[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: #COM: Burnside Village Redevelopment - $107 million

#166 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Take away for those who don't have time to read the attachments...

1. There are grammatical errors in both the news paper article and the pamphlet.
2. Also the tree is sick.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#167 Post by dbl96 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:12 pm

I was talking to the people at the banks on Greenhill Road. They say that Burnside Village is in negotiation with them about another stage of the expansion which would result in the shopping centre expanding all the way to greenhill road.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#168 Post by Vee » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am

Burnside Village redevelopment has 7 stages on the masterplan, having just completed stage 3. The only way to extend is towards Greenhill Road (or vertically?).

I'm not sure what the timeframe for the next 4 stages is but the post GFC volatility and increasing trend towards online shopping does raise question marks about future expansion plans for bricks and mortar shopping centres and retail strips in general. Some may need to reinvent or repurpose/integrate residential development (densification).

The social aspects of shopping, browsing, catching up with friends and casual dining etc should remain (subject to free or low cost parking). Norwood's linear shopping strip (and extra malls) seems to have the right balance and cosmopolitan atmosphere.

The branding of the Burnside Village extension to Greenhill Road appears to have gained an early start with the distinctive logo (grapevine leaf) in a prominent location on the ANZ bank building on the corner of Greenhill Road.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#169 Post by fishinajar » Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 am

Vee wrote:Burnside Village redevelopment has 7 stages on the masterplan, having just completed stage 3. The only way to extend is towards Greenhill Road (or vertically?).

I'm not sure what the timeframe for the next 4 stages is but the post GFC volatility and increasing trend towards online shopping does raise question marks about future expansion plans for bricks and mortar shopping centres and retail strips in general. Some may need to reinvent or repurpose/integrate residential development (densification).

The social aspects of shopping, browsing, catching up with friends and casual dining etc should remain (subject to free or low cost parking). Norwood's linear shopping strip (and extra malls) seems to have the right balance and cosmopolitan atmosphere.

The branding of the Burnside Village extension to Greenhill Road appears to have gained an early start with the distinctive logo (grapevine leaf) in a prominent location on the ANZ bank building on the corner of Greenhill Road.
Not sure about onsite residences and parking being essential for the future of retail centres

Vee
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by Vee » Thu May 24, 2012 12:37 pm

fishinajar wrote: Not sure about onsite residences and parking being essential for the future of retail centres
I was not thinking about Burnside Village for a residential component. One example is the thinking of mixed retail residential in redevelopment such as the Norwood Parade linear strip with ideas (only mooted) such as replacing the Coles complex, mall, carpark. There are other locations in the suburbs that would fit in with densification and multi use residential above retail, with the added benefit of good public transport access.

Free car parking at major shopping centres is currently a vital ingredient for success - for convenience and carrying purchases home, particularly when combined with supermarket shopping. It's needed for people with disabilities, mothers with prams/strollers etc to provide easier access to shopping.

How likely is it that the changes in people's purchasing and leisure/lifestyle habits, improved broadband connections, changes in work eg more work from home scenarios, changes in energy/transport/technology etc could cause a massive rethink?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by fishinajar » Fri May 25, 2012 9:14 am

As time passes, public transport improves along with public attitude I think more people will be happy to pt it to shopping destinations especially so for recreational shopping, fashion and cafe and restaurant culture (the later I would argue to be a more essential component for future survival and success). Groceries all though a nesesesity is low rent return space. I think also we'll see more centers moving to a cheap parking rather than free parking model. Come to think of it retail centers will not be alone on that one. More dense development elsewhere will create more single and no car households, which will surely contribute to boost and normalize pt attitudes and behaviors.

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#172 Post by build 'em smarter » Fri May 25, 2012 3:55 pm

fishinajar wrote:As time passes, public transport improves along with public attitude I think more people will be happy to pt it to shopping destinations especially so for recreational shopping, fashion and cafe and restaurant culture (the later I would argue to be a more essential component for future survival and success). Groceries all though a nesesesity is low rent return space. I think also we'll see more centers moving to a cheap parking rather than free parking model. Come to think of it retail centers will not be alone on that one. More dense development elsewhere will create more single and no car households, which will surely contribute to boost and normalize pt attitudes and behaviors.
I doubt at any stage during my lifetime will public transport be a preferred mode of transport to Burnside Village. This is the same shopping centre that has extra wide "4wd only" carparks. The demographic of the majority of the shoppers there and also the lack of public transport options in the area being my main reasons for thinking this.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#173 Post by mutt » Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Waewick wrote:
vozdra wrote:Has it been confirmed that the tree is dying, or is it just speculation? It would be a shame if the tree perished, especially considering the role it has in the redevelopment.

it isn't dying.

I actually got a fairly reasonable explanation as well.

Because the Tree is now indoors, it doesn't get the breezes which would normal disburse dead leaves (anyone with a gum tree would know what I am talking about) so the leaves just stay on the tree - hence the dead look.

from what I can understand the tree has a dedicated arborist who now comes in to maintain the tree's health (from the sound of the person I was discussing it with they were getting pretty tired of being told by people that it is dying)
the tree is dying, its now been admitted

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#174 Post by Wayno » Fri May 25, 2012 8:34 pm

mutt wrote:the tree is dying, its now been admitted
not denying, but source?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#175 Post by mutt » Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Wayno wrote:
mutt wrote:the tree is dying, its now been admitted
not denying, but source?
it was in the messenger
last time I mentioned it here, mods deleted my post. I guess they're angry with me :secret:

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#176 Post by Nathan » Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 pm

It has not been admitted that it's "dying". Some experts have suggested that it's stresse, which is causing it's health to deteriorate, but that the problem can be addressed by increasing the amount of light the tree gets.

