Summer Olympic Bids

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.

Which continent would you prefer to see the next games in?

Africa
38%
Asia
13%
Australia/ Oceania
25%
Europe
No votes
North America
25%
South America
No votes

Total votes: 8

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

Summer Olympic Bids

#1 Post by Thanial » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 am

On the back of the recent Summer Olympic Games in London, I thought I'd start a thread to list the potential bids for upcoming Summer Olympic Games. There are similar threads on SkyscraperCity about this topic which have proved very popular, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for those of you who don't also have an account with SkyscraperCity.

The poll at the top of the page excludes Antarctica for obvious reasons.

This post will be continually updated when new bids (both confirmed and potential) are revealed for future games, though other info will be given its own post. I'll only be posting information on Summer Olympic Games' bids, as it is generally the games most sought-after by cities around the world.

There will be a poll attached with each upcoming games so that you can choose which possible candidate you'd prefer to see host the games!
  • Please note, bids highlighted are those being considered favourites

2020 Summer Olympics
Click the link to choose your host city! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NNPR627

Candidate cities
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Tokyo, Japan
- Madrid, Spain

Non-selected applicant cities
- Baku, Azerbaijan
- Doha, Qatar

Cancelled bids
- Rome, Italy

2024 Summer Olympics
Click the link to choose your host city! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N3PM3W8

Potential bids
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Durban, South Africa

- Taipei, Taiwan
- Doha, Qatar
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates

- Baku, Azerbaijan
- Paris, France
- Berlin, Germany
- Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Kazan, Russia
- Kiev, Ukraine

- Toronto, Canada
- Dallas, United States
- Baltimore-Washington, United States
- Tulsa, United States

2028 Summer Olympics
Click the link to choose your host city! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NGFMG2X

Potential bids
- Cairo, Egypt
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Durban, South Africa

- Brisbane, Australia
- Melbourne, Australia

- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Moscow, Russia

- Seattle, United States/ Vancouver, Canada

- Buenos Aires, Argentina
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please feel free to post, reply and state your opinions!

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Summer Olympic Bids

#2 Post by Thanial » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 am

Bid Poll Results
Last Updated: 9 December 2012
2020 Summer Olympics
Picture 8.png
Picture 8.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 10305 times
2024 Summer Olympics
Paris, France- 15.0%
Saint Petersburg, Russia- 15.0%
Toronto, Canada- 15.0%
Baltimore-Washington, United States- 10.0%
Dubai, United Arab Emirates- 8.3%
Nairobi, Kenya- 6.7%
Taipei, Taiwan- 5.0%
Berlin, Germany- 5.0%
Doha, Qatar- 3.3%
Kiev, Ukraine- 3.3%
Dallas, United States- 3.3%
Los Angeles, United States- 3.3%
Casablanca, Morocco- 1.7%
Durban, South Africa- 1.7%
Baku, Azerbaijan- 1.7%
Kazan, Russia- 1.7%

2028 Summer Olympics
Moscow, Russia- 19.5%
Durban, South Africa- 17.1%
Cairo, Egypt- 12.2%
Seattle, United States/ Vancouver, Canada- 12.2%
Amsterdam, Netherlands- 9.8%
Nairobi, Kenya- 7.3%
Melbourne, Australia- 7.3%
Casablanca, Morocco- 4.9%
Rotterdam, Netherlands- 4.9%
Buenos Aires, Argentina- 4.9%

This will be updated every now and then :D

Hope you all enjoy my little thread- my first by the way :cheers:
Last edited by Thanial on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks for the info. You should have a middle east section as well.

i personally think Dubai would pull off something pretty awesome although their weather could be their downdfall.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Thanial » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks for the comment Ben, I was originally thinking of having a Middle Eastern section though I eventually decided just to add their bids in with the Asian ones since their weren't that many of either at the moment.

I also think Dubai could host a fantastic Olympics, though Doha (who have made bids twice before) failed to reach candidature status both times, and both times despite having a higher score than other bids that made the finals (Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and Istanbul in 2020). So I wouldn't look to far past Istanbul to claim 2020 considering the history. Still, the IOC would probably favour a Dubai bid over that of a Doha one considering the mass amounts of tourism and already in place infrastructure in the city. Don't forget to take the polls if you get the chance :D

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I reckon it will be Istanbul 2020, followed by Toronto 2024.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

2024 United States bid news

#6 Post by Thanial » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 am

Wendesday, 29 August 2012
USOC Panel To Study An Olympic Bid

THE U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) has appointed a five-member panel to decide whether it should bid for a future Olympic Games. The announcement was made Tuesday.
Members of the panel are International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Anita DeFrantz, USA Hockey executive Dave Ogrean, Angela Ruggiero, Mike Plant and Susanne Lyons.

The group is to report to the entire USOC board at its quarterly meeting in December. Under consideration are the 2024 Summer Olympics and the 2026 Winter Olympic Games.

The United States hasn't hosted an Olympics since the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Games. The last U.S. Summer Olympics was in 1996 in Atlanta.
At the moment the most likely US bids are from Dallas, Los Angeles, Baltimore-Washington and Tulsa. Though Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, and a joint bid between Buffalo and Toronto is also rumoured at the moment. I personally would rather see a Canadian city host the next North American games, especially considering none of the current potential US bids are particularly fantastic.
Last edited by Thanial on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

2024 Nairobi bid news

#7 Post by Thanial » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 am

Wendesday, 29 August 2012
Raila defends Kenya's London show and roots for Olympic bid

PRIME Minister Raila Odinga has defended Kenya’s performance at the London Games and drummed up support for a Kenyan bid for the 2024 Olympics.

