News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Transport Projects

#571 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am
In case anyone wants to participate:
Future of Transport survey
Researchers Raul Barreto, Anton van den Hengel and Jon Kellett (University of Adelaide - Schools of Economics, Computer Science and Architecture and the Built Environment) want to gauge perceptions of self-driving vehicles (SDVs) and the market’s preference to SDVs over traditional cars. The project team aims to contribute to Adelaide’s Smart Cities dialogue. Please complete the survey, which takes less than 5 minutes, and also pass it on to any interested networks.
Survey link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3988860/F ... ort-Survey
Pointless survey:
1) It assumes I work in "the CBD"
2) It assumes I use either a car or public transport to get to work. It discounts the option of driving to a metropolitan transport interchange then using the bus/train the rest of the way
3) It disregards cycling or walking to work at all
4) There are invalid assumptions built into many more of the multiple choice questions where the obvious answer would be "none of the above as your assumption does not work"
I didn't say it was a good survey :wink:

I always like to help out with these research surveys - even though the majority of them are really badly constructed...

ChillyPhilly

#572 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm
SBD wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am
In case anyone wants to participate:

Survey link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3988860/F ... ort-Survey
Pointless survey:
2) It assumes I use either a car or public transport to get to work. It discounts the option of driving to a metropolitan transport interchange then using the bus/train the rest of the way
4) There are invalid assumptions built into many more of the multiple choice questions where the obvious answer would be "none of the above as your assumption does not work"

I always like to help out with these research surveys - even though the majority of them are really badly constructed...
I was a student of Kellett's when he was at UniSA a few years back. I can put you in touch with him if you wish to provide that feedback.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#573 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 pm
SBD wrote:

Pointless survey:

I was a student of Kellett's when he was at UniSA a few years back. I can put you in touch with him if you wish to provide that feedback.
You are welcome to pass it on from here. I also wanted to try to help, but could not find a question that made sense with any of the available answers. It could start with some demographic questions then phrase the main questions to allow for all combinations of answers. Things like: Do you travel from home to the same place more than three times a week? (yes/no) If no, thank you for your time. If yes, continue, thinking about your journeys between home and that place. Is it for work/study/volunteering/social activities/other (please specify)? Is the place you travel to in the Adelaide CBD/a regional city CBD/Adelaide suburbs/elsewhere in South Australia?
That would allow more fine-grained analysis of trends, and could lead to more than one research paper if the results are significantly different across some of those groups.

I apologise for my grumpy response - I wanted to help and was frustrated that I couldn't.

ChillyPhilly

#574 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

You are welcome to pass it on from here. I also wanted to try to help, but could not find a question that made sense with any of the available answers. It could start with some demographic questions then phrase the main questions to allow for all combinations of answers. Things like: Do you travel from home to the same place more than three times a week? (yes/no) If no, thank you for your time. If yes, continue, thinking about your journeys between home and that place. Is it for work/study/volunteering/social activities/other (please specify)? Is the place you travel to in the Adelaide CBD/a regional city CBD/Adelaide suburbs/elsewhere in South Australia?
That would allow more fine-grained analysis of trends, and could lead to more than one research paper if the results are significantly different across some of those groups.

I apologise for my grumpy response - I wanted to help and was frustrated that I couldn't.
I've sent you a PM with his email.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#575 Post by Eurostar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 am

Ovingham bridge named in honour of renowned athlete and engineer

David Fitzsimons has been recently remembered with the Ovingham bridge that he helped to build named in his honour. The David Fitzsimons Bridge.

David Fitzsimons was not only a valued engineer and project manager with DPTI for over 30 years but one of South Australia’s greatest track athletes.
Mr Fitzsimons was a distance runner representing Australia at the Olympics and Commonwealth Games in the 1970s and ‘80s.

He is recognised as one of the best track athletes South Australia has ever produced, winning eight Australian Championships over 5000 metres, 10,000 metres, including three 5000/10,000 metre doubles.

Mr Fitzsimons won the 1977 World Cup bronze medal for the 5000 metres of which his time still remains a South Australian record.
As an engineer Mr Fitzsimons was the project manager on the 120-metre Park Terrace bridge, which spans the freight and Gawler passenger rail lines at Ovingham.

It is fitting that his contribution to the State is recognised in his work constructing the Ovingham Bridge that alleviated what was known as one of Adelaide's worst peak hour bottlenecks for motorists in the north-west corner of the city.

He was an admired leader known for his kindness, intelligence and strategic thinking.

Mr Fitzsimons passed away on 7 September 2008.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#576 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

Not sure where else to post this so hopefully it's ok.

Gilbert Street is undergoing resurfacing from King William Street all the way to West Terrace with a few side streets being included in the works.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#577 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 am

That resurfacing work is complete now.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#578 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:57 pm

There's a rumour on Twitter that the Liberals will announce a road project for the Yorke Peninsula tomorrow. Could it be the Port Wakefield Bypass?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#579 Post by Howie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

State election 2018: South Australian Liberals vow to build Wakefield overpass
Daniel Wills, State Political Editor, Sunday Mail (SA)
January 27, 2018 8:00pm
f5650b216a52f81a2b2d1a2ab6b4cf17.jpg
f5650b216a52f81a2b2d1a2ab6b4cf17.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
A $24.2 MILLION overpass near Port Wakefield is being sold as the solution to stop infuriating long weekend traffic snarls and cut crashes, in the Liberal’s latest election pitch.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Opposition Leader Steven Marshall will today pledge to meet half the cost of building a single lane overpass at the Copper Coast and Augusta highways, with the Federal Government required to tip in the remaining $12.1 million needed.

