News & Discussion: Monarto Transport Hub

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.

do you agree that Monarto would be a suitable place for another airport?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 25

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

News & Discussion: Monarto Transport Hub

#1 Post by littledyl16 » Mon May 07, 2007 12:39 am

A SECOND major airport for South Australia could be built near Monarto "in the next 10 to 20 years".

Later this month, local government leaders from the Murraylands, Fleurieu and Adelaide Hills will meet and are expected to offer their support for the project.
Murraylands Regional Development Board chief executive Brenton Lewis told The Advertiser yesterday the airport would be part of a "transport hub" which would provide connections for rail and road transport.

It is predicted the airport alone would create up to 700 jobs.

"This project would costs hundreds of millions of dollars . . . but we believe our region is the best-equipped for another major airport in SA," he said. "We have identified land in the Monarto area as the preferred spot . . . "

The airport could include relocating Parafield Airport.

Adelaide Airport corporate affairs manager John McArdle said Adelaide Airport Limited had a 99-year lease for Parafield Airport in its current location

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#2 Post by Cruise » Mon May 07, 2007 1:28 pm

I first thought this was another stupid relocation thread but no good idea!!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Mon May 07, 2007 3:04 pm

Whats the justification?
Adelaide Airport isnt even used to capacity yet.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Mon May 07, 2007 3:40 pm

While I'm not sure on the plan to build a airport similar to Avalon Airport. I think the relocation of Parafield Airport to the proposed transport hub is a good idea.

In 10-20 years time Adelaide Airport is probably not going to be able to cope with the growing domestic flights using one main runway with no more room to build another one. So I think it could be viable to build a airport out there in the future, but definitely not now.

Plus who knows where air travel will be in 20 years time, so much could happen between now and 2027.

Though this is just apart of a greater masterplan to build a transport hub as the area already has a freeway and trainline (Adel-Melb).

If anyone wanted to know both Mt Barker and Murray Bridge (both near the proposed airport) will both have a population of 30,000 by 2025. The Fleurieu (though its a fair distance from Monarto) is growing pretty fast aswell. So the whole the region's population in 20 years would probably be around the 70k mark or higher (not including the upper Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Cruise » Mon May 07, 2007 4:13 pm

crawf wrote:While I'm not sure on the plan to build a airport similar to Avalon Airport. I think the relocation of Parafield Airport to the proposed transport hub is a good idea.

In 10-20 years time Adelaide Airport is probably not going to be able to cope with the growing domestic flights using one main runway with no more room to build another one. So I think it could be viable to build a airport out there in the future, but definitely not now.

Plus who knows where air travel will be in 20 years time, so much could happen between now and 2027.

Though this is just apart of a greater masterplan to build a transport hub as the area already has a freeway and trainline (Adel-Melb).

If anyone wanted to know both Mt Barker and Murray Bridge (both near the proposed airport) will both have a population of 30,000 by 2025. The Fleurieu (though its a fair distance from Monarto) is growing pretty fast aswell. So the whole the region's population in 20 years would probably be around the 70k mark or higher (not including the upper Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu).
30,000 in Mt Barker? how do you know this is this an offical target?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Mon May 07, 2007 4:35 pm

Because theres been a stack of reports about it in the local paper.

Though its not a target figure, its just a estimated population figure by 2025.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Mon May 07, 2007 4:42 pm

crawf wrote:Because theres been a stack of reports about it in the local paper.

Though its not a target figure, its just a estimated population figure by 2025.
The local paper eh? thats why i dont know lol
Thanks crawf

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Wow this is interesting, I guess the outer eastern area would probably be the best place to put a new Adelaide Inti in 20 years I guess. It would be like tullamarine.

But I am not quite clear what is going to happen with parafield? Why would you want to relocate parafield and where is it going to go?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bmw boy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm

does this mean that Adelaide Airport and this proposed new one would each cater for either international and domestic??... if so, im guessing ADL Apt would do domestic...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by AtD » Mon May 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Guys, its chin wagging from no one who has any say in the matter. It's been beat up by the Tiser to make a headline.

Meow.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by bdm » Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 am

Be good if the Govt. can guide the development that's occuring in the 'outer hills' region (Mt Barker, Murray Bridge, Strath, etc) and the Flerieu (sp), upgrading infrastructure to cope..

These are the growth areas of the state.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by shuza » Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 am

Rubbish talk by the Advertiser. As far as I'm concerned, ADL T1 will continue to serve Adelaide for the next 50 years. As for runway expansion, there is still room for the SE/NW to expand into the NW corner across Tapleys Road. Underpassing would be required though.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Putting the airport there was the dumbest thing they ever have done. Sure its close to the CBD and people brag how convenient it is. However West Beach Adelaide Intl should be made into housing, so Parafield and this new Monarto Airport can be used instead later on in the future, as not doing this will affect growth in an area so close to the CBD.

I'm talking a fair while down the track here.

Any thoughts on that??

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 08, 2007 4:50 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Putting the airport there was the dumbest thing they ever have done. Sure its close to the CBD and people brag how convenient it is. However West Beach Adelaide Intl should be made into housing, so Parafield and this new Monarto Airport can be used instead later on in the future, as not doing this will affect growth in an area so close to the CBD.

I'm talking a fair while down the track here.

Any thoughts on that??

I think this idea has its merits, aswell as its downfalls...

But i think if this was a possibility it should've been looked at before the new airport was built, this way if it was found to be feasible, the new airport could could've been built at Parafield and then the current Adelaide airport site could've been used for commercial business parks, housing, golf course etc etc etc....

but The new Adelaide airport was built specifically to be added on to in around 15 years time..... so not sure on how this would really work out...

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by rhino » Tue May 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Looking at the projected populations for Murray Bridge and Mount Barker - that's around 60,000 people, with vehicular access to Adelaide Airport via the freeway and arterial roads of about an hour to an hour and a half. From memory Ballarat currently has a population of around 70,000 people and is a similar distance from Tullamarine airport. Does Ballarat have/need it's own airport? I don't know, but I don't recall seeing any flights Adl-Ballarat last time I was looking at the departures board. If they don't need one, why would Murray Bridge / Mount Barker?
cheers,
Rhino