership Approach’ report - a partnership between DPTI, Primary Industries and Regions SA and Primary Producers SA.

Other works in the package include:
•Upgrade of the intersection of the Curramulka to Port Vincent Road (known locally as Dans Road) and Minlaton to Port Vincent Road.
•Pavement rehabilitation on the Bute to Kulpara Road.
•Upgrades on the Copper Coast Highway between Paskeville and Kadina.
•Intersection upgrade Minlaton – Yorketown Road and Minlaton – Warooka Road.

Works are expected to commence in February 2017.

These projects are primarily funded from the South Australian Government’s Last Mile Freight Access Program, which was announced in the 2015-16 Mid-Year Budget Review.

Funding has also been provided from the Federal Government’s Black Spot Programme and Minor Works Programme.
Map of Yorke/CC Highway T-junction roundabout,

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... FPage1.pdf

Project overview video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9uXyTMrBFU

While the above are a worthwhile group of projects in themselves, there's nothing in there though regarding the biggest (and most expensive) issue. That though more than any of the above is a federal government responsibility.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#497 Post by drsmith » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm looking at the roundabout and left wondering as to whether the lack of slip lanes will lead to congestion during holiday periods/long weekends. Traffic data and modelling I assume would have been part of the process in determining the capacity requirements of the roundabout however this may be presently understated during the above periods due to the present bottleneck at Port Wakefield. Slip lanes can be added later but for this, the roundabout should ideally be offset slightly to the southwest of the Copper coast Highway to allow a straight run for on a future slip lane for traffic from Kadina/Wallaroo. Southbound traffic from the Yorke Highway could then merge downstream (towards Port Wakefield) at speed a safe distance from the roundabout. Similarly, a slip lane for left turning traffic northbound on the Copper Coast highway could allow a slip merge on the Yorke Highway with the low volume right turn southbound movement from the Copper coast highway. That would prohibit safe access to/from the rest area/tourism display on the corner but that can be moved.

Widening the bridge over the gully south of Port Clinton and additional overtaking lanes north of Ardrossan are upgrades that have crossed my own mind. The additional overtaking lanes I imagine will be one additional in each direction. Further south, I've also wondered about a bypass of Pine Point and extending the northbound slip lane from the Minlaton Road to over the crest. The emphasis however seems to be for 36.5m road trains north from Ardrossan.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#498 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:21 pm

DPTI are upgrading the intersection of Fiveash Drive and Day Drive, adjacent to Pasadena Foodland. Traffic lights will be installed, making it easier for people leaving the Pasadena Foodland underground car park to turn right onto Fiveash Drive.

I assume this will result in the removal of the pedestrian crossing to the east of the intersection..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#499 Post by neoballmon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 pm

There's pedestrian lights 100 metres away, will they remain or get removed and incorporated into the new signals?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#500 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 pm

neoballmon wrote:There's pedestrian lights 100 metres away, will they remain or get removed and incorporated into the new signals?
Not too sure. I would assume that they would be removed however I can't say for certain. I have only glanced at the plans briefly..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#501 Post by jase111 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Projects under
assessment
As at February 2017, Infrastructure Australia is assessing the following business cases for inclusion on the Infrastructure Priority List as Projects.
State
New South Wales
Victoria Queensland Western Australia
Northern Territory
Proposed Project
Sydney Metro
Northern Beaches Bus Rapid Transport
Western Distributor
Cross River Rail
Armadale Road upgrade
Mitchell Freeway (Hester Ave to Romeo Road)
Tonkin Highway (Collier Road to Great Eastern Highway) Swan Valley Bypass Enhancements
Tanami Road
So does this mean no new projects from this state for another year?????????

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#502 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Once the light rail business case is done (probably "conveniently" before the next state budget/election), that will get added.

Apart from that, I hope DPTI start pushing the rest of the North-South corridor more.

Any other projects that are in the pipeline?

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#503 Post by jase111 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Adelaide – Tarcoola Rail Upgrade Acceleration
Gawler Line rail upgrade
AdeLINK Tram Network (Adelaide tram network expansion)
South Australian regional mineral port development
Gawler Craton rail access
Northern Adelaide Plains water infrastructure development
Priority Project
High Priority Initiative
Priority Initiative
Priority Initiative
Priority Initiative
Priority Initiative
Rail reliability and axle loadings on the interstate rail 34 network
Adelaide outer north east suburbs access to CBD 50
Adelaide public transport capacity 76
South Australia bulk port capacity 101
Freight rail connection to Gawler Craton mineral 103 province
Opportunity to develop industry and agriculture in 114 Northern Adelaide region
Proposed project/initiative
Group
Problem description
Page
Eyre Infrastructure Project (Iron Road)
Priority Project
Eyre Peninsula freight capacity
Adelaide north-south corridor upgrade (remaining sections)
Priority Initiative
Adelaide north-south urban road network capacity
Strzelecki Track upgrade and mobile coverage
Priority Initiative
Access to Cooper Basin (South Australia)
Sturt Highway High Productivity Vehicle capacity enhancement, including Truro bypass
Priority Initiative
South Australia road freight network capacity
Melbourne–Adelaide–Perth rail upgrade
Priority Initiative
Freight connectivity Melbourne–Perth
This is the list as today on the IA Prority list feb 2017

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#504 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Sturt Highway Truro bypass and Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth rail could be pushed as part of the Liberal link up from Monarto, too. Might we manage bi-partisan support, even with quite different philosophy and reasons for supporting them?

