COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C: Northern Expressway | 22km

#331 Post by Aidan » Mon May 10, 2010 3:33 pm

muzzamo wrote:
DM8 wrote:I hope they put a bridge at St Kilda Rd over the Connector, but I fear they'll just close St Kilda Rd either side.
I would have thought it obvious they would bridge it?
The plan shows not just a bridge but also an interchange. I think that's a waste of money - a bridge should be sufficient.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#332 Post by drsmith » Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm

DM8 wrote:By the looks of things, that northbound ramp on to the expressway from Pt Wakefield road might be just temporary. According to the preferred route brochure for the Northern Connector (which admittedly is still in planning, so may change), there will be no northbound access to the Northern Expressway from Pt Wakefield Rd. At least Pt Wakefield Rd traffic will be allowed over the Northern Connector/Expressway in both directions (the original artists impressions showed only one direction - southbound I think), but traffic using Pt Wakefield Rd to access the expressway would have to get on to the Connector at the proposed interchange at Waterloo Corner.

I hope they put a bridge at St Kilda Rd over the Connector, but I fear they'll just close St Kilda Rd either side.
So far there has been three seperate plans for a freeway standard road from the southern end of the Northern Expressway to the Port River Expressway, each more exotic than the last.

The first was to upgrade Port Wakefield Road to a 6-lane freeway as part of the original Northern Expressway project. Cost and practicallity issues with the local access nature of Port Wakefield Road saw this reduced the interim upgrade of Port wakefield road that is now complete.

Having abandoned PWR as a freeway option, the first Northern Connector option was to be a 6-lane (I think) freeway west of the current PWR allignment and connect to the Port River Expressway east of South Road. This is the allignment shown in the map at the bottom of the following web page (slap on the wrist for the person responsible for keeping this page up to date).

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/northern_connector

It is this plan that had PWR southbound only over the Northern Expressway as a single bridge. PWR northbound would have had to access the Northern Connector/Expressway further south most likely via an interchange at Waterloo Corner (extension of Waterloo Corner Road).

The latest (and by far the greatest) plan can be seen from the PDF brochure linked to the above webpage. Estimated to cost $2bn, this is a direct extension of south Road and will consist of an 8-lane freeway with a rail corridoor in the median along much of its length. There are now three bridges as part of the interchange at Port Wakefield Road allowing free flowing traffic in all directions except for the two acute RH turns which are not catered for at all (similar in this respect to the Sailsbury Highway bridge over PWR). The connection with South Road/Port River Expressway is an even more exotic creation and will be a sight to behold if ever built. Access to St Kilda Road will be by an extension of Waterloo Corner Road and interchange with the Northern Connector. St Kilda Road itself will be cut.

At this stage it is unfunded and may require private capital given the huge cost. Its construction by 2016/17 will depend very much on the economic fortunes of China.

King_kong1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#333 Post by King_kong1 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:02 am

Has anyone also noticed that the proposed Northern Connector runs straight through the middle of the new proposed Dry creek redevelopment, with the potential of 20k homes, it will be interesting to see how a 8 lane road and 2 way railline sits within this section of land.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#334 Post by raulduke » Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 am

drsmith wrote:Bridges over the Gawler River were far from complete as at March 30 (Nearmap image).

Also of interest is the spur on the northbound carriageway at the Port Wakefield Road end for the Northern Connector.

The Port Wakefield Road bridge itself clearly caters for both carriageways and the central rail corridoor of the Northern Connector, but there is no bridge on the northbound carriageway of the Northern Expressway where the proposed future railway will exit the expressway median.
dr smith - all of the beams are up in the gawler river, the abutments are being backfilled and pavements will be constructed to tie in the area around the borrow pit over the coming weeks.

PJK1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#335 Post by PJK1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Bridges named after Australian battles - From ABC News On-line

Key battles remembered with bridge names - file photo (ABC TV: Lateline)

Some of Australia's important battles have been recognised as five new bridges were named in Adelaide.
All are part of the nearly-finished Northern Expressway though Adelaide's northern suburbs.
Hamel, Tobruk, Kokoda, Kapyong and Long Tan will be the names of the road bridges at Penfield, Heaslip, Curtis, Angle Vale and Two Wells Roads.
Jock Statton from the RSL says the organisation was consulted and felt recognising battles rather than individuals showed respect for all those involved.
"There'll be history plaques along the side explaining what's the significance of these names," he said.
"We would realise that at 110 kilometres an hour that people wouldn't be able to see it, but those on the bicycle track and walking will be able to have a look and understand the conflicts that have affected Australia."
Bill Schmitt from the Veterans Advisory Council says he is pleased there will be the information about the battles at each location.
"It's unfortunate the younger ones today and you yourselves don't realise what some of these names mean and I think they'll be resurrected and play a great part in the future education of our children," he said.

rhino

#336 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

That's good. I like the idea of honouring a bunch of Aussies instead of a single person at each site. Also, the history panels will give another reason to ride the route.
cheers,
Rhino

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#337 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but is it true the government still hasn't acquired all the land for this to be completed?

Or am I hearing bullshit?

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#338 Post by drsmith » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 pm

raulduke wrote:dr smith - all of the beams are up in the gawler river, the abutments are being backfilled and pavements will be constructed to tie in the area around the borrow pit over the coming weeks.
I'm eagerly awaiting an update to the Nearmap images from their flyover of Adelaide in mid-June. It should be any day now. Hopefully it will go a little further north to include the Gawler Bypass interchange.

Nort

#339 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 pm

JamesXander wrote:I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but is it true the government still hasn't acquired all the land for this to be completed?

Or am I hearing bullshit?
They had better of acquired it, the entire length of the road is pretty much built!

Are you thinking of the Northern Connector maybe?

rhino

#340 Post by rhino » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am

Maybe some of it has been built on private land and negotiations over price of said land are ongoing.
Or you're confusing it with the Northern Connector.
Or you're hearing bullshit.
cheers,
Rhino

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#341 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am

In the tiser this morning. That particular shot shows it looking rather complete..
nexy.jpg
nexy.jpg (216.19 KiB) Viewed 3669 times

ChillyPhilly

#342 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Nearmap imagery has been updated (taken on June 14). Indeed, NExy looks to be more or less complete for about 90% of its length, but sadly we are unable to see beyond the Gawler River.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#343 Post by drwaddles » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 am

Signage spotted on the Gawler Bypass indicates that the Northern Expressway will National Highway M20 and the former A20 route via Main North Road will be A52.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#344 Post by DM8 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

A52? Wouldn't it make more sense to rename it A32 (i.e. Main North Road between Barrier Highway and Sturt Highway)?

IMO looks like a number has just been pulled out of the air (or something else).

I'm gonna go up to Gawler for a look!
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#345 Post by Hooligan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:50 pm

drwaddles wrote:Signage spotted on the Gawler Bypass indicates that the Northern Expressway will National Highway M20 and the former A20 route via Main North Road will be A52.
There are signs right along the project saying M20

Code: Select all

Signature removed