STRESSED: The Burnside Village tree is stressed and losing leaves.
TREE experts have finally confirmed what shoppers have been saying for months - the river red gum at the centre of Burnside Village is stressed and its health is declining.

But there is some good news, with the same experts saying the 100-year-old tree can still be saved by increasing the amount of light it sees.

Eucalypt expert Dean Nicolle said the tree’s health had visibly deteriorated since the redeveloped Burnside Village opened six months ago.

He said while the root system had been well protected, the 18m tree was stressed due to a lack of light.

“It’s a species that requires high light levels and sunlight,” Dr Nicolle said.

“Compared to outdoor conditions it’s relatively dark (under the roof) ... especially when it was previously in direct sunlight.

“At the end of the day it’s not enough light to survive.

“The tree will continue to decline particularly as we go into winter months.”

He doubted the tree would be alive in two years if light levels were not increased.

“The only way you could rectify it is to take the roof off over the tree or increase light levels through artificial lighting. But either option might not be practical in this case when you consider the shopping environment it’s in.”

David Lawry, director of TreeNet, a conservation group based at the University of Adelaide’s Waite Campus, agreed the tree was not getting enough light and the undergrowth was dying off.

“Clearly there is a problem with the tree being able to photosynthesis adequately ... but it doesn’t mean the tree is going to die,” Mr Lawry told the Eastern Courier Messenger after observing the tree last week.

“The good news is, if it’s light, you can do something about it.”

Mr Lawry suggested illuminating the tree with strong, artificial lights at night when the centre was closed.

Arborist Marcus Lodge, who has looked after the gum for the past 10 years, would investigate possible stresses on the tree, including insects as well as a lack of light and wind.

“The upper canopy is healthy but the under canopy is quite thin,” Mr Lodge said.

“The branches are alive but there’s not a lot of foliage. We’re trying to look at all the factors and eliminate them all one by one.”

He said people should not be alarmed by the tree’s appearance.

“As far as I’m concerned, the future is still bright,” he said.

Burnside Village management did not respond to a request for comment before the Eastern Courier Messenger deadline.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by Hooligan » Fri May 25, 2012 10:33 pm

At the end of the day, it's just a tree. there's plenty of A4 pages they could make out of that tree so all the Burnside desk jockeys can keep busy with them.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#178 Post by mutt » Sat May 26, 2012 1:37 am

ie its dying

what do you think a tree that is decades old that suddenly got sick from being indoors is going to get better again? the tree's got a touch more than a cold chief.

geez, you probably need to ducks to tell you that they're quacking too
Nathan wrote:It has not been admitted that it's "dying". Some experts have suggested that it's stresse, which is causing it's health to deteriorate, but that the problem can be addressed by increasing the amount of light the tree gets.

STRESSED: The Burnside Village tree is stressed and losing leaves.
TREE experts have finally confirmed what shoppers have been saying for months - the river red gum at the centre of Burnside Village is stressed and its health is declining.

But there is some good news, with the same experts saying the 100-year-old tree can still be saved by increasing the amount of light it sees.

Eucalypt expert Dean Nicolle said the tree’s health had visibly deteriorated since the redeveloped Burnside Village opened six months ago.

He said while the root system had been well protected, the 18m tree was stressed due to a lack of light.

“It’s a species that requires high light levels and sunlight,” Dr Nicolle said.

“Compared to outdoor conditions it’s relatively dark (under the roof) ... especially when it was previously in direct sunlight.

“At the end of the day it’s not enough light to survive.

“The tree will continue to decline particularly as we go into winter months.”

He doubted the tree would be alive in two years if light levels were not increased.

“The only way you could rectify it is to take the roof off over the tree or increase light levels through artificial lighting. But either option might not be practical in this case when you consider the shopping environment it’s in.”

David Lawry, director of TreeNet, a conservation group based at the University of Adelaide’s Waite Campus, agreed the tree was not getting enough light and the undergrowth was dying off.

“Clearly there is a problem with the tree being able to photosynthesis adequately ... but it doesn’t mean the tree is going to die,” Mr Lawry told the Eastern Courier Messenger after observing the tree last week.

Mr Lawry suggested illuminating the tree with strong, artificial lights at night when the centre was closed.

Arborist Marcus Lodge, who has looked after the gum for the past 10 years, would investigate possible stresses on the tree, including insects as well as a lack of light and wind.

“The upper canopy is healthy but the under canopy is quite thin,” Mr Lodge said.

“The branches are alive but there’s not a lot of foliage. We’re trying to look at all the factors and eliminate them all one by one.”

Burnside Village management did not respond to a request for comment before the Eastern Courier Messenger deadline.

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#179 Post by vozdra » Sat May 26, 2012 10:51 am

Hooligan wrote:At the end of the day, it's just a tree. there's plenty of A4 pages they could make out of that tree so all the Burnside desk jockeys can keep busy with them.
Well, i wouldn't just say that it's just a tree considering the context in which it sits. It adds a lot to burnside village.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#180 Post by Nathan » Sat May 26, 2012 11:07 am

Mutt, re-read the article - not just the bits that support your argument