News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Transport Projects

#526 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Of course they are not going to put things in that haven't been announced, that's what budgets and minister announcements are all about. There will always be a minister and a ribbon-cutting ceremony or an arranged announcement with a pre-announcement leak to the local rag.
Last edited by Norman on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#527 Post by rubberman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 pm
Of course they are not going to put things in that haven't been announced, that's what budgets and minister announcements are all about. Never get between a minister and a ribbon-cutting ceremony or an arranged announcement with a pre-announcement leak to the local rag.
That's not quite right in principle...although in practice it is close. Usually, there's an announcement in the forward plan, then when there's a feasibility study, then when there's money for design, then in the budget, then when work starts, then when the ribbon gets cut. So, usually something announced outside the plan is "if elected we'll (look at maybe a feasibilty study to) build something".

In that framework, what's in the plan is all that will happen in the time frame, BUT watch this space for studies, surveys, business case development or discussions with Canberra about other stuff. Otherwise, what's the point of an industry briefing? If the government is omitting real boots on the ground construction in such briefings, industry will smack them around the head and use such a lack of transparency against them.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#528 Post by rev » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Driving through the Torrens Junction works on Park Terrace got me thinking, specifically over the rail line it self.
The road markings for lanes are a shambles in that section. They've move the lanes out a bit because they've put up barriers.
Why do they not paint some yellow lane markings in road work zones where lanes have been shifted, as they do in Melbourne?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#529 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:53 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm
Driving through the Torrens Junction works on Park Terrace got me thinking, specifically over the rail line it self.
The road markings for lanes are a shambles in that section. They've move the lanes out a bit because they've put up barriers.
Why do they not paint some yellow lane markings in road work zones where lanes have been shifted, as they do in Melbourne?
They're trialling this on the Darlington works

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#530 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:58 pm

This is also done extensively in Europe.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#531 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm

SA’s giant infrastructure wishlist: Adelaide Airport, outback roads and rail line to Aldinga among Canberra cash request
Miles Kemp, The Advertiser
an hour ago

SOUTH Australia has made an ambitious bid for hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding to kickstart transport projects across the state.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan has revealed to The Advertiser his annual wish list of projects in the lead-up to next year’s Federal Budget.

Big winners could be southern residents with a rail extension to Aldinga, the Adelaide Airport with a tramline extension, and business which could be linked to the next phase of the super-fast internet GigCity project for the CBD.

"The State Government stands ready to partner and work with the Federal Government to deliver these critical infrastructure projects, just as we did with the Northern Connector, Darlington, Flinderslink and Oaklands Crossing," Mr Mullighan said.

The wish list is the first step in a two-phase system, asking for independent approval announced in February 2018 from Infrastructure Australia, which allows the projects to be considered for funding in the 2018 Federal Budget.

Infrastructure Australia sits at arm’s length from the Federal Government to approve the viability of projects, but not allocate funds.

In February, it will announce the latest round of projects which then become eligible for billions in cash. In 2017, $60 billion was allocated nationally.

Approval will be sought for upgrades to the Adelaide train network, including park and rides, interchange upgrades, and increased service frequency. Level crossings could be removed at Park Tce, Salisbury; Commercial Rd, Salisbury; Womma Rd, Elizabeth; Brighton Rd, Hove; Goodwood Rd, Goodwood; Marion Rd/Cross Rd, Plympton Park.

The State Government will also lobby for improved access to the Far North and West by sealing and upgrading the Strzelecki Track, road upgrades from Adelaide to Port Augusta, duplication of the Joy Baluch Bridge in Port Augusta, and key freight route upgrades including Yorkey’s Crossing. It has also asked for regional aerodrome upgrades.

The Adelaide Airport application will also seek better intersection upgrades and new access to the terminal precinct for taxis, buses, freight and commercial vehicles, and more cycling and walking options.

The State Government submission obtained by The Advertiser will also push for additional funding to make the north-south corridor through the city non-stop.
RAA senior manager of road safety Charles Mountain welcomed the submission.

"Each of these projects would provide significant improvements to South Australian roads, but it’s particularly good to see the Port Augusta Highway on the priority list," he said.

"As this is the gateway to the north of the state, and given the increasing amount of traffic that’s using this key route each year, an upgrade to the road would greatly improve safety on this long stretch of road."

Mr Mountain said an additional southward rail would also be a benefit for road and rail travellers.

"The extension of the Seaford train line to Aldinga, along with Park’n’Ride facilities is a welcome addition, as the population is only expected to continue to grow in Adelaide’s southern suburbs," he said.

He said separating road and rail was an ongoing challenge.

"Network optimisation works at a number of major intersections will also have a substantial impact in reducing congestion across Adelaide," Mr Mountain said.

"By separating rail lines from the road, it improves travel times while also increasing safety for vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians, at these locations.