Speaking during the Prime Minister’s time in Parliament on Wednesday afternoon, Odinga said time was ripe for a Kenyan Olympic bid to spur development such as that witnessed by previous hosts of the world’s biggest sporting showcase.

The Prime Minister was under pressure from Members of Parliament to explain what was considered as a below par performance, by Kenya’s high standards, that saw the country bag just two gold medals, four silver and five bronze.

At the last Olympic Games in Beijing four years ago, Kenya won a record six gold, four silver and four bronze medals that included Kenya’s first Olympic women’s gold medals by Pamela Jelimo and Nancy Jebet Lagat in the 800 metres and 1,500 metres respectively.

“Our performance in London was better than our performance in Munich in 1972, better than Los Angeles in 1984, Barcelona in 1992, Atlanta in 1996, Sydney in 2000 and Athens in 2004,” the Prime Minister said.

He, however, noted that all was not well with the team’s preparations for the London Games.

“It is unfortunate that there were attempts to politicise the composition of the team, problems of accreditation, the decision by some athletes to boycott residential training, some disagreement by some officials over the training camps while in the UK.

“And differences over travel dates, uncoordinated distribution of kit, and the pre-competition injuries sustained by some athletes undermined our participation,” Odinga said.

He said the government and the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) were working together to improve of Kenya’s training and team management.

“Other areas of review include how officials are appointed, how to improve the level of co-operation between federations and the National Olympic Committee and how to limit the influence of managers and spouses of athletes during Olympic Games.

The Prime Minister, along with Sports Minister Paul Otuoma, noted that reports are still awaited from investigations over the London performance ordered by President Kibaki and Kenya’s chaotic participation at last year’s All Africa Games in Maputo, the latter being handled by a Parliamentary committee.

The Prime Minister added that his interest in Kenya bidding to host the 2024 Olympics was informed by the success stories of previous hosts such as Mexico, who hosted the 1968 Games.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by Thanial » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:09 am

[Shuz] wrote:I reckon it will be Istanbul 2020, followed by Toronto 2024.
I can't disagree, Istanbul is my pick for 2020, I reckon they've got a huge chance of winning it. Toronto is one of the bids I'm tipping for 2024 as well, along with Paris and Dubai (and a lot of people also reckon Durban has a big shot at it).

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

2024 Dubai bid news

#9 Post by Thanial » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Wendesday, 5 December 2012
Dubai Will Bid For 2024 Summer Games

THE National reports that Dubai will bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games as soon as an expected go-ahead from the government comes through, Abdulrahman Falaknaz, the NOC finance director, said Tuesday.

He said, "our bidding has started already. The UAE has the infrastructure, capability, manpower and know-how to host such events. There is pressure on cities when they host huge events like the Olympics, but Dubai and the UAE can take it.

"We have staged events before - the International Monetary Fund annual meeting in 2003, which everyone thought was fantastic. We have the World Youth Cup in (the UAE in 2003) and recently the F1 Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi, one of the best in the world. I can assure you that our bid will be a comprehensive and winning bid".

Yousuf Yaqoob Alserkal, vice president and chairman of the United Arab Emirate's National Olympic Committee (NOC), said at the sidelines of the Emerging Host Cities conference, a two-day forum on hosting major sporting events which started Tuesday, that the Dubai committee, which was formed in 2008 to work out Olympic bidding procedures was still in place and he confirmed that the sheikhdom will effectively submit a bid for 2024, reports Xinhua.

Dubai has all sorts of required infrastructure for athletic sports, swimming, football, tennis or basketball, said Alserkal, "so we think in general we would be ready to host a multi-sports events".

Falaknaz said that representatives from Dubai have been consulting senior figures from past host cities of the biggest event in sports. He said, "we have been talking to Olympic cities like Sydney, Beijing and London, which we had a very close relationships with. Everybody has to learn all the time, and we are learning".

When asked what Dubai still needs to do, Falaknaz said, "to bid is one thing, to be successful another, and then to run the event another. We need to work on hotel accommodation and roads. We have already opened the Metro here and that will link up with Abu Dhabi".

Eighteen cities are thought to be preparing a bid for the 2024 Games, and bidding will begin in 2015, with the winner announced by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2017.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

2024 Rome bid news

#10 Post by Thanial » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 am

Monday, 10 December 2012
Rome Will Bid For 2024 Summer Olympic Games

ROME'S mayor Gianni Alemanno said Sunday that Rome is preparing a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. The city dropped its bid in February for the 2020 Summer Games a day before the deadline for submission to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after it failed to secure the support of the Italian government.

Alemanno said, "we have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics".

He told the opening session of the European Olympic Committees general assembly Friday in Rome, "this is a city with an Olympic tradition", referring to Rome's hosting the 1960 Olympics. "We presented our candidature for 2020, but due to political reasons, wrongly in my opinion, decided to withdraw. We will persevere and try again in 2024 as we are a very proud city and believe in this event".

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Hope Tokyo gets 2020.