News & Discussion: Monarto Transport Hub

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.

do you agree that Monarto would be a suitable place for another airport?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 25

thechap
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Article: Transport hub plan east of city

#61 Post by thechap » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm

That is one hell of an exciting prospect!
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:31 pm

The design of Adelaide itself i believe was'nt meant to be overly large. It is not meant to exceed its boundries the parklands.
Adelaide should potetially enlargen through its sattlelight cities, wich are all little replica's of the grid design of Adelaide. Eg North Adelaide, Norwood, Prospect, Walkervile,Unley etc. This is a unique design thanks to Col Light.
Making another sattlelight city makes sence. With out having to rebuild the infrastructure of the existing city you build new ones and link them together with out creating congestion. You have parklands in between them and expressways with superior public transportation that join them.
Greater Adelaide itself however was meant to be big.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by rogue » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:44 pm

I dont get it :? :? :?

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 pm

AG wrote:I don't think double tracking across the Nullabor or to Darwin would be feasible
Not all at once, but there's no reason they can't add more sidings. Eventually they could all join up into a single track. But yeah, unless there's a capacity constraint with the existing setup there's no justification for it. (I'd argue that a second track from Adelaide to Darwin is vital to national security though :))

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by AG » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:15 am

Bulldozer wrote:
AG wrote:I don't think double tracking across the Nullabor or to Darwin would be feasible
Not all at once, but there's no reason they can't add more sidings. Eventually they could all join up into a single track. But yeah, unless there's a capacity constraint with the existing setup there's no justification for it. (I'd argue that a second track from Adelaide to Darwin is vital to national security though :))
Good news, we have enough track to evacuate people from the city if we need to. Now, where are those trains we ordered...

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:10 pm

ynotsfables wrote:Forget all the little intricacies of what line runs where or what road would disadvantage what route. Can't you see what this is. The key word was Monarto. I've always believed that a labour government would one day bring the idea back to life, and what great timing too. With Mount Barkers population evidently increasing as well as that of the Flerieu Peninsula to build infrastructure of this sort including a possible airport to me is the building of a sattelite city. This is very good, plan it well and bring it on. Dunston was right why live like sardines when our population grows build another city we have alot of land in South Australia why put infrastructure pressures on Adelaide.
ynotfables,
I am with you on this one, has huge potential for a lot of things.
1. Short line freight in to the Adelaide hills from Monarto.
2. Mitcham council is pushing for the Bypass.
3. Murray bridge, Mount Barker and possibly other councils are keen for a Logistics Hub at Monarto.
4. Possibly bringing back freight operation to Strathalbyn and Victor harbour.
5. Freeing up the hills line for expanding Railcar Passenger services.
6. Possible return of Steam Ranger to Adelaide Railway Station ( Heaven Forbid)
7. Another Hub at Mallala or in that General area as there are plenty of Places that still have railway line but no services.
8. Short haul freight from Mallala to the Port of Adelaide.

Check out my SAR 2008 Website at,
http://www.freewebs.com/saroeight/

Regards,

Brian Leedham.