"We look forward to seeing how these projects progress through the Infrastructure Australia submission process."

Mr Mullighan said over the next four years, the State Government would invest $9.5 billion in infrastructure which would sustain the construction industry and create a lasting legacy.

"We continue to call on the Turnbull Government to come to the table with funding so these projects can be delivered to address the Adelaide’s capacity constraints," he said.

WHAT’S PLANNED
■ Extending the Seaford train line to Aldinga — a $462 million project involving funding from all sources.
■ More Park’n’Rides.
■ Interchange upgrades.
■ Increased public transport frequency.
■ Upgrades to major intersections.
■ Level crossing removals at Park Terrace, Salisbury; Commercial Road, Salisbury; Womma Road, Elizabeth and Brighton Road, Hove.
■ Tram level crossing removal at Goodwood Road, Goodwood; Marion Road, Plympton Park and Cross Road, Plympton Park. This is a $500 million project with funding from multiple sources.
■ Sealing and upgrading the Strzelecki Track. This is a $450 million project with a number of funding sources.
■ Road upgrades from Adelaide to Port Augusta, and Port Augusta and beyond.
■ Duplication of the Joy Baluch AM Bridge in Port Augusta. This is a $210 million project with a number of funding sources.
■ Key freight route upgrades.
■ Regional aerodrome upgrades.
■ Improved access to Adelaide Airport including intersection upgrades and new access to the terminal precinct for taxis, buses, freight and commercial vehicles plus upgrades to public transport options such as new tram link to the Adelaide Airport terminal and more cycling and walking options. This is a $475 million project, with a number of funding sources.
■ Large-scale expansion of broadband infrastructure (GigCity Expansion).
■ Updates for the North-South Corridor and AdeLINK Tram Network initiatives.
Nice to finally see a list of priorities, although I can't see how increased services (operating cost) would be funded by a capital-based fund.

The government seems pretty keep on this Aldinga extension, I thought growth reduced in the outer suburbs? Would be interesting to see if a business case has been prepared.

I wonder if the tram grade separations would take precedence over extensions. The costs seems a bit excessive though, unless the Cross/Marion Road/ANZAC Highway intersection also receives a major grade separation.

Good to see the bridge duplication in Port Augusta, the town is probably not ready for a ring road bypass yet.

Algernon

#532 Post by Algernon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:32 am

Growth in the south slowing? God I hope so. A few months back I brought my partner to Adelaide to show her my home town. I took her for the drive to Carickalinga which was a big childhood rural adventure for me. Was utterly shocked at the growth of suburbia down there. Half of what was the wilderness between Adelaide and Yankalilla has become suburbs in the space of 15 years. Whatever effort was made to reign in the expansion seems to have been thrown out at some point. Did the urban growth boundary circa 2005 ever get implemented?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#533 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 am

Algernon wrote:Growth in the south slowing? God I hope so. A few months back I brought my partner to Adelaide to show her my home town. I took her for the drive to Carickalinga which was a big childhood rural adventure for me. Was utterly shocked at the growth of suburbia down there. Half of what was the wilderness between Adelaide and Yankalilla has become suburbs in the space of 15 years. Whatever effort was made to reign in the expansion seems to have been thrown out at some point. Did the urban growth boundary circa 2005 ever get implemented?
No, but the growth boundary in 2014 or so was legislated.

The major growth area down south right now seems to be Seaford Meadows and where the new Aldi is in the southern part of Seaford.

SBD

#534 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:03 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm
SA’s giant infrastructure wishlist: Adelaide Airport, outback roads and rail line to Aldinga among Canberra cash request
Miles Kemp, The Advertiser
an hour ago

SOUTH Australia has made an ambitious bid for hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding to kickstart transport projects across the state.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan has revealed to The Advertiser his annual wish list of projects in the lead-up to next year’s Federal Budget.
[...]
The State Government submission obtained by The Advertiser will also push for additional funding to make the north-south corridor through the city non-stop.
[...]
Mr Mullighan said over the next four years, the State Government would invest $9.5 billion in infrastructure which would sustain the construction industry and create a lasting legacy.

"We continue to call on the Turnbull Government to come to the table with funding so these projects can be delivered to address the Adelaide’s capacity constraints," he said.

WHAT’S PLANNED
[...]
■ Sealing and upgrading the Strzelecki Track. This is a $450 million project with a number of funding sources.
■ Road upgrades from Adelaide to Port Augusta, and Port Augusta and beyond.
■ Duplication of the Joy Baluch AM Bridge in Port Augusta. This is a $210 million project with a number of funding sources.
■ Key freight route upgrades.
■ Regional aerodrome upgrades.
■ Improved access to Adelaide Airport including intersection upgrades and new access to the terminal precinct for taxis, buses, freight and commercial vehicles plus upgrades to public transport options such as new tram link to the Adelaide Airport terminal and more cycling and walking options. This is a $475 million project, with a number of funding sources.
■ Large-scale expansion of broadband infrastructure (GigCity Expansion).
■ Updates for the North-South Corridor and AdeLINK Tram Network initiatives.
Nice to finally see a list of priorities, although I can't see how increased services (operating cost) would be funded by a capital-based fund.