The intersection has been a long-running pain for holiday makers escaping Adelaide for the Mid North and Yorke and Eyre peninsulas, as well as a site of regular vehicle accidents.

The plan includes taking the Copper Coast Highway over the Augusta Highway, as well as re-routing access roads for smoother vehicle movements at the choke point.

The Liberals have based the cost on the price that the State Government paid to deliver the $18 million McLaren Vale Overpass in 2013, with inflation added on.

In March last year, the State Government awarded a $40 million contract to complete a series of works including a $4 million roundabout at the Yorke and Copper Coast highways junction, overtaking lanes near Ardrossan, shoulder sealings and other improvements in the region.

Mr Marshall said the overpass was part of a broader Yorke Peninsula and Mid North plan, and would “end traffic bottlenecks and reduce road accidents” at the notorious intersection.

He said it was used by about 3000 vehicles per day but that number soared to as many as 10,000 during peak times like long weekends, creating traffic jams 10km long.
An artist’s impression of the Liberals’ overpass plan at the Copper Coast Highway and Augusta Highway intersection, complemented by the re-routing of access roads at the intersection.

“Yorke Peninsula is one of Adelaide’s favourite holiday destinations but too often the experience is marred by massive wait times as traffic banks up from the junction of the Copper Coast Highway and the Augusta Highway,” Mr Marshall said.

He said it was an even more frequent frustration for Yorke Peninsula locals, and the upgrade would improve their daily lives while offering a potential boost for the tourism industry.

“The Copper Coast and Augusta highways intersection is so dangerous that locals call it crash corner as a result of its history of accidents resulting in fatal or serious injury,” Mr Marshall said.

“This investment will boost the local economy of Yorke Peninsula by attracting more visitors and improving the freight route to market for farmers’ produce.”

Mr Marshall said the SA Liberals had already held discussions with the Federal Government and were confident of securing the remaining cash needed to make the promise a reality.

The pledge will also provide a boost to the Liberal candidate in Narungga, Fraser Ellis, who’s fighting off a challenge in the notionally safe seat from SA Best candidate and agronomist Sam Davies. Narungga was formerly known as Goyder, and covers the Eyre Peninsula.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#580 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 pm

seems like a huge project just to alleviate traffic that only occurs 3 or 4 times a year

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#581 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:16 am

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 pm
seems like a huge project just to alleviate traffic that only occurs 3 or 4 times a year
This ^ It's overkill for the 5 or so days a year it's a problem.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#582 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 am

monotonehell wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:16 am
Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 pm
This ^ It's overkill for the 5 or so days a year it's a problem.
Yes, but its a nice headline for the Libs in their search for a Transport Policy and the 'cars only and bugger everything else' brigade(ie a lot of South Australians:( will lap it up.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

bits
Legendary Member!

#583 Post by bits » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 am

It is an announcement, a plan, an idea of what the libs will offer SA.
You do not need to agree but it is good to see the libs putting things out for why people might want to vote for them.

It is very positive to see them announcing things they would do instead of just saying what things labor should not be doing.

[Shuz]

#584 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 am

Don't get why they would still retain the right turn from Princes Highway southbound to Copper Coast Highway. Why not do a loop ramp in the south east corner and duplicate the bridge for both lanes. A trumpet style interchange. Removes any collision risk.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#585 Post by Vee » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm

ABC News carried this item on the row over suitability and costings of the proposed Port Wakefield Road single lane overpass.
Marshall - Mullighan spat.

Port Wakefield overpass proposed by SA Liberals, but Labor slams costing.
A road overpass would be built just north of Port Wakefield to improve safety and traffic flows if South Australia's Liberal Opposition wins the March 17 election.

Leader Steven Marshall today promised $12.1 million toward putting a single lane overpass at the intersection of the Augusta and Copper Coast highways, but Labor said that was too little money.

"On a normal day the intersection is used by about 3,000 vehicles, but during holiday weekends this soars to as many as 10,000, creating jams as long as 10 kilometres as vehicles travelling from Yorke Peninsula attempt to merge with traffic travelling south," Mr Marshall said.

Site has history of crashes
The Opposition Leader said the busy intersection had a history of serious and fatal crashes, and the planned improvement would also improve freight transport and tourist access to the area.
Costings?
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan accused the Liberals of massively underestimating the cost.
"There is no way this project could be delivered for the cost that they have outlined," he said.

The Minister said the Opposition had based its costings on a much smaller overpass project which had improved road safety at McLaren Vale, just south of Adelaide.

"This overpass is proposed to be built on the national highway network [and] needs to accommodate large, higher-productivity trucks at high speeds, which is completely different from what the situation is at McLaren Vale," Mr Mullighan said.

He said Parliament's independent budgeting office could have given the Liberals an accurate costing.

"This is a major embarrassment for Steven Marshall and the Liberals, saying they can deliver this project for only a fraction of what it would actually cost," he said.
Mr Marshall took a swipe at Labor for criticising the costing.
"I'm not going to be lectured to by Stephen Mullighan or anyone else in the Labor Party, they just presided over a $600 million blowout on the new Royal Adelaide Hospital," he said.

The SA Liberals indicated they had spoken with the federal Liberals about matching the state commitment.
ABCNews:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-28/p ... ls/9368086