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#505 Post by drsmith » Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm

SA DTI have updated the video for the Upper Yorke Peninsula Regional Road Network Upgrade to include more detail.

Information on safety improvements on Yorke Highway, north of Ardrossan has been expanded upon from the earlier video. In addition to the bridge widening south of Port Clinton and 2 new overtaking lanes, 3 intersections are also to be upgraded. These are likely a connecting road to Maitland just south of Port Clinton and the two access roads to Price. No detail on the specific nature of the upgrades but I'd expect they will be for the provision of right turn lanes on Yorke Highway to the connecting roads given the purpose of the upgrade is to run 36.5m road trains on the route.

Also of interest is that there is now an upgrade to the intersection of the intersection north of Port Wakefield (Augusta Highway and Copper Coast Highway). No detail but I wouldn't expect it wil be anything major.

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/content/upperyorke

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#506 Post by Splashmo » Tue May 23, 2017 3:12 pm

DPTI are planning to remove right-hand turns from Fosters Road into North East Road - a difficult road manoeuvre at the best of times, but the result makes it even harder for thousands of residents to get onto the arterial road. They must want North East Road to behave like a little expressway for all the outer suburbs drivers, at the expense of people closer to town. :roll:

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/roa ... sters_road

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#507 Post by DM8 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Splashmo wrote:a difficult road manoeuvre at the best of times
That should read "almost impossible road maneuver". That junction has been a black spot for decades, not just in peak but during the day and weekends. In peak hour, forget it - right turn out of Fosters is not worth the time or trouble.

How it has remained in its current uncontrolled state for this long is beyond me. I can't believe some of the risks taken by those who turn right out of Fosters at that junction, often putting themselves on a collision course with traffic on Nth East trying to turn right on to Muller, or almost losing the back end of their vehicle because they partly enter the median without fully clearing the northeastern carriageway.
Splashmo wrote:but the result makes it even harder for thousands of residents to get onto the arterial road.
How? Already it's easier to go around the back of Greenacres S/C, left onto Muller then right on to Nth East rather than try to turn right on to Nth East from Fosters. Making Fosters left only onto Nth East as they're proposing would make it easier and safer for those unfamiliar with the area and those who still prefer to tempt fate turning right on to Nth East Rd.
Splashmo wrote:They must want North East Road to behave like a little expressway for all the outer suburbs drivers, at the expense of people closer to town.
Well the Modbury Freeway (MATS) with a simple, dedicated bus lane each way would have been nicer, leaving Nth East Rd quieter for those closer to town, but that's another debate entirely. :banana:
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#508 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Splashmo wrote:DPTI are planning to remove right-hand turns from Fosters Road into North East Road - a difficult road manoeuvre at the best of times, but the result makes it even harder for thousands of residents to get onto the arterial road. They must want North East Road to behave like a little expressway for all the outer suburbs drivers, at the expense of people closer to town. :roll:

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/roa ... sters_road
I read the management plan and noticed that it doesn't seem to mention the Fosters/LNE Roads fork that goes around the library/OTR they installed last year. Is this document up to date?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#509 Post by Splashmo » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm

DM8 wrote:Already it's easier to go around the back of Greenacres S/C, left onto Muller then right on to Nth East rather than try to turn right on to Nth East from Fosters. Making Fosters left only onto Nth East as they're proposing would make it easier and safer for those unfamiliar with the area and those who still prefer to tempt fate turning right on to Nth East Rd.
In theory - yes, but the problem is that there is no green arrow to turn right onto North East Road from Muller Road, so you have to wait for the oncoming traffic from Thistle Avenue, the lane is very short, and in peak hour the lights prioritise North East Road traffic, so you'll sit there and wait ages. It's the same problem on Poole Avenue/OG Road which is the only other nearby entry.
monotonehell wrote:I read the management plan and noticed that it doesn't seem to mention the Fosters/LNE Roads fork that goes around the library/OTR they installed last year. Is this document up to date?
That road has been there a lot longer - in fact they're "upgrading" it at the moment. That would have been the possible link between a proper, upgraded intersection with Muller Road if the government was serious about Fosters Road access.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#510 Post by PD2/20 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 am

monotonehell wrote: I read the management plan and noticed that it doesn't seem to mention the Fosters/LNE Roads fork that goes around the library/OTR they installed last year. Is this document up to date?
I assume the references on p16 of the report to "Council owned section of Fosters Road" and "Council owned Fosters Road" refer to the road to the west of the OTR.