The government seems pretty keep on this Aldinga extension, I thought growth reduced in the outer suburbs? Would be interesting to see if a business case has been prepared.

I wonder if the tram grade separations would take precedence over extensions. The costs seems a bit excessive though, unless the Cross/Marion Road/ANZAC Highway intersection also receives a major grade separation.

Good to see the bridge duplication in Port Augusta, the town is probably not ready for a ring road bypass yet.
There seem to be a couple of other "regional" projects that ought to be on this list but if they are, it's hidden in the vague "Key freight route upgrades". My regional transport upgrades would include:
  • Duplicate the Swanport Bridge (bottleneck in the road to/from Melbourne, Southeast SA and The Bend Motorsport Park)
  • Extend the North South Corrodor/Sturt Highway duplication to bypass Truro
  • Start a plan to duplicate the Dukes Highway to meet the expansions of the Western Highway in Victoria
  • Plan and preliminary works for whatever might be needed for future upgrades through the Riverland (Renmark bypass, Paringa bridge replacement, and/or alternate route for the highway near Kingston and Loxton)

north of gepps cross
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#535 Post by north of gepps cross » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 pm

id like to see the government fix main north road from the grove way intersection make it 3 lanes all the way to gepps cross and throw in under pass or overpass at kings road montague road intersection and gepps cross intersection . also duplicate curtis road for god sake and may as well do woma road duplicate it

SBD

#536 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:24 pm

north of gepps cross wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 pm
id like to see the government fix main north road from the grove way intersection make it 3 lanes all the way to gepps cross and throw in under pass or overpass at kings road montague road intersection and gepps cross intersection . also duplicate curtis road for god sake and may as well do woma road duplicate it
I wonder how much traffic will be eased on Main North Road when the Northern Connector is completed. I don't think anyone collects enough data to be confident of modelling whether it will make much difference or not.

Gepps Cross is on the national freight route, but quite a complex intersection to try to grade separate effectively. It might become less critical when the North-South Motorway is completed - more traffic from the South Eastern Freeway might use Cross Road and NSM instead of Portrush and Grand Junction Roads.

As a regular user, improving traffic on Curtis Road would be lovely, not sure if the "best" fix is the railway crossing, more lanes on each carriageway, or simply opening a few more roads in the surrounding housing estates (e.g. Newton Boulevard connecting to Stebonheath Road) as it is mostly only a problem at school times.

claybro

#537 Post by claybro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:24 pm
[quote="north of gepps cross" post_id=159221 time=<a href="tel:1509769283">1509769283</a> user_id=7855]
I wonder how much traffic will be eased on Main North Road when the Northern Connector is completed. I don't think anyone collects enough data to be confident of modelling whether it will make much difference or not.

Gepps Cross is on the national freight route, but quite a complex intersection to try to grade separate effectively. It might become less critical when the North-South Motorway is completed - more traffic from the South Eastern Freeway might use Cross Road and NSM instead of Portrush and Grand Junction Roads.

As a regular user, improving traffic on Curtis Road would be lovely, not sure if the "best" fix is the railway crossing, more lanes on each carriageway, or simply opening a few more roads in the surrounding housing estates (e.g. Newton Boulevard connecting to Stebonheath Road) as it is mostly only a problem at school times.
[/quote]

Traffic will be noticeably less on roads like Main North , Churchill, Marion, even goodwood with the opening of the expressway. Only question is, how much will induced demand clog the expressway? Either way, without the expressway, major upgrades to all arterial roads including grade separated major intersections would have been required causing chaos for most suburbs, and a living hell for those living anywhere near main roads.

Patrick_27

#538 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 am

I don't understand why an Aldinga extension is being submitted whilst we still have rail electrification waiting on the list?

I also don't understand how the Cross Road level crossing for the Belair and freight line(s) isn't on the list of level crossing removals. This is a no brainer from the perspective of most people living in the inner souther suburbs...

[Shuz]

#539 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 am

I don't get why a grade separation is needed for the Goodwood tram crossing. If anything, it should remain to allow for a future tram line down Goodwood Road.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#540 Post by SBD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 am
I don't understand why an Aldinga extension is being submitted whilst we still have rail electrification waiting on the list?

I also don't understand how the Cross Road level crossing for the Belair and freight line(s) isn't on the list of level crossing removals. This is a no brainer from the perspective of most people living in the inner souther suburbs...
Yes it is, especially if more road freight starts using that route as the middle of the North South Motorway approaches completion. That would seem to be far more important than Womma Road, I'd have thought.